New Tomtom Sat Navs. (1 Viewer)

Dec 18, 2011
Hull
Funster No
MH
Autotrail 634
Exp
Since 2006
At last it seems TomTom have listened,and the new range of GO devices have the ability to install 3rd party points of interest.Its not perfect because as yet you can't import the associated icons but at least it is a start.Recent GO devices can also update their firmware to allow the above

magicsurfbus

Free Member
Oct 11, 2010
NW England
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1997
Thank F*** for that. Now all I have to do is spend three days downloading the new firmware from their snail-paced servers.

OP
OP
Camper634
Dec 18, 2011
Hull
Funster No
MH
Autotrail 634
Exp
Since 2006
I have updated the firmware and the maps and it took about 2 hours.Just waiting for the Mydrive app to be released in the UK by App Store now.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

DJA

Mar 5, 2011
Funster No
MH
A
Exp
Since 2008
Hi Magicsurfbus

I would suggest that when you go to update your Tomtom you are likely to be asked to download the new MyDrive software first. Once you have done that then download the updates individually. If one is the new map leave that till later as that is the huge file which takes ages unless you have superfast broadband.

You will have similar download problems with other makes of GPS with files as large as they are getting. The new map is 6+gb. If your onboard memory does not have sufficient spare capacity you will need to install an 8gb or greater card for the map to be loaded onto or you could be offered the option to download a slightly smaller map which does not have 3D buildings on it.

Further to Ovalballs comment this new software is a great improvement and apparently Tomtom have got the loading of .bmp files as a job to do. You also at the moment cannot create new POI categories or add a new POI to an existing category on the Tomtom. Hopefully that is to come.

You can use POIEdit software to create and amend POI files.

Doug

GWAYGWAY

Free Member
Sep 6, 2014
Dover
Funster No
MH
Hymer ML I 580
Exp
4 years
Considered suicide after spending whole of this afternoon trying to get the Go 600 to be accepted onto the computor to upload my Wildcamping POI. It was/is not able to be recognised and the uploading cannot take place unless it is. There is no way I can see to follow the uploading instructions . Whe I bought this satnav I really liked the size but then I found out about the non acceptance of third party POI and had to buy a Garmin as well which does. TT is a total waste of money.

OP
OP
Camper634
Dec 18, 2011
Hull
Funster No
MH
Autotrail 634
Exp
Since 2006
I know certain browsers don't like the Mydrive program.I used IE and had no problems but had all sorts of fun with both chrome and Firefox.

OP
OP
Camper634
Dec 18, 2011
Hull
Funster No
MH
Autotrail 634
Exp
Since 2006
  1. image.jpg

Jan 3, 2008
Pakefield, Lowestoft, Suffolk, UK
Funster No
MH
Looking
Exp
I bought a 5100 last week with some trepidation remembering the 1005 and the 5000 were released as a work in progress as opposed to a finished product.

I found POI cannot be loaded when a full europe map is installed because the map takes up too much space. POI cannot be installed on the SD card, there is no facility to do so. Seems very obvious that the device should have been given much more room in the memory together with the facility for the user to decide where to store data. However if only the basic map for Europe is installed there is room for POI but why should I have to compromise.

All in all a poor device in terms of display which is too dim particularly in strong sunlight and voice control which rarely works and the device I found sluggish in performance going through menus.

I have returned the device to the retailer and been given a refund.

I will stick with my Garmin 3598 which beats the Tom-tom hands down in all areas except traffic information, but that is only slightly behind especially when linked to my smartphone.

magicsurfbus

Free Member
Oct 11, 2010
NW England
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1997
I posted a new thread on this subject yesterday, the upshot of which is that it's now possible to put 3rd party POIs on the previously restricted models of TomTom but only if you swap your W Europe map with 3D buildings included for one without buildings using the MyDrive Connect software. This saves around 2Gb of onboard memory, allowing you to download the POIs with MyDrive.

Full details here.

Jan 3, 2008
Funster No
MH
Looking
Exp
Yes I understand what your saying and thank you for the information but I don't see shy I should have to compromise on the map. The other issue is, even if you get the POI you cannot install BMP files

If your happy with the compromise and not to have BMP thats fine, but I wasn't especially for what Tom-tom say is a premium product, I don't think it is and I dint want to wait for updates to software from Tom-tom to improve matters as an when they diced to bother to do it.

Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
I can't see why tomtom have these problems now with their 'improved' offerings.

My old Go 730 does all the things the new ones don't, including running the whole thing from a 16Gb SD card which is nothing like full (The inbuilt memory at 2Gb is too small for the newer maps unless you only have one country at a time, so isn't used at all).

magicsurfbus

Free Member
Oct 11, 2010
NW England
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1997
Yes I understand what your saying and thank you for the information but I don't see shy I should have to compromise on the map. The other issue is, even if you get the POI you cannot install BMP files

If your happy with the compromise and not to have BMP thats fine, but I wasn't especially for what Tom-tom say is a premium product, I don't think it is and I dint want to wait for updates to software from Tom-tom to improve matters as an when they diced to bother to do it.

I fully appreciate your impatience here - if I'd known the Go 5000 wouldn't take POIs I wouldn't have bought it, but it's good in most other respects so I'm making the most of it.

The .bmp icon issue is a pain, but I don't consider losing the 3D building graphics to be a compromise on the map. Most of the buildings shown bear no resemblance to what's outside the windscreen. If it means I can put extra data on the main memory then so be it. Seems to me that TomTom put the 3D cart before the POI horse to make their kit look more flash, but lost basic functionality as a result.

Forestboy

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 31, 2007
Forest of Dean
Funster No
MH
A Class Hymer B694 tag
Exp
Only ever had one Tom Tom never ever again.
Garmin on the bike Co Pilot in the van.
Gotta say Co Pilot is far far superior to any sat nav device and a fraction of the price, will probably never waste money on another sat nav.
Co Pilot rules.

greygit

Free Member
Aug 11, 2009
Forest of Dean, Glos, France and Spain
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Only ever had one Tom Tom never ever again.
Garmin on the bike Co Pilot in the van.
Gotta say Co Pilot is far far superior to any sat nav device and a fraction of the price, will probably never waste money on another sat nav.
Co Pilot rules.

I have co-pilot Europe but I seldom use it as I find our Tomtom 6000 far better, especially on motorway lane guidance.

Jan 3, 2008
Funster No
MH
Looking
Exp
On the subject of Tom-toms, asI said I returned mine for a refund. However I didn't take back the the genuine Tom-tom 5" case I bought with it as I didn't keep the packaging. If anyone would like it, they are welcome to it for the price of postage, just let me know.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back