Omnistor centre support rafter.. (1 Viewer)

Charlie

Free Member
May 16, 2015
Herefordshire / Worcestershire borders .
Funster No
MH
Auto Sleeper Kemerton.
Exp
Im a newbie
Was looking at a Fiamma centre rafter today . Seems like a good idea when leaving the Thule Omnistor wind out canopy in place for several days . The one we saw had a neat LED strip light on it that was on a lead that went through the van window to power.

The one we saw was at the show but was not for sale. I can find the rafter on EBay for 32 quid but can't find the light.

So the questions.

Is it worth adding the extra rafter support ?

And can anyone recommend a strip light on 12 volt with a nice long lead ?

It may be possible to take a feed or add a connector to the existing LED strip over the sliding side door on our Van Conversion. Not sure to be honest.

Thanks.

Glandwr

Banned
Jul 10, 2014
the Berwyn Mountains
Funster No
MH
Hymer S740
Exp
since 2009
I would have thought that it depended on the length of your awning. Ours is 4.5 mtrs and we had one supplied.

Dick

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
From your post you are looking at two different things.

The Fiamma rafter is for Fiamma awnings. It won't fit a Thule awning.

I don't know if Thule make one to fit an Omnistor awning but if they do that's what you will need.

OP
OP
Charlie

Charlie

Free Member
May 16, 2015
Funster No
MH
Auto Sleeper Kemerton.
Exp
Im a newbie
From your post you are looking at two different things.

The Fiamma rafter is for Fiamma awnings. It won't fit a Thule awning.

I don't know if Thule make one to fit an Omnistor awning but if they do that's what you will need.

Sorry not so... The Fiamma is a far far neater job than the 3 piece Thule one which to be frank is bloody awful. Fiamma supply two extra rubber ends so it then fits the Thule Omnistor..
Link
Broken Link Removed

Here is the link to the curved one
Broken Link Removed

I just want to know if they are worth having. They seem so but its worth asking .

Jun 22, 2012
Sherborne Dorset
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2012
We have a new van with a 3.7 metre thule omnistor awning. I had seen the curved and staight rafter and it wasn't clear which I needed or why. At the Malvern show I visited Rose awnings to find out which I needed and why. He said it should have come supplied with one. The people who we bought the van from were at the show and kindly let us have a pole from their demo van rather than have to post one. This is a long white pole in 3 sections about 1 cm in diameter and not very strong I wouldn't have thought. Apparently this one just gives a bit of extra support but if you perhaps want it to stay up in more severe weather if you have sides and stuff then you need the more heavy duty rafter. The curved rafter was advised by a motorhomer with the exact model as ours, apparently the rain drains better. They had bought an extra thin pole and use one at each end for wind blockers. Have to confess I am still confused as to what the straight one is for. I don't know if this helps or not.

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
Sorry not so... The Fiamma is a far far neater job than the 3 piece Thule one which to be frank is bloody awful. Fiamma supply two extra rubber ends so it then fits the Thule Omnistor..

Sorry you're wrong. Fiamma don't supply anything to make it fit anyone else's product and that isn't what the eBay advert in your link says. The eBay seller by the way isn't connected to Fiamma. It's just one of many accessory sellers.

It may well be possible to make it fit but that isn't the same thing and I would love to know both Thule's and your van manufacturer's opinion on warranty cover should any damage occur as a result of an incompatible product being bodged to fit.

Up to you of course but I think it's a terrible idea. If you really want to do it I would at the very least suggest emailing both Fiamma and Thule for their opinion.

OP
OP
Charlie

Charlie

Free Member
May 16, 2015
Funster No
MH
Auto Sleeper Kemerton.
Exp
Im a newbie
We have a new van with a 3.7 metre thule omnistor awning. I had seen the curved and staight rafter and it wasn't clear which I needed or why. At the Malvern show I visited Rose awnings to find out which I needed and why. He said it should have come supplied with one. The people who we bought the van from were at the show and kindly let us have a pole from their demo van rather than have to post one. This is a long white pole in 3 sections about 1 cm in diameter and not very strong I wouldn't have thought. Apparently this one just gives a bit of extra support but if you perhaps want it to stay up in more severe weather if you have sides and stuff then you need the more heavy duty rafter. The curved rafter was advised by a motorhomer with the exact model as ours, apparently the rain drains better. They had bought an extra thin pole and use one at each end for wind blockers. Have to confess I am still confused as to what the straight one is for. I don't know if this helps or not.

The long white Three piece one is the Thule one I mentioned above. You are right it's not very strong at all. To be honest if they gave me one for free I would thank them and give it back..

The Fiamma one is simple but strong and it's a two piece square section telescopic one.

It was on display on the Lilipad stand. But as I said above it was not for sale as it was thier own one.

It really is a case of Fiamma making a far better product .

I just want to know if it's worth having and where I can get the 12 volt strip light with a nice long lead.

Thanks

Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
we have an after market non manufacturer specific centre pole that is about as much use as a 'hand brake on a canoe' (not heard that one before tonights Dragons Den) it came with about 10 different end pieces none seem to fit, it has slipped out and scratched my MH

Not really sure why I still carry it, just use good tie downs connected into the awning bead not over the top and slope the front to help rain water run off (y)

edit - we have an Omnistor awning

Sep 10, 2012
worcester
Funster No
MH
Sunliving van
Exp
I was going to get a curved 1 but reading on here they can cause the material to stretch in hot weather.
So I managed to pick up a straight 1 from a fellow funster. Gives a bit of tension to the centre and reduces sagging but if u are leaving it out in the rain make sure 1 leg is set shorter than the other to give a slope to the front bar. I would not leave out in a wind without straps.
Hth

OP
OP
Charlie

Charlie

Free Member
May 16, 2015
Funster No
MH
Auto Sleeper Kemerton.
Exp
Im a newbie
Sorry you're wrong. Fiamma don't supply anything to make it fit anyone else's product and that isn't what the eBay advert in your link says. The eBay seller by the way isn't connected to Fiamma. It's just one of many accessory sellers.

It may well be possible to make it fit but that isn't the same thing and I would love to know both Thule's and your van manufacturer's opinion on warranty cover should any damage occur as a result of an incompatible product being bodged to fit.

Up to you of course but I think it's a terrible idea. If you really want to do it I would at the very least suggest emailing both Fiamma and Thule for their opinion.

With respect. It says clearly in the link it will fit the Thule Omnistor awning. It clearly gives the part numbers. I saw the very same product fitted to an Omnistor today..

But worry not if I buy something that doesn't fit.

Again all I want to know please is if these things are as good as they look ?

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
With respect. It says clearly in the link it will fit the Thule Omnistor awning. It clearly gives the part numbers. I saw the very same product fitted to an Omnistor today..

But worry not if I buy something that doesn't fit.

Again all I want to know please is if these things are as good as they look ?

Yes it does say that but it isn't Fiamma or Thule saying it.

If you buy it, fit it and damage occurs Thule will laugh at you whether it seems to fit correctly or not.

Mousy

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 13, 2013
Sa15 2DG
Funster No
MH
Hymer S840 Merc auto
Exp
Since 2013
Charlie, we have an ominstor awning with a fiamma rafter pole with the rubber end caps. it fits fine and stops the fabric puddling with water in the rain.
I've heard the curved rafters cause the fabric to stretch in very hot weather.

Lights can be purchased from eBay in metre strips.

OP
OP
Charlie

Charlie

Free Member
May 16, 2015
Funster No
MH
Auto Sleeper Kemerton.
Exp
Im a newbie
Yes it does say that but it isn't Fiamma or Thule saying it.

If you buy it, fit it and damage occurs Thule will laugh at you whether it seems to fit correctly or not.

Lets start again.. I actually saw a Fiamma rafter fitted to a Thule Omnistor awning. It fitted very well indeed.

It is/was not the fit I asked about it was how well these things work.

I went to the Thule stand and looked closely at the rafters they sell that are specifically for the Thule Omnistor awning. Problem is is that they frankly put are crap. 3 or 4 sections of tubular steel that must have cost absolute peanuts to make and trust me I would not have bought one for a fiver let alone 37 quid.

The Fiamma on the other hand is a well made two piece telescopic item that looks like it will do the job well and is worth the 32 quid asked.

If I asked Thule you question what would I expect them to say ? " Well Charlie yes our ones are crap but we will get the sack if we tell you that or recommend a Fiamma one cos they are far better.

Batter or scratch a Motor home with any rafter pole or whatever and no manufacturer is going to shell out for repairs. I would imagine 90% of these types of damage incidents are down to simply dropping or a slip of the hand anyway.

For your information I bodge nothing ! If an alternative item is available however and as a bonus its better made does the job better costs less and actually works then I reserve the right to as questions to those who have actually used the products and recommend them as suitable and how good or bad they are.

Thanks to those that have done just that. Answered my question with experience.

But Nicknic I do appreciate your input. Just as I do anyone who helps an inexperienced novice in any area of motor homing like me.

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
Lets start again.. I actually saw a Fiamma rafter fitted to a Thule Omnistor awning. It fitted very well indeed.

It is/was not the fit I asked about it was how well these things work.

I went to the Thule stand and looked closely at the rafters they sell that are specifically for the Thule Omnistor awning. Problem is is that they frankly put are crap. 3 or 4 sections of tubular steel that must have cost absolute peanuts to make and trust me I would not have bought one for a fiver let alone 37 quid.

The Fiamma on the other hand is a well made two piece telescopic item that looks like it will do the job well and is worth the 32 quid asked.

If I asked Thule you question what would I expect them to say ? " Well Charlie yes our ones are crap but we will get the sack if we tell you that or recommend a Fiamma one cos they are far better.

Batter or scratch a Motor home with any rafter pole or whatever and no manufacturer is going to shell out for repairs. I would imagine 90% of these types of damage incidents are down to simply dropping or a slip of the hand anyway.

For your information I bodge nothing ! If an alternative item is available however and as a bonus its better made does the job better costs less and actually works then I reserve the right to as questions to those who have actually used the products and recommend them as suitable and how good or bad they are.

Thanks to those that have done just that. Answered my question with experience.

But Nicknic I do appreciate your input. Just as I do anyone who helps an inexperienced novice in any area of motor homing like me.

I understand what you are saying.

My point is only that if you fit a relatively inexpensive Fiamma rafter to your expensive Thule awning, attached to your even more expensive motorhome, something goes wrong and some damage occurs you can forget about any warranty claim either from Thule or whoever made your motorhome because you have used an incompatible accessory. How well it fits is absolutely irrelevant.

We have a Fiamma awning so the Fiamma rafter works a treat on that (y)

OP
OP
Charlie

Charlie

Free Member
May 16, 2015
Funster No
MH
Auto Sleeper Kemerton.
Exp
Im a newbie
I understand what you are saying.

My point is only that if you fit a relatively inexpensive Fiamma rafter to your expensive Thule awning, attached to your even more expensive motorhome, something goes wrong and some damage occurs you can forget about any warranty claim either from Thule or whoever made your motorhome because you have used an incompatible accessory. How well it fits is absolutely irrelevant.

We have a Fiamma awning so the Fiamma rafter works a treat on that (y)

We have two spurious poles that hold the new Lilipad wind blockers.. So the risk increases..
The poles that came with the Lilipad wind lockers were again really crap ! But those already reside in the skip and have been replaced with some more substantial ones..
I take extreme care over my kit and can only hope the unthinkable doesn't happen.
The Fiamma rafter has far far less potential to do damage than the junk Thule supply honest it does.

Anyway it's ordered now so at least I can best myself round the head with it if nothing else eh ??

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
to answer the questions
yes they are worthwhile
there is a model with lights prefitted....comes with a lead or on the electric fiamma just plugs in inside the box. the same can be done with self adhesive waterproof LED strips or a clip on LED light
Best place to buy anything Fiamma is at @Johns_Cross_Motorhomes who also give a discount to members. They are the main uk stockist and what they dont know about the kit is not worth knowing. plus a bonus they will ship to campsites here or abroad if you need a part urgently

as has been mentioned before..never rely on the rafter and legs alone to keep the awning safe and more rigid, ALWAYS fit tie down straps
oh and the curved rafters are great till they get hot and distort the fabric

OP
OP
Charlie

Charlie

Free Member
May 16, 2015
Funster No
MH
Auto Sleeper Kemerton.
Exp
Im a newbie
to answer the questions
yes they are worthwhile
there is a model with lights prefitted....comes with a lead or on the electric fiamma just plugs in inside the box. the same can be done with self adhesive waterproof LED strips or a clip on LED light
Best place to buy anything Fiamma is at @Johns_Cross_Motorhomes who also give a discount to members. They are the main uk stockist and what they dont know about the kit is not worth knowing. plus a bonus they will ship to campsites here or abroad if you need a part urgently

as has been mentioned before..never rely on the rafter and legs alone to keep the awning safe and more rigid, ALWAYS fit tie down straps
oh and the curved rafters are great till they get hot and distort the fabric

Thanks.

I have just ordered the ordinary Fiamma Rafter to which I'm going to add 59cm LED 12 V strip light.

I always secure the awning down even if there is no wind around or forecasted.

I will bear John Cross in mind next time I need kit.

Mousy

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 13, 2013
Sa15 2DG
Funster No
MH
Hymer S840 Merc auto
Exp
Since 2013
I'd be interested in the lights you get.

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
Broken Link Removed

or just the light

Broken Link Removed

OP
OP
Charlie

Charlie

Free Member
May 16, 2015
Funster No
MH
Auto Sleeper Kemerton.
Exp
Im a newbie
I'd be interested in the lights you get.

Possibly these
Broken Link Removed

Have to buy a pair as cant buy just the one.

But am waiting till the rafter arrives so I can weigh up how I will fix them. Would rather not drill !

Really want something as slim as possible that gives good light.

maz

Jan 26, 2011
Bizeljsko, Slovenia
Funster No
MH
N+B Arto
Exp
Since March 2011

Interested in this thread as we have started looking for a tension rafter for our Omnistor awning. Up to now we'd only been looking for the Omnistor version but agree that the Fiamma version looks preferable. According to Fiamma's own website it comes 'Complete with rubber ends so as to be installed on other awning brands'.

http://www.fiamma.com/EN/products/fiammastore/accessories/rafter/

Look forward to reading Charlie's update in due course.

OP
OP
Charlie

Charlie

Free Member
May 16, 2015
Funster No
MH
Auto Sleeper Kemerton.
Exp
Im a newbie
A wee update.

Thnd e Fiamma rafter arrived today so I had a go at putting it in place.. It fits perfectly !

When used with a Fiamma awning it relies on two hard plastic clips one on each end . When using with a Thule Awning two rubber feet / ends are put over the plastic clips and they fit snugly into the rails on the awning.

So effectively this rafter is safer to use with a Thule Awning than it is with a Fiamma one.

As mentioned above the likelihood of damage would only arise from a slip or dropping the rafter when installing or taking it down. So these rubber feet give added protection. If the hard plastic clips used in conjunction with the Fiamma awning came into contact with the vehicle which in our case is an Auto a Sleeper Kemerton it's likely damage would occur. With the rubber feet the likelihood of damage is hugely reduced.

Anyway it fits well, stiffens the frame. Lifts the cover , And should help reduce pooling of rain water..

Allanm

Free Member
Jun 30, 2013
Cotes d'armor, France
Funster No
MH
Burstner Harmony TI 736 G
Exp
Since 1987
We have the standard 3 piece pole that came with our 4 metre Omnistor. It works perfectly well at stopping water pooling in the centre, bearing in mind we lower one leg a tad when it rains. I don't really see the point of the curved rafter, i cant see that it stops water pooling any better than the straight one.
And they are quite strong, our original awning took off and flipped over the van, ruining it. The only bit that survived unscathed was the rafter. So I now have 2!

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
Worth remembering even with tie downs these awnings are hardly storm proof. On our Fiamma awning the bits at the end are plastic and this is where the legs are attached. The whole plastic bit, which is secured by a single bolt working on friction, can come lose, which is what happened on ours. The awning legs can also collapse if the screw which locks them works lose, then the tie down will be slack and the awning will start bouncing up and down.

If you want a proper storm porch you need to look at standalone awnings.

R

Robert Clark

Deleted User
I've just ordered a rafter from EBay too having been totally disappointed with the racer supplied with the Omnistor awning.
Would never have considered doing this without having read this post
Another little problem solved
Thanks @Charlie

OP
OP
Charlie

Charlie

Free Member
May 16, 2015
Funster No
MH
Auto Sleeper Kemerton.
Exp
Im a newbie
Because the rafter took a while to arrive it hasn't left me time to sort out an LED strip light for it. I like the idea of having a light central in the awning as well as the LED light over the sliding door on our Panel van conversion.
We are away late next week so for now I will use a 12 volt battery LED inspection lamp which I will hold in place with a couple of rubber bands. I have packed some spare batteries as well. Not ideal but time is running out and I want to sort something proper not a cheap jack bodge job..

I must admit to being a bit reluctant to paying 60 quid for the Fiamma LED strip light ! It must have cost them all of five quid to make.

I do realise the limitations of these awnings and have really good fixtures to make them as stable and secure as possible. I don't want a stand alone awning. For now we have the awning with the rafter and a brand new set of Lillypad windblockers with the roll down insides. Also invested in the webbing straps that feed into the channel as they give IMO the best firm hold if things get windy or stormy.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back