Continental Camper (CP) Tyres. The dogs B*ll*cks (1 Viewer)

Feb 9, 2008
Corby, Northants
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
Since 2007
Over the moon with these tyres. Had them fitted when Motorhome was purchased as new 4.1/2 years ago. Done 28,500 miles and the minimum tread left on the front tyres is 5 mm and 7 mm on the rear.
These will get me through another trip down to Maroc and a few thousand more miles before replacing the front ones upon return.
Brilliant tyres, never let me down (touch wood)
Incidently, anyone know how much tread is on a brand new camper tyres (8.mm ?)

Safe Travels

mikebeaches

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 22, 2010
Bristol
Funster No
MH
Rapido V68 Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2009
Yes, our van has had Continental camper tyres fitted from new 5 years ago. We've covered 28,000 miles without incident so far.

I sometimes wonder if they make the ride a bit harsh - I keep the tyre pressures right down to those recommended by Continental, for my weight - but I'm prepared to put up with that because they've proved so reliable to date. Especially, as my van didn't have a spare and, unfortunately, there isn't really anywhere to put one.

The tyres have obviously worn somewhat, but I haven't checked the precise depth recently - they look OK for the moment. The van is in for a Fiat service next month and I know they measure and report on all the treads each year.

Is it still as difficult as ever to get replacement camper tyres in the right size? Oh, and I think I read somewhere that Continental have introduced a new model of tyre to replace the previous campers, but I'm not sure of the details?

Mike

OP
OP
PhilandMena
Feb 9, 2008
Corby, Northants
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
Since 2007
Yes, there still relatively easy to get just do a google search. Black Circles are offering Michelin camper tyres (CP) for £112.00 fitted. This is a good price. I have found a local tyre fitter who will do the Continental at £109. per tyre.
Not aware that Continental have introduced a newer Camper tyre but aware Michelin have improved the tread on theirs.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jul 18, 2009
Manchester UK + Javea/Xabia Costa Blanca Spain
Funster No
MH
HYMER B644
Exp
If it helps anyone looking for tyres, you may know we run on winters all-year.

One of our Sprinters had Michelin alpin fitted 10mm tread new at 27,000 miles. It is now almost 80,000 miles and rear is 3mm tread and front 4mm. They are all getting replaced due to age.

Superb tyres available in 8 or 10 ply in many sizes.

We have some 235/65/16 8 ply and 10 ply

OP
OP
PhilandMena
Feb 9, 2008
Corby, Northants
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
Since 2007
Still should be replaced after 5 years regardless of mileage or remaining tread.

UV damage isnt always seen.
Yes! aware of this. I wonder if it falls into the same argument as food use by dates LOL. So, one day before 5 years they are OK and one day after they are not ?
I suspect the answer is annual tyre inspections by a competent person. I get mine checked twice a year, second one a month before my overwintering destination departure.

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
Interesting thing here about winter tyres - they recommend using them all year round if swapping between summer and winter tyres is impractical. In other words, when you need new tyres - get winter ones. Assuming you use your MH in winter and don't park it up of course! It would make economic sense too, as with the average mileage MHs do having two sets of tyres means they would need replacing on age long before they were worn out.
Broken Link Removed

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
New camping tyres have 9-100mm tread depth.

I still have one Continental camper 215 x 70 x15 for sale one year old 8mm tread depth.
Bloody hell....four inches of tread, i bet they wobble a bit.

:LOL:

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
even my truck tyres arent that deep. mind given the choice i wouldnt buy the 9mm ones if i could buy 100mm ones . hee hee . fink it may be a smelling pistake .
i fit chinese tyres they work and seem ok. maxmiler gt 215/75r16c 116/114 m&s seem good grip ,not noisey .fuel efficiency class c wet grip class c external noise value 72
and only 75 quid each fitted .
had them on just over a year and very pleased with them .

Last edited:

makems

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 23, 2011
Ingleby Barwick,,Teesside
Funster No
MH
Sadly had to give up
Exp
2010-2017
Phil,
Yes! aware of this. I wonder if it falls into the same argument as food use by dates LOL. So, one day before 5 years they are OK and one day after they are not ?
I suspect the answer is annual tyre inspections by a competent person. I get mine checked twice a year, second one a month before my overwintering destination departure.
Phil, I always have my tyres inspected before the Winter trip. It didn't prevent this happening on a Spanish motorway on the way home from Maroc. tyres were 5 years old at the time.
It certainly went with a bang!

image.jpg

JeanLuc

Free Member
Nov 17, 2008
Warwickshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer B630 Star-Line
Exp
Since 2007
I had four Vanco Winter 2 tyres fitted last Autumn and will use them all-year round. Very pleased with them so far - they replaced standard Vanco 2 tyres which had done 5 years and two of which suffered punctures last September in Italy / France

Allanm

Free Member
Jun 30, 2013
Cotes d'armor, France
Funster No
MH
Burstner Harmony TI 736 G
Exp
Since 1987
We have Continental Vanco tyres fitted. I did experiment with tyre pressures, thinking 5.5 bar at the back was a bit high so dropped them down to 5, then 4.5.
Then I bought a set of Tyrepal tyre pressure monitors. They also monitor the temperature. You'd be amazed how hot the tyres ran when the pressures were below the recommended amount!
All pressures are now back to what they should be.
Talking about tyre deterioration, most tyres deteriorate from the inside, generally due to moisture inside the tyre and lack of use, so damage can't be seen. UV light actually causes very little damage

Oct 20, 2014
Wicklow Town, Ireland
Funster No
MH
2020 Avantgarde 175
Exp
A good few years
We have Continental Vanco tyres fitted. I did experiment with tyre pressures, thinking 5.5 bar at the back was a bit high so dropped them down to 5, then 4.5.
Then I bought a set of Tyrepal tyre pressure monitors. They also monitor the temperature. You'd be amazed how hot the tyres ran when the pressures were below the recommended amount!
Talking about tyre deterioration, most tyres deteriorate from the inside, generally due to moisture inside the tyre and lack of use, so damage can't be seen. UV light actually causes very little damage

I have Continental Vanco's also, Couldn't believe it when I seen 80 psi( 5.5 bar ) marked on the tyre. Feel more re-assured by your experiment with temps now....cheers(y)

JeanLuc

Free Member
Nov 17, 2008
Warwickshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer B630 Star-Line
Exp
Since 2007
I have Continental Vanco's also, Couldn't believe it when I seen 80 psi( 5.5 bar ) marked on the tyre. Feel more re-assured by your experiment with temps now....cheers(y)
I presume you are referring to Conti Vanco Camper (CP) tyres at that high pressure? The 5.5 bar marking indicates the maximum pressure that the tyre should be inflated to - not the specific in-service pressure for the load being carried. If you want to get it spot on, download the Conti data book from the link below then find your tyre in the table at the end of the 'Van Tyres' section. Scan across and you will see the pressure that Conti recommend for each axle loading. I don't have CP tyres - I have standard Conti C (Vanco Winter2) and have followed the same process. I have also checked the settings I use with Continental's Technical Dept. Of course you will need to know the actual axle loading from a weigh bridge but that only needs to be done once when you have a full load, then you can set your pressures to carry that load without over-inflating which can lead to a harsher ride and premature wear in the centre of the tyre.
Broken Link Removed

OP
OP
PhilandMena
Feb 9, 2008
Corby, Northants
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
Since 2007
Phil,

Phil, I always have my tyres inspected before the Winter trip. It didn't prevent this happening on a Spanish motorway on the way home from Maroc. tyres were 5 years old at the time.

Jesus! Was that a front tyre and were you speeding again !

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
The only pressure written on my Continental tyres is the maximum pressure, which is 83 psi. Continental produce a leaflet which you can use to get the recommended pressure for your tyres based on the axle load. I took my 'van to the local weighbridge and from the axle weights worked out my tyres (225/75 R 16 C 120/121) should be run at 3.25 bar (47 psi). Compared to what I had been running them at (5.0 bar) I was staggered by this but I let out masses of air to get them down to this pressure then did 3,000 miles in Spain this year without mishap - and I did get out and feel the tyres at first because I still wasn't convinced, but I am now. You have to trust the tyre manufacturer to know what pressure their tyres should be at. The big upside for me is the ride is lot better now.

The Continental brochure is attached. It is a bit of a struggle to read and understand but it pays to persevere. You can find my tyres on pages 24 and 25 of the brochure about a third of the way down the table. On the right hand side, page 25 the line for me is against 121 as the 'van has single tyres.

Recommended pressures for other manufacturers are different - I seem to recall Michelin say 80 psi in all circumstances!

Edit: JeanLuc beat me to it!

Attachments

• Continental Tyres.pdf
    2.4 MB · Views: 110
Oct 20, 2014
Wicklow Town, Ireland
Funster No
MH
2020 Avantgarde 175
Exp
A good few years
I presume you are referring to Conti Vanco Camper (CP) tyres at that high pressure? The 5.5 bar marking indicates the maximum pressure that the tyre should be inflated to - not the specific in-service pressure for the load being carried. If you want to get it spot on, download the Conti data book from the link below then find your tyre in the table at the end of the 'Van Tyres' section. Scan across and you will see the pressure that Conti recommend for each axle loading. I don't have CP tyres - I have standard Conti C (Vanco Winter2) and have followed the same process. I have also checked the settings I use with Continental's Technical Dept. Of course you will need to know the actual axle loading from a weigh bridge but that only needs to be done once when you have a full load, then you can set your pressures to carry that load without over-inflating which can lead to a harsher ride and premature wear in the centre of the tyre.
Broken Link Removed
Continental Vanco 10 215/75 R16 116R. They have little emblem for both a van and motorhome on them. Max psi is 80. I have them at 75 psi all round. Thanks for the link(y)

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
Continental Vanco 10 215/75 R16 116R. They have little emblem for both a van and motorhome on them. Max psi is 80. I have them at 75 psi all round. Thanks for the link(y)
At 75 psi your axle limit is 2,500 kg. Of course, axle loading front and rear are probably different so this is why you need to take the vehicle to a weighbridge. :) But if you are running them at the correct pressure it means you have a 5.0t MH with the weight evenly balanced fore and aft.

Oct 20, 2014
Wicklow Town, Ireland
Funster No
MH
2020 Avantgarde 175
Exp
A good few years
At 75 psi your axle limit is 2,500 kg. Of course, axle loading front and rear are probably different so this is why you need to take the vehicle to a weighbridge. :) But if you are running them at the correct pressure it means you have a 5.0t MH with the weight evenly balanced fore and aft.
We have a big European trip coming up next month, I will be taking both your, and Jeanlucs advice and get in on a weighbridge to get correct pressures....cheers for the info(y)

May 5, 2014
Leicestershire
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Beginners, got Doggy the van - March 2014
Got 4 VancoCamper 225/75 R16 CP 116R.
To upgrade rear axle wright, need to replace the rear tyres to 118R or 121R. There is no VancoCamper with higher load indexes higher then 116R.
To which continental Vanco shel I change, Vanco All Seasons, Vanco 100, or ....
Advise please.

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
Got 4 VancoCamper 225/75 R16 CP 116R.
To upgrade rear axle wright, need to replace the rear tyres to 118R or 121R. There is no VancoCamper with higher load indexes higher then 116R.
To which continental Vanco shel I change, Vanco All Seasons, Vanco 100, or ....
Advise please.

If you want a summer tyre the Vanco 100 at 121 load rating are fine, if you want to use them in the winter in snow and muddy fields and especially in Germany/Austria etc go for the fourseasons as they are full mountain/snowflake. You would not worry about them not being camping specific if you felt the sidewall stiffness and overall weight difference of the 121 load rating fourseasons vs the 116 Michelin camping. I run the Conti fourseasons all round in the winter but change the fronts to the Michelin camping for the summer as the tread/block pattern is slightly more direct and planted on the steering.

Martin

Daveo2006

Free Member
Jan 25, 2013
kent
Funster No
MH
Apache 700
Exp
3 years
New camping tyres have 9-100mm tread depth.

I still have one Continental camper 215 x 70 x15 for sale one year old 8mm tread depth.
i will try a pair of these on the front , maybe won't have to level the van up :LOL:

Daveo2006

Free Member
Jan 25, 2013
kent
Funster No
MH
Apache 700
Exp
3 years
Phil,

View attachment 72399

Is that a bucket of water to try and find the puncture ?

makems

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 23, 2011
Ingleby Barwick,,Teesside
Funster No
MH
Sadly had to give up
Exp
2010-2017
Jesus! Was that a front tyre and were you speeding again !
Gwen was driving and fortunately it was a rear tyre. She did well to keep it straight all the same. We were only doing about 50 mph at the time because it was raining heavily at the time. Perfect weather for having to get out and put the warning triangle 150 yards behind.
No, I didn't change it myself, that's what I pay breakdown Insurance for! :)

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
since 2007.Tugger before since 1970

Well u v light ruined side walls on my cycle and destroyed rubber gaiters on front forks,,,keep bike cover on now when parked up in Europe. BUSBY:):):)

Teuchter

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Nov 4, 2014
Lee on the Solent
Funster No
MH
Hymer Mercedes MLI 580
Exp
I have been caravanning for 32 years but in 2014 I have"gone over to the dark side"
Especially, as my van didn't have a spare and, unfortunately, there isn't really anywhere to put one.
Mike

My new Fiat/Knaus came without a spare wheel I was told that there was nowhere to fit one but I've had a new Ducatto one supplied and fitted by Southdowns Motorhomes / Fiat Commercial Portsmouth - ouch!! - expensive but what price peace of mind?

mikebeaches

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 22, 2010
Bristol
Funster No
MH
Rapido V68 Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2009
My new Fiat/Knaus came without a spare wheel I was told that there was nowhere to fit one but I've had a new Ducatto one supplied and fitted by Southdowns Motorhomes / Fiat Commercial Portsmouth - ouch!! - expensive but what price peace of mind?

I know exactly what you mean about peace of mind. The trouble with our van, Chausson, the converter has fitted two waste (grey water) tanks under the van where the spare should go! :(

And as the van is only 5.99m long, we're not over endowed with space elsewhere.

Mike

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back