LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Just says a train stopped.. find that a bit hard to swallow as talking to one of the guys last week he said that is exactly the reason they have a powered unit at both ends.. redundancy ..

sdc77

Free Member
Jan 28, 2013
Weardale, Co Durham
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
since 2011
The twitter feed earlier said it was an alarm on a train I think

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
After being delayed for more than four hours when we travelled three weeks ago , plus the chaos on the roads in Kent getting there, I vowed it won't ever be a problem again as it's the last time I book it.. no more Chunnel for us.. . enough is enough ..

Jan 3, 2008
Pakefield, Lowestoft, Suffolk, UK
Funster No
MH
Looking
Exp
After being delayed for more than four hours when we travelled three weeks ago , plus the chaos on the roads in Kent getting there, I vowed it won't ever be a problem again as it's the last time I book it.. no more Chunnel for us.. . enough is enough ..

I am sure you are right, we have decided to put off our usual September trip to France and stay in the UK for a change. However, Eurotunnel is, after all, a commercial enterprise and I think they will move heaven and earth to make it secure rather than loose a lot of customers and revenue. I also think that the UK and French governments, as well as other European countries will will be forced to come up with a positive plan to deal with the whole migrant issue.

In short, I think and hope, its a temporary cessation to our use of Eurotunnel.

Jul 4, 2010
Essex / central France
Funster No
MH
Hymer Star Line 680
Exp
9 years
I know that there are major problems on occasion at the Tunnel, but there is a lot of scaremongering going on too, it makes good copy don't you know. We have made 2 return crossings in the last 4 weeks, that's four separate journeys. The only problem we had was about 3 weeks ago with operation stack, p... up and brewery came to mind. But it wasn't too big a deal and only a 2 hour delay, the world at and around the Tunnel seemed to cope with it without a lot of fuss.

Twice on exiting at Calais there have been groups of mainly young men just sort of hanging around, the last time last Sunday night there were maybe 40 or 50 near the exit road and they looked a sad and sorry sight. There was and so far has never been any sense of a threat, that in our experience is mainly in the mind of journalists and other who haven't travelled via Eurotunnel recently (not to say there isn't the odd isolated incident though).

The point of my comment is, it is a great shame if it puts people from having the holiday they really want as things are rarely as bad as presented in the media, of course you could get unlucky but so could you walking down to your local shops.

mjltigger

Free Member
Nov 12, 2014
Trowbridge
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Dakota Max
Exp
I once had a 5 hour delay flying to Aberdeen. I was at an airport recently with the arrivals board still showing a flight 12 hours late with no eta. I've been stuck in traffic jams that have delayed me for over 3 hours on the m6 and the m1.

Whenever you travel there is a risk that someone else's bad day will ruin yours as well... Just remember how good it is when it works and compare it to the best run ferry service and the tunnel wins every time..

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
I fully accept that hiccups happen.. and delays ensue.. but this problem of migrants trying to access the UK via the tunnel has been going on for at least ten years.. and there is no solution in sight ..

what I'm saying is I won't be booking it again until it is resolved.. one way or the other.. nor will I book a ferry from Dover either.. there are plenty of other routes into Europe without the misery of driving in grid locked Kent and then waiting for hours to get to Calais.. a whole day to travel from Suffolk to France is just ridiculous..

We paid a premium price for a crap service with no compensation for the delay.. on return we came back a day early to ensure we were home in time for Charlotte's Cadet camp.. and were charged extra for doing so.. as I said.. no more tunnel or Dover for us until the situation is resolved..

mjltigger

Free Member
Nov 12, 2014
Trowbridge
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Dakota Max
Exp
I agree completely.. then I remember how much more expensive those other crossings are and remember I want to bank holiday in Holland and definitely want to do some Christmas markets again this year and I can't keep away... having said that I've been lucky and never had a delay on the tunnel that wasn't caused by me falling asleep in the waiting area..

sdc77

Free Member
Jan 28, 2013
Weardale, Co Durham
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
since 2011
The tunnel has only really become an issue recently when the ferrys were on strike / blockaded. The ferry terminals were actually their crossing point of choice.

mjltigger

Free Member
Nov 12, 2014
Trowbridge
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Dakota Max
Exp
The tunnel has only really become an issue recently when the ferrys were on strike / blockaded. The ferry terminals were actually their crossing point of choice.

Are you sure they were migrants? Looked like a coach trip from Bolton to me..
clear.png
clear.png
clear.png
clear.png

Scout

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 4, 2009
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
chic c line
Exp
12 years motorhoming, a lifetime of living
we rang thier ( french side ) customer service last night, as our daughters coming back home vai tunnel today, they told us its was breakdown and all will be ok today, it looks like it is.

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User

When we travelled 3 weeks ago, the day before you I believe, we weren't delayed at all other than I suppose half an hour extra going round the A20 but that's no big deal. We actually got a train 3 hours earlier than our scheduled one.

appydaze

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 12, 2009
southend on sea essex
Funster No
MH
Merc high top
Exp
20 years
I fully accept that hiccups happen.. and delays ensue.. but this problem of migrants trying to access the UK via the tunnel has been going on for at least ten years.. and there is no solution in sight ..

what I'm saying is I won't be booking it again until it is resolved.. one way or the other.. nor will I book a ferry from Dover either.. there are plenty of other routes into Europe without the misery of driving in grid locked Kent and then waiting for hours to get to Calais.. a whole day to travel from Suffolk to France is just ridiculous..

We paid a premium price for a crap service with no compensation for the delay.. on return we came back a day early to ensure we were home in time for Charlotte's Cadet camp.. and were charged extra for doing so.. as I said.. no more tunnel or Dover for us until the situation is resolved..
Well you are a naughty boy coming home a bit early. You are going to pay for this. That's what is so annoying. Of course before you go we will let you pay extra if you think you may be early. What the f##k difference does it really make. One thing I really hate is being blatantly ripped off. :mad:

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
Can you get it sorted for me by Wednesday please guys as coming home:(

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
We actually got a train 3 hours earlier than our scheduled one.

we were booked on the 11.50 am crossing.. as I expected delays we left Suffolk in plenty of time...

The M20 was closed and we were diverted via the M2/A2 and got snarled up in grid locked traffic before we reached the tunnel terminal.. we made it on time but then sat there for three hours in a car park jam packed with delayed vehicles.. it was chaos .. by the time we reached France I had enough of the heat and traffic and rather than travel much further we stopped for the night at Boulogne aire .. as I said almost a full day to get from Suffolk to Boulogne ...

I don't care how long or when it started, whether this year or ten years ago.. at the ferry terminal or the tunnel. .. or whether it's caused by French ferry workers setting fire to tyres on the road, French farmers protesting, or illegal migrants, until it is sorted we won't be booking any crossing from Dover to Calais again.. enough is enough..

Allanm

Free Member
Jun 30, 2013
Cotes d'armor, France
Funster No
MH
Burstner Harmony TI 736 G
Exp
Since 1987
We've made 5 trips to France and back since June. The longest delay was about 20 minutes and the detours have added another few minutes to the journey getting to the terminal.
Giving that we live 20 miles from the tunnel, we wouldn't stop using it whatever happens, but I can see it must be frustrating after a long journey to get a delayed crossing and to be stuck in queues of traffic.
It's also annoying being charged extra for an earlier/ later crossing, especially when you can see there is plenty of space on the train you are getting on.
I guess, if you have a choice of crossings, it's only sensible to take the best option, we used to when we lived in the Midlands.

Teuchter

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Nov 4, 2014
Lee on the Solent
Funster No
MH
Hymer Mercedes MLI 580
Exp
I have been caravanning for 32 years but in 2014 I have"gone over to the dark side"
We are off to France again next week, however we always go from Portsmouth as we only live half an hour from the ferry port :)

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
We'll never use anything other than the tunnel until ferry companies start allowing dogs to stay with you on the crossing without having to pay ridiculous amounts for pet friendly cabins.

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
which ones have pet friendly cabins, any idea of cost please?

The longer crossings. I know the ones that go to Bilbao and I think Santander do. There aren't many of them and they sell out very quickly.

Cost? Bloody extortionate.

I looked, just as an exercise, a few months ago. The earliest crossing to Bilbao I could get was October this year, so about 6 or 7 months in advance. You can only have one pet per cabin so even though they were 4 berth I would have needed to book 2 of them for 3 of us and 2 dogs. The return trip was something like £1500.

If we ever want to go to Spain it will be via tunnel and drive all the way.

Oct 5, 2014
somerset
Funster No
MH
firebrand campervan
Exp
brittany ferries, ecconomy portsmouth - le havre prices vary. (p.m. if you are interested in discount)
cheers Chris

Jul 18, 2009
Manchester UK + Javea/Xabia Spain + Abu Dhabi
Funster No
MH
HYMER B644
Exp
I wish they would sort it out, the cost of the alternatives that we use are shooting up due to higher demand.

We very rarely use Eurotunnel these days, Folkestone is an arse in the world to get to with our motorway network. The M6 has been shut at some point every day this week due to accidents. Many blame the accidents on volume of traffic. Have you ever seen this on the continent?.

But when we did try Eurotunnel again in March this year, we arrived an hour beyond the two hour late window Eurotunnel allows, due to a hell of a journey from Manchesster. They charged us £73 extra to go on an almost empty train. The extra £73 was more than the £60 we had paid originally.

I notice now, that even booking well in advance, the prices have gone up and £75 is around the lowest charge, £95-£100 the most common for a MH. Last minute being around £250 each way.

It is just too expensive when you consider all the alternatives that are far more convenient too.

TM

Jul 18, 2009
Funster No
MH
HYMER B644
Exp
The longer crossings. I know the ones that go to Bilbao and I think Santander do. There aren't many of them and they sell out very quickly.

Cost? Bloody extortionate.

I looked, just as an exercise, a few months ago. The earliest crossing to Bilbao I could get was October this year, so about 6 or 7 months in advance. You can only have one pet per cabin so even though they were 4 berth I would have needed to book 2 of them for 3 of us and 2 dogs. The return trip was something like £1500.

If we ever want to go to Spain it will be via tunnel and drive all the way.

Not from my Calculations.

But then we all have different needs, wants and requirements....

We use the Spanish routes at least 4 times a year. Traveling by car, motorhome or minibus. They always beat flying for us as we can take what luggage we want and we love the trip. No car hire hassle and cheaper. The trip takes 3 days where as flying is 1 day.

If you are BF Club members, you can save the membership often on the first crossings. You get 30% off the passage (not cabins).

We have 5 crossings booked up until November 2016 and we can change these within around 6 weeks of departure easily online. Booking costs £35 deposit and you don't lose this if you move the booking, you do if you cancel after a certain period, (45 days I think).

To give an example. We have a booking for 7 adults and 2 children in two cabins, August 2016 return in 9 seater. Cost is £1,150 or £128 each in free Breakfast. Add fuel and tolls to destination £300 return from NW UK and that comes out at just over £160 per passenger.

Compare that to flying.

Transfer costs / airport parking costs
Flight Costs
Minibus hire in Spain in high season is a small fortune.

6m Motorhome return trips start from around £380 if booked early, add per Metre for larger vans.

I have put some winter prices on

Attachments

• bfbs.jpg
    bfbs.jpg
    66.1 KB · Views: 10
  • bfpa.jpg
    bfpa.jpg
    68.6 KB · Views: 10

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
We are using it next Friday so fingers crossed.

I think I will look at alternative crossings for future trips though until we sort the French and the migrants out.

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
Not from my Calculations.

But then we all have different needs, wants and requirements....

Calculate whatever you like. That was a direct quote from whichever ferry company it was to take my van, my family and the dogs.

We would have no choice other than to book two pet friendly cabins which are obviously charged at a massive premium.

Jul 18, 2009
Funster No
MH
HYMER B644
Exp
Calculate whatever you like. That was a direct quote from whichever ferry company it was to take my van, my family and the dogs.

We would have no choice other than to book two pet friendly cabins which are obviously charged at a massive premium.

Thats why I said

"But then we all have different needs, wants and requirements"

Pet Friendly cabins for 4 adults cost around £15 more than standard human only cabins.

With your family and pet requirements. You would need 2 x 4 berth pet friendly cabins. So 8 berths taken - hence high costs.

I just wanted to give an opposing view. This way, not everyone will see a negative side to the Spanish sea routes.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
This way, not everyone will see a negative side to the Spanish sea routes.

I wasn't intending to be negative and I apologise if that's how it came across. I also wasn't generalising about the Spanish routes.

I was answering a specific question from @iandsm about pet friendly cabins. I'm sure if you aren't travelling with animals then it's probably a viable option. Time wise, if you're limited, it's probably the better option but either way those pet cabins are bloody expensive.

Jan 22, 2013
London SE
Funster No
MH
A class Adria vision I707
Exp
since 1971
I assume
I wasn't intending to be negative and I apologise if that's how it came across. I also wasn't generalising about the Spanish routes.

I was answering a specific question from @iandsm about pet friendly cabins. I'm sure if you aren't travelling with animals then it's probably a viable option. Time wise, if you're limited, it's probably the better option but either way those pet cabins are bloody expensive.

I assume that a pet friendly cabin would be more expensive because of the increase cleaning costs per trip!
I am not a animal hater but I wouldn't like a cabin that has had a pet sleeping on the soft furnishings without a thorough cleaning,

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
I like taking the Pont Aven to Santander in a commodore cabin.

I refuse to go that route in any other ship or cabin.

It's very expensive but it's a tedious journey as it is without a crappy boat and tiny cabin.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back