Travelling with water in the freshwater tank ? (1 Viewer)

Charlie

Free Member
May 16, 2015
Herefordshire / Worcestershire borders .
Funster No
MH
Auto Sleeper Kemerton.
Exp
Im a newbie
Do you folk carry water when travelling ? We have up to now taken enough water for a brew in plastic bottles. But is it fine to fill the fresh water tank with say 20 litres and drive with that ?

I'm not talking about a full tank as that would be daft just enough for a brew every now and then.

Must admit I've driven with water in the tank and not heard or felt it sloshing about.

Are the tanks baffled ? And what do you do ?

Cheers .
3459062273.gif

Cal54

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 25, 2014
Southport, UK
Funster No
MH
Leisuredrive Renoir
Exp
Since 1996
As above, if going to a show I take at least half a tank. I can't imagine that you will notice any difference in the driving unless of course you have a huge tank.

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
travel full and fill /top up at every opertunity . even 10 litres here 10 litres there looks like you are only using a little amount . never use a hose as that looks like you are taking hundreds of litres to the public .

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
Another vote for full, we fill up whenever we can get within our hoses length can't be doing with faffing about with watering cans and stuff, when full we can easily go 3 days without filling so ready to settle down as soon as the handbrake goes on .
So as we leave a site we fill up the extra weight has never showed in any increased mpg which is the main usual reason for traveling empty.

Jan 8, 2013
Dronfield - Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Burstner Lyseo 690G
Exp
Happy FLT since 2011
I don't use sites so always travel full.

I also don't use sites and I only ever carry a quarter tank. I do have a 5lr water bottle for making coffee.
Especially if you are travelling any distance, what's the point of taking a ton of water to France, what a waste of fuel. Invariable the first Aire stop will have water.
You can always find water even in this country - if you look for it. Even Asda garages have a free water tap.
We have just spent a week on the East Coast, we needed to top up twice, once in Whitby and once in Grosmont.

sdc77

Free Member
Jan 28, 2013
Weardale, Co Durham
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
since 2011
We travel with some water. . No more than a quarter tank so we can have a shower if we need to.
For a brew we have a thermal flask with the remainder of the last boiled kettles water in it so it's quicker to boil up.

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
i go to places where there is no water even moving slowly you might not find water . i can last upto three weeks with out filling .
yes even in maroc water is in ever village , but why rush anywhere . we stop out in the wilds and enjoy the adventure . sometimes we are near reservoirs so have more water than a big town could drink. good filters come in handy then . but 100 litres is only one persons weight so dont worry too much .
i can carry 500 litre of fuel. you have to if going down through africa etc .

JeanLuc

Free Member
Nov 17, 2008
Warwickshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer B630 Star-Line
Exp
Since 2007
Always full and a few bottles of mineral water for drinking. As regular users of camperstops abroad our golden rule is to fill when possible and empty (grey and toilet) at every opportunity.

GWAYGWAY

Free Member
Sep 6, 2014
Dover
Funster No
MH
Hymer ML I 580
Exp
4 years
I never know quite how much I have as the sensor is rubbish and reads what it feels like.
I am going to put a sight tube in when I can find a suitable red bead that floats. It says 1/3 when full and empty when half. I end up having to unscrew the seat base to look at it. Worst was red warning of completely out with 80 litres on board.
I did try filling once in a garage with the radiator top up hose and IT WAS SOOOOO SLOW.

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
That would be 200 kilos or two 15 stone passengers.
all depends where you are going . i sometimes carry 500litres of fuel 300litres of water and 300 litres of wine .
the wine is valuable when traveling in some countries . a litre might get you a gallon of fuel or 100 litres of water.
might not work if you dont leave eu. but works in africa or heading east.

Forestboy

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 31, 2007
Forest of Dean
Funster No
MH
A Class Hymer B694 tag
Exp
My vans 5000kgs loaded dont think a few hundred kgs of water is gonna make a massive difference to mpg.
Don't intend to spend my time searching for water when I have a big tank and a massive payload just too save .001p per mile on fuel.
Have a spare cassette as well.:):p

swanseajack13

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 19, 2013
Swansea
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
3 years
we travel full and sell our welsh water in bottles like dell boy , welsh water the drink of the gods but can some one stop it bloody raining in wales, the price is so low now cannot save for a new m/h lol still lol

Jabberwocky

Free Member
Aug 14, 2015
Yeovil
Funster No
MH
MWB coach build
Exp
I'm a newbie
I don't really see the point of having an onboard water tank if you aren't going to use it, fill up before leaving home and top up when needed.

If you have a very big tank then it's safer to travel either full or empty, 100lts in a 200ltr tank will slosh about a lot.

Different scales but I used to drive milk tankers and 15000 litres in a 30000 litre tank is a 'fun' experience, especially when someone pulls out in front of you and you have to slam on the brakes, 15 tonne of milk makes one hell of a battering ram as it slams into the front of the tank at 50mph! And again as it hits the rear of the tank, and then the front again, and the back again.

The most dangerous truck on the roads is a part laden milk tanker.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back