cab battery charging but not leisure (1 Viewer)

themountaintiger

Free Member
Sep 27, 2009
Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Swift Kon-Tiki 649C Class
Exp
Since 24th March 2010
I'm on Sargent Ec450 unit, the solar panel box is showing one full green light and another green one blinking. On control panel cab battery is blinking from 13 to 13.5, whilst my leisures have drained from 13 to 12.3 and do not appear to have charged at all. I've not used anything to heavily deplete batteries. Is this a setting I've upset on Sargent unit?

Another bit to add to mix, I've just had inverter, new alarm, tracker fitted by accredited person. Not sure if they have changed a setting.

T

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
Make sure inverter is off when not in use, some, if not all take too much current on standby.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
themountaintiger

themountaintiger

Free Member
Sep 27, 2009
Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Exp
Since 24th March 2010
The drain off solars has been approx 1.2 amps over weekend, I.e. Charging a kindle except 2 tellys taking 5 amps for 3 hrs.. However that was last night, sun is cracking flags here which is, has increased cab batt, but leisure batteries at 12.1

Derbyshire wanderer

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 30, 2014
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
15 years
The ec450 can be set for
Solar smart
Solar vehicle
Solar habitation
Even on smart, it will not change from vehicle to hab until the threshold is reached.
Change it to hab only to get some charge into the hab batteries.

OP
OP
themountaintiger

themountaintiger

Free Member
Sep 27, 2009
Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Exp
Since 24th March 2010
Read through instructions. It does say ......If the shutdown button is turned off then the solar panel will charge the vehicle battery only. i think this is what has happened with my installation guy perhaps using that button. I will try that and report back just in case any future funsters have same issue.

Don Quixote

Free Member
Jul 29, 2012
Lost in La Mancha, Spain
Funster No
MH
VW T6 Campervan
Exp
Not long enough, but a little common sense helps..........
The drain off solars has been approx 1.2 amps over weekend, I.e. Charging a kindle except 2 tellys taking 5 amps for 3 hrs.. However that was last night, sun is cracking flags here which is, has increased cab batt, but leisure batteries at 12.1
The problem is you have taken the batteries down to 12.2 or lower and UK sun will not right now charge them back up - the solar panel will top them up a little, but you need to go onto EHU or drive to get them charged back up where they will again be "topped up" by the solar.

Sep 27, 2007
Shropshire based
Funster No
MH
Globecar
Exp
started in 2001
Inverter not on. Not used it over weekend..

Some inverters will still drain a little, when switched off, if hard wired to L/B's. Do you have an isolator between the L/B's and the inverter.

My manual recommends an isolator switch, which I have, as they say "every little helps"

Derbyshire wanderer

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 30, 2014
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
15 years
Read through instructions. It does say ......If the shutdown button is turned off then the solar panel will charge the vehicle battery only. i think this is what has happened with my installation guy perhaps using that button. I will try that and report back just in case any future funsters have same issue.
If the shutdown button is off, no power is available to any habitation lights or 12v outlets.
Read how to set the advanced settings by holding the push switch down for a couple of seconds to change menus, then scroll to smart charging settings and set to habitation only.

OP
OP
themountaintiger

themountaintiger

Free Member
Sep 27, 2009
Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Exp
Since 24th March 2010
If the shutdown button is off, no power is available to any habitation lights or 12v outlets.
Read how to set the advanced settings by holding the push switch down for a couple of seconds to change menus, then scroll to smart charging settings and set to habitation only.

Thanks.. I'm just a bit perplexed as I had no issue prior to having extras added, I've not changed anything on EC450 either.. Will try the push switches..

and yes, I have had hab lights on etc,

Last edited:
OP
OP
themountaintiger

themountaintiger

Free Member
Sep 27, 2009
Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Exp
Since 24th March 2010
Some inverters will still drain a little, when switched off, if hard wired to L/B's. Do you have an isolator between the L/B's and the inverter.

My manual recommends an isolator switch, which I have, as they say "every little helps"

Dont know about the isolator and I was made aware of the drain.. but this is a situation of solar panels charging cab battery, but not leisure. There is only a minimal usage of leisure batteries and nothing is being fed back in.

Don Quixote

Free Member
Jul 29, 2012
Lost in La Mancha, Spain
Funster No
MH
VW T6 Campervan
Exp
Dont know about the isolator and I was made aware of the drain.. but this is a situation of solar panels charging cab battery, but not leisure. There is only a minimal usage of leisure batteries and nothing is being fed back in.
But you said "Charging a kindle except 2 tellys taking 5 amps for 3 hrs" - this is not including fridge, water pump, lights, control panel etc etc.
Be aware the average MH draws around 5/7 amps per hour and in you case that = round figure of 21amps each night.
Now in UK on a good day you might get 2 amps per hour or 4/5 of NO clouds as the solar panel WILL NOT supply constant amps for longer than a few minutes........ at a time, so 2 amps minimum per hour for 8 hours = 16 amps back, BUT you took out 21 amps the night before and then you try and draw another 21 amps that night and the next day there is no sun.............. get the idea.
You cannot get out of the battery WHAT'S not there.

Charge the batteries, not top them up................

Last edited:
OP
OP
themountaintiger

themountaintiger

Free Member
Sep 27, 2009
Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Exp
Since 24th March 2010
But you said "Charging a kindle except 2 tellys taking 5 amps for 3 hrs" - this is not including fridge, water pump, lights, control panel etc etc.
Be aware the average MH draws around 5/7 amps per hour and in you case that = round figure of 21amps each night.
Now in UK on a good day you might get 2 amps per hour or 4/5 of NO clouds as the solar panel WILL NOT supply constant amps for longer than a few minutes........ at a time, so 2 amps minimum per hour for 8 hours = 16 amps back, BUT you took out 21 amps the night before and then you try and draw another 21 amps that night and the next day there is no sun.............. get the idea.
You cannot get out of the battery WHAT'S not there.

Charge the batteries, not top them up................

Thanks John

Think I was trying to explain it in a quick way. Woke up Saturday morning, Leisure batteries at 12.5. Went out at 10:30am, nothing plugged in except kindle drawing about 1amp. No fridge (its on gas). Come back at 8pm after half of which was sunny, Leisure batteries at 12.3. Then had 2 tvs on for 3 hrs.

Wake up Sunday morning LB's at 12.1/2 (expected) but very sunny morning. No TV or anything else plugged in (except charging pone) leisure batteries at 2pm still 12.1/2. Meanwhile van battery according to control panel is flashing that the van battery is being charged from 13 to 13.5

I would have expected the leisure battery section on the control panel to be flashing even if it was telling me its was going from 12v towards 12.5. It should be heading in a positive direction rather than decreasing.

From prior use I would have expected the leisure batteries to be adding 3-4 amps back each day based on weather conditions.

Think I need to check EC450 unit for settings as mentioned by Derbyshire.

Don Quixote

Free Member
Jul 29, 2012
Lost in La Mancha, Spain
Funster No
MH
VW T6 Campervan
Exp
Thanks John

Think I was trying to explain it in a quick way. Woke up Saturday morning, Leisure batteries at 12.5. Went out at 10:30am, nothing plugged in except kindle drawing about 1amp. No fridge (its on gas). Come back at 8pm after half of which was sunny, Leisure batteries at 12.3. Then had 2 tvs on for 3 hrs.

Wake up Sunday morning LB's at 12.1/2 (expected) but very sunny morning. No TV or anything else plugged in (except charging pone) leisure batteries at 2pm still 12.1/2. Meanwhile van battery according to control panel is flashing that the van battery is being charged from 13 to 13.5

I would have expected the leisure battery section on the control panel to be flashing even if it was telling me its was going from 12v towards 12.5. It should be heading in a positive direction rather than decreasing.

From prior use I would have expected the leisure batteries to be adding 3-4 amps back each day based on weather conditions.

Think I need to check EC450 unit for settings as mentioned by Derbyshire.

Firstly, your fridge even on gas draws power all be it 0.080 amps ish, but that can be 50/100 tims a day. Then there is your batteries if they are 12.5 in the morning and then 12.3 at night I suspect you will be looking at replacing them very very soon...... sorry to say.

OP
OP
themountaintiger

themountaintiger

Free Member
Sep 27, 2009
Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Exp
Since 24th March 2010
Hi John.. I suspect its not what your thinking. The motorhome is 2 weeks old to me, but I appreciate perhaps 6 months oldish. Also they were working perfectly and solar panels the weekend prior to having tracker, alarm, inverter installed which occurred Friday. I will speak to installer or Sargent. Appreciate your comments though.. not had solars before so learning..

Apr 11, 2015
hull
Funster No
MH
Laika Ecovip 300
Exp
since 1988 with breaks until 2009
hope tracker and alarm are wired to vehicle battery, they are a big drain on the system. do you have an independent regulator for the solar? We had a problem with our batteries not charging due to a faulty regulator, could be wired, now, only to charge the vehicle battery.

Scout

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 4, 2009
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
chic c line
Exp
12 years motorhoming, a lifetime of living
just a thought, do you have fuses just after the battery conectors, if so and one has blow, it can cause all sorts of funny problems,

Jul 5, 2013
Tunbridge Wells, Tunbridge Wells, UK
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
Not sure where you get those figures from. 5 to 7 amps equates to 60 - 85 watts of energy. Mine does not draw anything like that on average, and certainly not at night. Even the Truma heating (which is probably the biggest single draw at night) only averages about 1.5A at most, and then only if it is cold enough to even come on.
Firstly, your fridge even on gas draws power all be it 0.080 amps ish, but that can be 50/100 tims a day.
0.08 amps still works out at 0.08A per hour even if it is running continuously (which it will be). That means less than 1Ahr per night, which should be easily replaced by a reasonable sized solar panel.

I suspect that there is something wrong with Sergeant unit or wiring. Most likely cause is the new work carried out recently to the system.

Don Quixote

Free Member
Jul 29, 2012
Lost in La Mancha, Spain
Funster No
MH
VW T6 Campervan
Exp
Not sure where you get those figures from. 5 to 7 amps equates to 60 - 85 watts of energy. Mine does not draw anything like that on average, and certainly not at night. Even the Truma heating (which is probably the biggest single draw at night) only averages about 1.5A at most, and then only if it is cold enough to even come on.

0.08 amps still works out at 0.08A per hour even if it is running continuously (which it will be). That means less than 1Ahr per night, which should be easily replaced by a reasonable sized solar panel.

I suspect that there is something wrong with Sergeant unit or wiring. Most likely cause is the new work carried out recently to the system.
Those figures are from equipment used: TV=2/3amps per hour, Sat box=1/3amps per hour, Hard drive full of movies= 2/3 amps per hour, Charging laptop/running laptop= 2/3amps per hour, Charging phone/phones 2/3 amps per hour, water pump=3amps per hour, iBoost system= 1amps per hour................... do you want me to carry on. I have stated before and will state again EACH MH owner is different and I know many do not draw this much, but the younger age group what all the "mod cons" and THAT costs amps. So.......... that were I get my figures from.....

At the end of the day as I have said on another post topic, I can only tell you what I know, but I'm tired of being told "but I don't do that or I never have a problem and it goes on and on" so this is the last bit of advice I'm giving on the forum. I have helped many members at rallies sort their battery problems / satellite problems / charging problems ( as I'm sure many will confirm ) and will continue to do that, but not on the forum any more as I'd tired of being shot down.

Jul 5, 2013
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
Those figures are from equipment used: TV=2/3amps per hour, Sat box=1/3amps per hour, Hard drive full of movies= 2/3 amps per hour, Charging laptop/running laptop= 2/3amps per hour, Charging phone/phones 2/3 amps per hour, water pump=3amps per hour, iBoost system= 1amps per hour................... do you want me to carry on. I have stated before and will state again EACH MH owner is different and I know many do not draw this much, but the younger age group what all the "mod cons" and THAT costs amps. So.......... that were I get my figures from.....

At the end of the day as I have said on another post topic, I can only tell you what I know, but I'm tired of being told "but I don't do that or I never have a problem and it goes on and on" so this is the last bit of advice I'm giving on the forum. I have helped many members at rallies sort their battery problems / satellite problems / charging problems ( as I'm sure many will confirm ) and will continue to do that, but not on the forum any more as I'd tired of being shot down.
I am genuinely sorry if you have taken offence, because none was intended. But I am entitled to have a view and air it as much as you or anybody else is. And if people don't agree with me it does not worry me in the slightest.

I entirely agree with you that each motorhomer is different in their use of electricity. But it is important to understand that all of the items you list are rarely used together or, in the case of things like water pumps, phone chargers, hard disc drives (which now use very little power) and iboost for long periods.

We have a TV and powered aerial and any films we want can easily be put on a large capacity USB pen drive. We use those for 3 or 4 hours each day. We each have a phone and tablet (laptops rarely used nowadays) as well as a mifi unit which we charge using 12V adaptors. We have replaced all our lights with LEDs, as have many others on here. We use gas for heating, cooking and running the fridge. We have a large inverter for my wife's hairdryer which she uses for 10 - 15 minutes every 3 days or so. We also have 2 x100W solar panels and 2x110Ah leisure batteries. With all this we find that we can be easily be independent and off the grid all summer in the UK, and all year in warmer and sunnier climates.

I do not know if we are an "average" motorhomer or not, or even if such an animal exists (I doubt it). I also do not know how much power the OP actually uses. But it seems to me to be more likely that the root of his problem lies in the work he had done to his motorhome, given that he suggests that the problem only surfaced after that work was carried out.

Don Quixote

Free Member
Jul 29, 2012
Lost in La Mancha, Spain
Funster No
MH
VW T6 Campervan
Exp
Without going into details: firstly your original post did not say YOU had 2 x 100 amp batteries being feed with 2 x 100watt solar. In your case you should never run out of power, but NOT every one has or understands solar power or understands HOW their 12volt system runs ( or does not run!) and how it works.
I agree that not all items listed are on all the time, but I do have a system that tells me what each item is drawing and at the end of each day exactly what amps I have taken from the batteries ( hence I can quote what is drawn! ) and I can see exactly what my solar is putting back in.............
I know others do not have this in their MH or need it.............. After serving in the military for 27 years in the signals, where working with batteries is an everyday thing...... I feel / felt qualified enough to quote............ on the subject. I'm sure there are others on here who will help.
If any member comes up to me at any of the rallies with a problem ( as I have done this weekend ) I will be more than helpful and happy to give up my leisure time to sort / explain a problem, but not any longer on the forum. Everyone is entitled as you say to state their opinion, but without full details it's is just that.

Jul 5, 2013
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
I do keep my eye on my usage too, and on our last long trip in March/April to France/Spain/Portugal the battery level never went below 85%, and then only after the hair drying.

I still think you are wrong not to continue posting though just because people do not necessarily agree with you. Sometimes when somebody posts something that disagrees with what I have said I realise they are right and I was wrong. But the advantage of that is that I have then learnt something new.

OP
OP
themountaintiger

themountaintiger

Free Member
Sep 27, 2009
Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Exp
Since 24th March 2010
Thanks for responses. Its seems the ECU decides to give cab battery 4 hrs of solar and then leisure batteries 4 hrs of solar IF they are 12.4v or below. Id found this info on swift talk web site from sargent. Others have commented that its daft to give cab battery such priority especially when leisure batteries are down. Sargent responded by saying even if batteries are 12.4v then there would be 50% of battery left. I think they have missed the point (unless its just me) that in evening time its the most drain.. well for me anyway for the telly(s). They did say that you could change priority on the EC450 from smart charging to just leisure batteries. This seems the most sensible thing to do for me as I cant see the cab battery depleting that much over 2-3 day weekend jaunts. Might be different in winter. The information I pieced together from the comments by Sargent, but I'm yet to go to motorhome to try out. Will update when I try changing EC450 settings

Don Quixote

Free Member
Jul 29, 2012
Lost in La Mancha, Spain
Funster No
MH
VW T6 Campervan
Exp
Personally I would change the settings to 100% leisure batteries and buy a battery master from Jim's shop and fit that as it's simple to fit from leisure to veh battery. That way you will get all the solar across to leisure and the veh gets "topped up". That is how I have mine and works great.
Sitting here now 7 miles from bring and buy meet and already leisure batteries topped up from last night were I took 10amps out via solar panels and Veh battery reading 12.9 Simples..............

OP
OP
themountaintiger

themountaintiger

Free Member
Sep 27, 2009
Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Exp
Since 24th March 2010
Thanks John.. I agree with you re 100% leisure batteries. I have commissioned the guy who did my other work to add another Solar Panel, which will add 150w (currently have 2 x 60w). He will need to put them via a different "system".

Don Quixote

Free Member
Jul 29, 2012
Lost in La Mancha, Spain
Funster No
MH
VW T6 Campervan
Exp
If you do not want to go down the road of battery master get the chap to wire your system like is : 60watt and 150watt together feeding your leisure battery and 1 x 60watt feeding your vehicle battery. The best way however would be ALL panels through a MPPT regulator so your would have total 270watts into leisure battery ( you should never run out of power then ) and fit the battery master to vehicle battery from leisure as it a fit and forget bit of kit and then you will never have a flat vehicle battery ever..................

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back