Buying Kindle Voyage from USA ? (1 Viewer)

Eeyore

Free Member
Oct 28, 2010
Funster No
I' ve just returned a faulty Kindle Voyage for a full refund from Currys. The new Kindle Voyage 2 is due out, in America, in October but Amazon will not say when it will be available in UK.

Can anyone think of any good reasons why I should not be able to order a Voyage 2 from the Amazon American website as soon as they are released there ? I assume that any faults, if they happen, will be sorted by Amazon.

I want one before we go away for the winter so don' t want to wait for the UK release.

OP
OP
Eeyore

Eeyore

Free Member
Oct 28, 2010
Funster No
In the event of a fault what do you expect Amazon UK to do if the item hasn't been released in the uk yet.

I understand that Amazon USA will pay shipping back to the USA and cost of return of a replacement. From the example I saw ( a keyboard Kindle bought in America ) this was all done within 48 hours.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Took amazon UK longer than that to replace my first kindle fire, and even longer to replace that when the same fault accured a month later.
Both faults.....not charging.

OP
OP
Eeyore

Eeyore

Free Member
Oct 28, 2010
Funster No
Took amazon UK longer than that to replace my first kindle fire, and even longer to replace that when the same fault accured a month later.
Both faults.....not charging.

I think you must have been unlucky. I bought one of the first keyboard Kindle and returned it to Amazon UK with a 3G related fault. The new one came very fast, before I returned the old one.

I' M hoping that, if there is a fault in this one then it will happen after the Voyage 2 has been released in UK so I can deal with Amazon UK. My late lamented one was 8 months old when it developed a clear line across the centre of the screen.

jumar

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 6, 2012
Spain
Funster No
MH
Hymer Tramp
Exp
Since 1994
Import duty to pay?

OP
OP
Eeyore

Eeyore

Free Member
Oct 28, 2010
Funster No
Import duty to pay?

Good point. I don' t know. We bought an Endless Breeze fan direct from the manufacturers in America and paid nothing on that but I got the impression then that it was more or less at the discretion of UK customs.

I don' t mind the duty - and suspect it would still be cheaper anyway than UK prices. I understand from the reviews that the Voyage 2 will have several good features that the Voyage 1 doesn't have, want to replace mine before we go away and it seems daft to replace it with the older model, good though it is.

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
I bought the early paper white in the states when it came ut. Ended up sending it back,so many faults. Just bought latest paper white here it has same screen as Voyager. Personally would not bother buying from states again to much hassle when things go wrong...

OP
OP
Eeyore

Eeyore

Free Member
Oct 28, 2010
Funster No
I have arthritis in both thumbs and found using the keyboard Kindle buttons and those of the smaller replacement was increasingly painful when turning pages. The Voyage has bars down each side of the screen at exactly the right position for me, both sides turn the page and neither require much pressure or cause me any pain when I do it. It's very light too and easy to hold.

If I knew that the new one was coming out shortly after the US release I would wait and go for a John Lewis buy with 3 year warranty, but Amazon will not tell me when they will release it here.

BwB

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 3, 2011
Suffolk UK
Funster No
MH
Resting b'twix vans
Exp
Since 1990
Would it need an Amazon.com account (instead of Co.uk)? I was looking at their Echo which isn't being released in the UK but it wasn't clear if it would work with a UK account. I don't think it's a big deal to change, just thinking out loud :)

Reactions: DBK
OP
OP
Eeyore

Eeyore

Free Member
Oct 28, 2010
Funster No
Would it need an Amazon.com account (instead of Co.uk)? I was looking at their Echo which isn't being released in the UK but it wasn't clear if it would work with a UK account. I don't think it's a big deal to change, just thinking out loud :)

Not sure about this. That would be a definate no to buying if it did. I don't know if I'd get a UK dictionary on it either.

Amazon are very fast to reply to online questions but I get the impression, despite the fact that they always come from named people, that they have a set of " formula" replies that never quite answer your question.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Import duty and vat is payable on imports over £15 so it could add 30% to the price and if it comes via shipping company like DHL they add a customs agents fee of at least £25.

If it is sent by post it's pot luck if customs pick up on it, with DHL they declare everything. Unless it is signifently cheaper (half price) or you are feeling lucky I wouldn't bother.

I've been caught a couple of times, electronic equipment from Hong Kong, cost me the same as in the UK would have been dearer, but for the supplier putting a $ sign instead of a £ sign on the invoice, and a couple of years ago had a rug shipped home from India cost £70 in duty & charges

Last edited:

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
You will have to register your Amazon account on it and at that point "they" will know where you live. At which point it will either work or it won't and without a definite answer from Amazon it would be a gamble. In the UK you can return goods bought online for a refund and if you could do the same for something purchased from the US then it would be worth the risk, but you would need to check before purchasing if they would take it back even if there was no fault with it. You would have to pay the postage of course.

OP
OP
Eeyore

Eeyore

Free Member
Oct 28, 2010
Funster No
Import duty and vat is payable on imports over £15 so it could add 30% to the price and if it comes via shipping company like DHL they add a customs agents fee of at least £25.
s

Hmm...point taken. The alternative though would be to buy a current Voyage now and miss out on the improvements that the new one is said to have, to do without any reading while we are away until we return in March - unthinkable- or to risk having to pay the extra taxes to get one from the US. I'm concerned that if I do buy an American one I might have problems with Whispersync and downloading my several thousand books that are in the amazon Cloud.

Has anyone bought a US model and used it on a UK account ?

OP
OP
Eeyore

Eeyore

Free Member
Oct 28, 2010
Funster No
You will have to register your Amazon account on it and at that point "they" will know where you live. At which point it will either work or it won't and without a definite answer from Amazon it would be a gamble. In the UK you can return goods bought online for a refund and if you could do the same for something purchased from the US then it would be worth the risk, but you would need to check before purchasing if they would take it back even if there was no fault with it. You would have to pay the postage of course.

Sorry- posts crossed...
This is what concerns me. I have bought books- paper type- from Amazon France with no problems but virtual books- ? I'll have another go at contacting Amazon. Daft isn't it ? We live in a global world; I'm not trying to do anything illegal but feel as if I am !

Jul 5, 2013
Tunbridge Wells, Tunbridge Wells, UK
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
You can use your .co.uk account on the .com site in the States and get stuff shipped to the UK or an address in the USA. But is does depend upon the seller - many won't ship outside of the USA. But that will be clear when you start the checking out process

Our daughter lives in the USA and we visit each year. We occasionally have stuff shipped to her address using our account. They now have that address linked with my account as well as our UK address and whenever I shop at Amazon (UK or USA) I get the option to choose which of the addresses to ship to.

For higher value items you will usually get asked to pay import duty and VAT by the courier (who is responsible for paying it) and plus a fee from the courier for collecting it. We are lucky - we just buy it in the USA when we are over there and bring it back with us. As long as you have the space in your luggage allowance that is!

Reactions: BwB
OP
OP
Eeyore

Eeyore

Free Member
Oct 28, 2010
Funster No
Thanks Peter: I've just checked the shipping costs via Amazon.com and it would be $1.99 to ship the Voyage from the USA.

I will make a final decision in October when it is released in America. Who knows ? they might have decided they will also sell in UK in time for the Christmas market and I can get one from John Lewis.

Thank you everyone.

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...

Mine worked fine in the UK no problem at all registering except when it went bonkers:(

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back