Eggs (1 Viewer)

Sep 4, 2011
Funster No
MH
No more
White Eggs – All chicken eggs start out with white shells made primarily of calcium carbonate. No matter what breed the chicken or what color an egg ultimately ends up being, all eggshells begin as white. The white egg-laying breeds, including Leghorns, Andalusians, Catalanas, Lakenvelders among others, don’t possess any pigment genes, so they lay white eggs. Because Leghorns were specifically bred to eat little and lay a lot, they were the darling of the commercial egg industry and thus the reason why most store bought eggs were primarily white … until recently. The perception that brown eggs are fresher and more nutritious (neither true, by the way!) has led to the introduction of brown eggs to grocery store chains in recent years.

Brown Eggs
– The brown egg layers such as Rhode Island and New Hampshire Reds, Australorps, Buff Orpingtons, Delawares, Brahmas and Plymouth Rocks, possess brown pigment genes and a brown ‘dye’ is applied (by the hen of course!) to the eggshell fairly late in the laying process; around the last 4-6 hours of the total 26 hours it takes to form the egg. This results in a brown-shelled egg. Interestingly, the inside of a brown egg is always white – the brown dye doesn’t penetrate the shell, leaving the inside the original color.

Blue Eggs – There are three breeds that lay blue eggs: Ameraucanas, Araucanas and Cream Legbars. The blue color is created by oocyanin, which is applied early in the laying process. The blue pigment goes right through the shell, unlike the brown pigment. So blue eggs are blue inside and out.

Green Eggs – Green egg-layers, such as Easter Eggers and Olive Eggers, are created by cross breeding a blue-egg-laying breed and a brown-egg-laying breed and those hens possess both blue and brown genes. Therefore the eggshells are green on the outside (created by mixing blue and brown) and blue on the inside, having been ‘painted’ with both blue and brown dye.

(y) Rob

Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
IMG_0894.JPG

double yolkers courtesy of @Terry, only ever had them once before, that was just luck in a pack from a shop, Terry arrived at Falkirk saying he had some, I didn't believe he could tell from the outside, still not sure how he did. They were big though, but not as yellow as our local free range :)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Worked in a private house last week and they had 3 hens....just common red/brown variety.

They had free run of the garden AND HOUSE.
Got fed up avoiding hen shit in the house and eventually ignored it and just walked through.
At best they would get 3 eggs a day but when they asked if i would like a couple of dozen eggs i suddenly remembered i have an egg allergy.
Almost got caught out on the last day, i was asked if i would like an omelette....
The answer would have been yes, but no telling how old they could be. :eek:

OP
OP
ROB1CHELSEA1
Sep 4, 2011
Funster No
MH
No more
Not a clue pappajohn :rolleyes: but today i bought blue eggs and will wait till the morning to taste them. I was once given some some rather large eggs from a bloke in Devon and all were double yolks and delishous(y)

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
I don't eat eggs except scrambled and omelettes.

Boiled, fried and poached make me feel sick for some reason.

Feb 22, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Nearly Tugging
Exp
Since 2004
I love em, tasty however cooked . They do need grit in their diet for shells to form.

OP
OP
ROB1CHELSEA1
Sep 4, 2011
Funster No
MH
No more
Never had a soft egg. Just read it's a Hybrid. Hybrids do not breed true so when you need more of them, you have to go back to crossing the original stock again.

Jun 30, 2010
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
1992 VW Auto sleeper Mono
Exp
Since 2005 this time
The EGGS we get are from LidL chooks, don't know where they keep them but they lay heaps!. the only chooks we've seen there have been these featherless variety, think they must be from up north 'cause they roost in the freezers (y)

R

Robert Clark

Deleted User
image.jpg

We hatched these chicks to replace 4 hens who have stopped laying
image.jpg

And the next batch are due to hatch on Monday
La Bresse Gauloise - apparently the French consider them the best tasting chicken
Christmas dinner !

Nov 6, 2013
East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B574DL
Exp
Since 2011 (tugger for 20 before that)
View attachment 72441

double yolkers courtesy of @Terry, only ever had them once before, that was just luck in a pack from a shop, Terry arrived at Falkirk saying he had some, I didn't believe he could tell from the outside, still not sure how he did. They were big though, but not as yellow as our local free range :)
When we had our shop, the lady that owned the boutique next door also had a chicken farm. She was forever bringing us eggs and always the double yolkers (y)
Anyone had a SOFT egg.
No shell at all, only the soft membrane.
As Larry said, lack of grit i believe
When I was a lad my friends family had a farm and he and I would often collect the eggs in the morning. That was the one and only time I have ever seen a soft shell.

Glandwr

Banned
Jul 10, 2014
the Berwyn Mountains
Funster No
MH
Hymer S740
Exp
since 2009
Worked in a private house last week and they had 3 hens....just common red/brown variety.

Got fed up avoiding hen shit in the house and eventually ignored it and just walked through.
At best they would get 3 eggs a day but when they asked if i would like a couple of dozen eggs i suddenly remembered i have an egg allergy.
Almost got caught out on the last day, i was asked if i would like an omelette....
Just be thankful that they didn't have a gaggle of geese keeping down the grass! :LOL:

Dick

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp

You should have taken the eggs, they would have been a cut above typical so-called free range eggs from a supermarket. You would have known if any was too old - they would stink!

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Not sure if that's correct really, the grit is to act as teeth as they don't have any so helps in the digestive process. However I stand to be corrected as always...
Eggshell formation requires gram amounts of calcium being deposited within hours, which must be supplied via the hen’s diet.

Chicken feed grit provides the calcium for the shell, of which 95% is from crushed sea shells

Feb 22, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Nearly Tugging
Exp
Since 2004
Grit
There are two types of poultry grit available. Flint grit or insoluble grit which is used for grinding down food and Oystershell grit, a source of calcium to help form strong egg shells.

Flint or insoluble grit
Chickens don’t have teeth, apparently, they are very rare, so to grind down their food, they use a strong muscular organ called a gizzard. Chickens pick up grit whilst foraging, which is kept for a while in the gizzard to perform this grinding process. If your chickens are kept truly free range then they will find enough of this on their own but these days, few of us have the space or the security from predators to be able to allow them to do this naturally.

Flint (or insoluble) grit is cheap and available from most good pet or farm shops, the container you put it in costs a little more though if it is going to last.

Oystershell or soluble grit
In order to form strong egg shells, chickens require a certain amount of calcium in their diet. Most of an egg shell is made up of calcium. These days, with the research that has been done for formulated feeds (available as layers mash or pellets), it isn’t so critical to provide oystershell grit because layers feeds contain sufficient calcium, however, it’s cheap and it’s easy to mix some in with the flint grit that they need above so it’s a good idea to provide some, in case they need more calcium. High production hybrid hens are capable of producing a staggering number of eggs in a year on very little feed (known commercially as the ‘conversion ratio’) so they are more likely to need the extra calcium to be able to produce the right number of eggs of sufficient quality.

If you can’t find Oystershell grit from your local store, baked, crushed egg shells will do the same job – after all, they are mainly made up of calcium! Put them in the oven for 10 minutes to dry them out and crunch them up before mixing them in to your grit hopper.

Although grit is heavy, if all else fails, you can still . A small bag lasts for a long time.

Grit hoppers
Grit containers come in a variety of shapes and sizes – the priority is really to make sure it doesn’t get tipped over or filled up with water. There are some good galvanised grit hoppers that will last a lifetime but will cost you a few pounds more to start with.

Share this:

dippingatoe

Funster
Deceased RIP
Jul 23, 2013
UK
Funster No
MH
Thor Damon Daybreak 27P
Exp
jan 2014
I used to breed Marans and Cream Legbars as a hobby and there is a fair bit of info on my two sites - I kept them live as a free resource for anyone looking to find out information.

If anyone is interested there is a fair bit about chickens and eggs on them http://www.darkbrowneggs.info especially the first the other is more about the Cream Legbar as a breed. www.blue-eggs.co.uk

Seems like a lifetime ago :)

Last edited:
Feb 26, 2012
Funster No
MH
coach
Exp
Motorhome since 2006 (caravanning 38yrs)
What an enlightened lot you are! Very interesting though.

LesleyC

Free Member
Jul 28, 2015
Surrey
Funster No
MH
Base bought-no conversion
Exp
None at all, but a fair amount of tent camping experience
We have our very first chickens at the moment. 15 weeks old. Its been fun watching them develop. Got them at 7 days old. Can't wait to have some eggs.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back