Swiss Francs - do they accept euros in Switzerland? (1 Viewer)

Aug 19, 2013
Wells, Somerset
Funster No
MH
Elddis 115
Exp
since 2004
ACSI sites are priced in euros, just wondering if I need to get some Swiss francs changed or would they take euros? It's just for a couple of nights

Oct 5, 2012
Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
Carado T132
Exp
5 years, feel free to ask me about the Carado!!
The scammed me at the border for the van vignette when I paid in euros, so best take francs to pay for that or get overcharged.

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
A Franc is worth slightly more than a Euro (CHF1 = €1.08 today) so I would imagine if you paid in Euros you would be charged more to cover that exchange rate.

Soozywoozy

Free Member
Feb 18, 2014
Oxfordshire - edge of the cotswolds
Funster No
MH
Hymer B 704SL
Exp
2014, 2 motorhomes
We paid for our campsite in Swiss Francs with a credit card, so although we took a hit on credit card foreign transaction it was cheaper than exchanging cash or euros exchange. That said they do tend to take either, and Switzerland is incredibly expensive - try not to eat out, your eyes will water

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

jumar

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 6, 2012
Spain
Funster No
MH
Hymer Tramp
Exp
Since 1994
I use credit card, simple choice.

Forestboy

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 31, 2007
Forest of Dean
Funster No
MH
A Class Hymer B694 tag
Exp
They're Swiss they'll take all and any money and be rude to you to boot.
Beautiful country full of not very nice people.
We occasionally go through Switzerland and love the country but always come out cursing the Swiss and saying never again.

MikeandCarolyn

Free Member
Mar 18, 2008
Worle,North Somerset
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2009
We occasionally go through Switzerland and love the country but always come out cursing the Swiss and saying never again.

On our way to Annecy we went into Switzerland and through Geneva,at the border a very polite officer asked where we were going and if we would be using motorways. I told him we were headed for Annecy and shrugging and pointing at the garmin I said "not if I can help it" he laughed and waved us through-no vignette.(y)

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
On our way to Annecy we went into Switzerland and through Geneva,at the border a very polite officer asked where we were going and if we would be using motorways. I told him we were headed for Annecy and shrugging and pointing at the garmin I said "not if I can help it" he laughed and waved us through-no vignette.(y)
Be careful round Annecy mobile often logs on to Swiss network can cost you a fortune being non EU, you don't get cheap roaming. Set the network manually.

MikeandCarolyn

Free Member
Mar 18, 2008
Worle,North Somerset
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2009
Be careful round Annecy mobile often logs on to Swiss network can cost you a fortune being non EU, you don't get cheap roaming. Set the network manually.

We rarely have phones on when away,unless we really need them.:)

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
Switzerland is a Three feel at home destination.... We just drive through these days....have stayed many times in the past its a beautiful country...but expensive.

Stayed on an aire there on way down to italy. 24 Swiss francs a night. Our German neighbours gave us change luckily as we presumed we could pay by card.....wrong!

madgeD

Free Member
Aug 17, 2014
Cleveland
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
since 2005
We stopped at a site one night we didn't have any swiss francs as we shouldn't have been there (another story) it was 32 sf I paid her 32 euro of course she didn't understand English didn't give me any change !! :sick: I was too tired to ask ! anyway I didn't declare my two chihuahua,s ;) mind you I didnt realize until I read the charges that I should have.

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...

Yeah all here are sweetness and light!lol

If you intend to use Aires you will need Swiss change

DanielFord

Free Member
Jun 1, 2013
Funster No
Handy tip when using debit or credit cards, in Switzerland, all the machines will ask if you want to pay using Euro or GBP. You would think that you would get the same rate no matter what you select, however that is not true. If you pay in Euros, then you get you banks exchange rate, if you select GBP, you will be on the extortionate Swiss exchange rate. I got caught out by that one!

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
Handy tip when using debit or credit cards, in Switzerland, all the machines will ask if you want to pay using Euro or GBP. You would think that you would get the same rate no matter what you select, however that is not true. If you pay in Euros, then you get you banks exchange rate, if you select GBP, you will be on the extortionate Swiss exchange rate. I got caught out by that one!
That's odd because it's the complete opposite of what you should do everywhere else. By choosing gbp you get your own bank to do the conversion, choose euros and you get the exchange rate of the owner of the atm, which is generally much worse than the visa exchange rate which your bank will use, assuming it is a visa card.

I wonder if it is because they are not in the euro zone?

DuxDeluxe

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 10, 2008
Planet Zog
Funster No
MH
A woosh bang van
Exp
since 2008
That's odd because it's the complete opposite of what you should do everywhere else. By choosing gbp you get your own bank to do the conversion, choose euros and you get the exchange rate of the owner of the atm, which is generally much worse than the visa exchange rate which your bank will use, assuming it is a visa card.

It is true, though....... been bitten before

DanielFord

Free Member
Jun 1, 2013
Funster No

Very possibly, I don't know the reason, only that it is true. It could also be that Switzerland is the banking capital of the world, so they make up their own rules? :D

Reactions: DBK

DuxDeluxe

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 10, 2008
Planet Zog
Funster No
MH
A woosh bang van
Exp
since 2008
Very possibly, I don't know the reason, only that it is true. It could also be that Switzerland is the banking capital of the world, so they make up their own rules? :D
Lived there for a few years. It is true what they say....... " everyone likes the Swiss franc, but only the Swiss love the centime"

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back