I think I have alternator trouble (1 Viewer)

M

MistyMurphy

Deleted User
I am new here bet you carnt tell, been full time 2004 till 2008

I have recently changed job and it means i have to reside in a cold old house.
we so miss the friendly faces you wake up to every morning surrounding you on fields around the country. The morning sun gushing thro, the windscreen as you open the blinds, and just the simple freshness as you open the awning and flop in that big lounger with the little pooch just 1/2 a step behind scrambling to get in the chair before you do.
The help we have had over the past few years has been tremendous since changing over to our RV the help has not been any less. we try to get away most weekends but at the moment I think I have an alternator problem, we returned from easter break in Cromer, drove about 70miles back home and turned off engine went into house came back 10mins later to take Rv to storage and the damn thing would not start. Had to jump start with my good old smart car. It did the same when i got to storage and had to jump start again.....
Has anybody got any advise.. its a ford engine 7.4 +lpg conversion I cannot get at alternator myself to remove so looks like trying to find local Ford truck place to have a go.Its a newish battery maybe 6months old thats all and it charges fully with battery charger but will not start engine.....help please if possible
Link Removed Link Removed

OP
OP
M

MistyMurphy

Deleted User
Hi Peter, yes it does, I do not have any warning lights on at all, everything is normal

thanks

Alan

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Thepips

Trade Member
Sep 26, 2007
Basingstoke
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
Its a newish battery maybe 6months old thats all and it charges fully with battery charger but will not start engine.....help please if possible
That makes me think it's the battery more than the alternator but I've been wrong before!
Have you checked the battery levels? I'm lucky on my RV as I've two chassis batteries. I had a very similar problem but disconnecting one battery and the engine started immediately.

Hope that helps

Regards
Doug

OP
OP
M

MistyMurphy

Deleted User
thanks so far i will look into those when i go down to storage later

ta, Alan:thumb:

45eEver

Free Member
Apr 15, 2009
Funster No
Murph, have I understood correctly, you can't start with your MH battery fully charged by your charger.
But you can start when your car battery is hooked up to your MH battery with jump leads.

If I've underswtood correctly, it sounds like your MH starter battery is duff.

Bigtrev8xl

Free Member
Mar 31, 2009
Ipswich
Funster No
MH
Self build
Exp
Hi.
Have you checked that the terminals on the battery are clean, it could explain why you are able to start it ok when you use jump leads, I’m assuming you connected the jump leads to the clamp and directly to the battery terminal.

Cheers Big Trev.

OP
OP
M

MistyMurphy

Deleted User
BIG BIG thanks to you all

Thanks for the last two comments, went back to it today and found a burnt out 30amp fuse that was tucked out of sight. Thanks to Peter, for suggesting about a fuse, I really had to look hard to find it took me nearly 45 mins repaired and replaced fuse holder and some connectors, It started with the jump leads again because battery was low, after about 45mins i switched off, left for about 30mins and it then did start again so hopefully a very good result, i wil see again tommorrow when i go back and start it again....BIG thanks to Peter looks like a pint I O U if we ever meet...

Alan:thumb::thumb:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back