mjltigger

Free Member
Nov 12, 2014
Trowbridge
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Dakota Max
Exp
I can't believe how much is being charged for these leads.. is there any reason I can't get a schuko plug in a supermarket next time I'm out there and make my own?

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
none whatsoever. just make sure to buy a quality one as cheapies are thin plastic etc so not as safe
tons of them on ebay if not

OP
OP
mjltigger

mjltigger

Free Member
Nov 12, 2014
Trowbridge
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Dakota Max
Exp
Thanks @thebigone I've ordered one off Amazon and will knock up the lead tomorrow night. I have UK to eu adapters here to test it with..

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
And if you buy your own plug make sure it also has the hole for the French earth pin as well as the contacts on the side. But as above, not expensive when bought online.

OP
OP
mjltigger

mjltigger

Free Member
Nov 12, 2014
Trowbridge
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Dakota Max
Exp
Would you believe it.. hit buy on Amazon for a plug for £2 and after it processed said here's what other people who bought that also bought... Yep, made up adapter lead for under a fiver... problem solved. Why when I was searching though was nothing under £25 coming up...

Kool Kroozer

Free Member
Apr 19, 2014
Cannock Staffordshire
Funster No
MH
Low Profile Hobby Premium
Exp
Always learning
We were really precautions when we went to France & Spain last year, making sure we had the proper leads an connectors etc etc, funny thing was we never used any of them, all the camp sites we stayed on had the same fittings as we use over here in the UK - whats all that about ?

Forestboy

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 31, 2007
Forest of Dean
Funster No
MH
A Class Hymer B694 tag
Exp
We were really precautions when we went to France & Spain last year, making sure we had the proper leads an connectors etc etc, funny thing was we never used any of them, all the camp sites we stayed on had the same fittings as we use over here in the UK - whats all that about ?

Getting that way now my adaptors get used less and less still find the occasional oddity but not often. Sods law says if you don't carry em you're guaranteed to need em though.:)

OP
OP
mjltigger

mjltigger

Free Member
Nov 12, 2014
Trowbridge
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Dakota Max
Exp

I've never bothered but one of the sites I'm looking at for the bank holiday specify Euro connections on their web site so I figured I'd get one and keep it under the seat with the rest of the leads.

Nov 6, 2013
S. Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
The usual
Exp
Since the beginning
Would you believe it.. hit buy on Amazon for a plug for £2 and after it processed said here's what other people who bought that also bought... Yep, made up adapter lead for under a fiver... problem solved. Why when I was searching though was nothing under £25 coming up...
Motorhome tax :rolleyes:

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
I thought he was talking about a standard IEC mains lead (kettle lead), title a bit misleading.

OP
OP
mjltigger

mjltigger

Free Member
Nov 12, 2014
Trowbridge
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Dakota Max
Exp
I am not quite certain what the complaint is?

Price of complete lead?
Price of Plug/Socket?
My complaint was the price of the made up adapter lead but now I'm wondering if there's some odd stuff happening in Amazon and eBay searches where only the expensive options are shown.. I've got an adapter and polarity tester on the way now for under a tenner so all good now..

megsdad

Free Member
Aug 15, 2014
Funster No
MH
auto cruise
Exp
1 month
Bought mine lat year never neede it but if you don,t have something..........

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
My complaint was the price of the made up adapter lead but now I'm wondering if there's some odd stuff happening in Amazon and eBay searches where only the expensive options are shown.. I've got an adapter and polarity tester on the way now for under a tenner so all good now..
Something very strange on eBay now with these ridulas prices, I think it's just people putting things they havnt got on then getting them after if someone bites, I was looking for the old two pin 12 volt plug a while ago , they were up to a tenner on eBay , nothing less than a fiver, at don amotts (not known for being cheap) £2.50(n)

GWAYGWAY

Free Member
Sep 6, 2014
Dover
Funster No
MH
Hymer ML I 580
Exp
4 years
I bought a new lead from Screwfix the other day, It is thick blue arctic insulation and reasonable ends on it. It will also act as an extension for my power tools, I am not talking drills but big gear taking 32 amp startup loads.

irnbru

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 27, 2013
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Benimar 264
Exp
11 yrs
This post has just reminded me to order one of these and also the LPG fill coonector for France(y)

Feb 26, 2012
Funster No
MH
coach
Exp
Motorhome since 2006 (caravanning 38yrs)
Thanks mate thats brilliant..just ordered one(y)
Maybe you should have two.
Convert one for when you find that the supply is reversed polarity.

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
Sorry i must've missed a bit of this..when would the polarity be reversed?
It has been found on a few sites, also hookups without a functioning earth. Search on the forum for discussion about reverse polarity and whether it is a problem for you.

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
What do you use in the uk

Joe
In the UK the round three pin plug and socket is universal as far as I know. Two pin plugs are still needed in some European sites. When we toured along northern Spain last year half of the sites needed the two pin adaptor.

denisejoe

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 6, 2014
Warden isle of sheppy
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2004
In the UK the round three pin plug and socket is universal as far as I know. Two pin plugs are still needed in some European sites. When we toured along northern Spain last year half of the sites needed the two pin adaptor.

I've got the 2 pin adaptor in case we need it. Maybe this year as hoping we might actually make it to Spain as have a bit longer than usual - nearly 4 months rather than the usual 3 weeks.

Denise

John & Joan

Free Member
Mar 30, 2010
Darlington
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
10 years this time
We found the two pin + earth sockets at the Aire in Cartagena (beside the shell garage opposite EROSKI) are a bit iffy. One plug of the two in the same casing could be OK while the other was showing reverse polarity or no earth. I have tried a number so it was not just a one off. I always carry and have plugged in a polarity tester but having a double pole switch German van I have no problem with reverse polarity. The only time I can see a problem is if someone is doing more than just using an appliance as most devices are well protected. In that case taking the lead out completely saves any problems.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back