Laptop Charger WANTED!! (1 Viewer)

Bulletguy

Free Member
Feb 7, 2008
Cheshire/Staffs
Funster No
Looking for a 12volt car charger for my Laptop.

Yes there are loads of the damn things on eBay all around a fiver or tenner.....but none will fit my laptop which is a Dell Latitude E5500.The plug is unusually large with an o/d of 7.4mm.

Maplins stock a 'universal' kit with the correct plug in but I nearly had a heart failure at the price......£40!! :whatthe::whatthe:
Link Removed

Tried 'googling' with very little luck.

Anyone any other ideas or know where i might get one at a more sensible price?

gypsylady

Free Member
Jun 24, 2008
Durham
Funster No
MH
A Happy One
Exp
Since 2005
Laptop Adaptor

Thats the same adaptor I bougtht from a Hong Kong trader on EBAY.

I didn't pay anywhere near £40.

We tend not to use it though. We have a large inverter £29.99 frrom maplins and use the normal charger when we are moving. The laptop will do 3 hours on battery.

Good Luck with your search.

OP
OP
B

Bulletguy

Free Member
Feb 7, 2008
Cheshire/Staffs
Funster No
Thats the same adaptor I bougtht from a Hong Kong trader on EBAY.

I didn't pay anywhere near £40.
Hmmmm......i know they are on there but they are not all what they appear to be. I bought one a few weeks back. His 'blurb' read ok...suitable for Dell Latitude.....and though it was posted out from from Guernsey, it was definately a 'Hong Kong' dealer.

Needless to say when it arrived not one of the plugs fitted and it took me almost a month to get a refund using PayPals dispute procedure. His mistake was describing it as 'suitable for Dell Latitude'. Had he not put that in, i would have struggled to get my money back.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
B

Bulletguy

Free Member
Feb 7, 2008
Cheshire/Staffs
Funster No
Here is an example off a disgruntled eBay buyer who left a negative. Probably the same charger as you bought.

Product not suitable advertised incorrectly bad comms Buyer: mark271264 ( 96) 18-Feb-09 03:11
Reply by combazaar (19-Feb-09 06:43):
we shipped as described,we answered buyer's questions, need more patience

Universal IBM Sony Dell HP Notebook Laptop Car Charger (#290291379514) £7.49

S

sinbad1

Deleted User
universal one [ame="http://www.amazon.co.uk/My-Link-UNIVERSAL-AC-DC-LAPTOP-ADAPTOR/dp/B000YKX5LM/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1241889084&sr=8-3"]click here[/ame]

bit further down is a dell compatible one £15.49

Last edited by a moderator:

gypsylady

Free Member
Jun 24, 2008
Durham
Funster No
MH
A Happy One
Exp
Since 2005
Charger

Try This

£19.99 plus £3.00 postage from Derbyshire

Link Removed

S

sinbad1

Deleted User
Seems to be mains.....i'm after an 'in car' 12 volt charger.

Sorry should have gone to specsavers::bigsmile:

Actually maplins do a 120w for £29.99 which may be suitable for you, its the one i bought works great.
Comes as a variable voltage with a variety of lappy connections.

Link Removed

OP
OP
B

Bulletguy

Free Member
Feb 7, 2008
Cheshire/Staffs
Funster No
Sorry should have gone to specsavers::bigsmile:

Actually maplins do a 120w for £29.99 which may be suitable for you, its the one i bought works great.
Comes as a variable voltage with a variety of lappy connections.

Link Removed
Yes i've already seen that one but it's no use to me because the largest size plug is 6.5mm....and i need 7.4mm with a centre pin.

It also says N/A - Dell-type power connector. Believe it or not thats the one extra connector in the other charger Maplins sell. At £10 more it makes it probably the most expensive tiny plug on planet earth! :Angry:

OP
OP
B

Bulletguy

Free Member
Feb 7, 2008
Cheshire/Staffs
Funster No
Their is a shop in Bolton Audio Video Accessories and Electronic Components Online - Bolton UK ask for Diane she knows everything about electronic spares...
I will give them a call.

That shop looks exactly like one which was run for years in my local town centre by two brothers. An excellent electronics shop where you could buy everything and anything electrical, and of course, they also knew what they were talking about. Sadly it recently closed down as the older brother was 85 so felt they'd had enough!

Thepips

Trade Member
Sep 26, 2007
Basingstoke
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
If it's a fairly recent lappie then don't bother, use an inverter. Dell have put a signal on their power adapter, If the laptop doesn't receive the correct signal it won't charge.
We've been selling power adapters for many years but stopped doing Dell. Just in case you want to see it here's the link Power adapter tips. Look at tip K.

Regards
Doug

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2007
Lincs/Cambs border
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp
Since May 05 (Ex Tuggers).
Looking for a 12volt car charger for my Laptop.

Yes there are loads of the damn things on eBay all around a fiver or tenner.....but none will fit my laptop which is a Dell Latitude E5500.The plug is unusually large with an o/d of 7.4mm.

Maplins stock a 'universal' kit with the correct plug in but I nearly had a heart failure at the price......£40!! :whatthe::whatthe:
Link Removed

Tried 'googling' with very little luck.

Anyone any other ideas or know where i might get one at a more sensible price?

Hi there,

Doug's advice is spot on. :thumb:

I have been down the same road with little success until "Active Campers" gave me a heads up for one of these.
There are different ratings depending upon your laptop. Ours is a Latitude D500 rated at 65watts whereas "Sundowner's" is a more modern unit rated at 90watts, which took longer to charge, when they borrowed the charger.
I got ours from Ebay for something under £30, and it is a genuine Dell charger.

Have a look Here on Ebay.

HTH,

Jock.

OP
OP
B

Bulletguy

Free Member
Feb 7, 2008
Cheshire/Staffs
Funster No
If it's a fairly recent lappie then don't bother, use an inverter. Dell have put a signal on their power adapter, If the laptop doesn't receive the correct signal it won't charge.....
Doug's advice is spot on. :thumb:

I have been down the same road with little success until "Active Campers" gave me a heads up for one of these.
There are different ratings depending upon your laptop. Ours is a Latitude D500 rated at 65watts whereas "Sundowner's" is a more modern unit rated at 90watts, which took longer to charge, when they borrowed the charger.
I got ours from Ebay for something under £30, and it is a genuine Dell charger.

Have a look Here on Ebay.
Thanks for the 'info'.

Dell certainly know how to force you to buy their stuff. :Angry: Wonder what happened to open marketing?

Looked at those on eBay and the best price for my lappy (Latitude E5500) i found was this one;

Link Removed

Output power on my ac adapter is rated at 90w. This car charger rates at 65w. Is that enough to power up plus charge as well?

Thepips

Trade Member
Sep 26, 2007
Basingstoke
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
Sounds to me that you've got the high power mains adapter that's also designed to be used on their docking stations. They do a lighter 65 watt power adapter for taking away with you. The signal from the power adapters "tells" the laptop how much power it's got and the laptop automatically adjusts its power settings accordingly. With the 65 watt adapter the screen will be dimmer and the processor is also run at a lower clock speed until the battery is fully charged.

Regards
Doug

OP
OP
B

Bulletguy

Free Member
Feb 7, 2008
Cheshire/Staffs
Funster No
Sounds to me that you've got the high power mains adapter that's also designed to be used on their docking stations. They do a lighter 65 watt power adapter for taking away with you. The signal from the power adapters "tells" the laptop how much power it's got and the laptop automatically adjusts its power settings accordingly. With the 65 watt adapter the screen will be dimmer and the processor is also run at a lower clock speed until the battery is fully charged.
Yes my son who is now a lot more 'pc literate' than i am, mentioned it had 'docking station' facility. Afraid it didn't mean a lot to me as i said to him at the time i've no intention of touring the galaxy.....just Europe.
Guess i'm getting old! :Sad:

So is this 65w charger up to the job for my model laptop or not? Would i need to alter the input voltage setting on it to get the right output (assuming it is variable)?

Thepips

Trade Member
Sep 26, 2007
Basingstoke
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
The 65 watt adapter is fine and as the Dell adapters are preset to the correct voltage it's just plug in and go. You may find that the laptop runs slower and the screen dimmer when the battery is flat. Nothing to worry about, it's simply the laptop managing it's power automatically.

OP
OP
B

Bulletguy

Free Member
Feb 7, 2008
Cheshire/Staffs
Funster No
The 65 watt adapter is fine and as the Dell adapters are preset to the correct voltage it's just plug in and go. You may find that the laptop runs slower and the screen dimmer when the battery is flat. Nothing to worry about, it's simply the laptop managing it's power automatically.
Think i'll go for it then. Darn site cheaper than the thing at Maplins anyway.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back