LIFE MEMBER
Oct 12, 2009
southend on sea essex
Funster No
MH
Merc high top
Exp
20 years
Seen this one....They did a wrap instead of a spray. Don't look to close, I can see it flapping loose anytime soon. :whistle:

OP
OP
houdini
Oct 20, 2014
Hampshire
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral 680 SL
Exp
Since 2014
Not cheap at £1,000 either!

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

nelly

Free Member
Aug 5, 2009
Sutton on Sea
Funster No
MH
Rapido 8090DF A Class
Exp
Since 2002
This van caught fire later on and was scrapped 2009 i think
Neil

OP
OP
houdini
Oct 20, 2014
Hampshire
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral 680 SL
Exp
Since 2014
Hadn't realised the programme was so old.
I'm not very mechsnically minded but I have found this series quite entertaining. The 'front' guy is a bit irritating but Edd seems to know what he is doing and shows/explains how to do it reasonably clearly. Think I could have learnt car mechanics with him!

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Seen this one....They did a wrap instead of a spray. Don't look to close, I can see it flapping loose anytime soon. :whistle:

Had a couple of motors wrapped.. Never had anything come off at all :)
Here is one I did earlier !
DSCN1069.JPG
DSCN1068.JPG

I was watching the program last night.. they were doing an 8 series BMW.. Supposedly on a tight budget

A hole was found in a pipe attached to the autobox cooling rad.. instead of repairing it a replacement rad was bought.. Why ??
The cooling fan had partially seized.. a replacement was bought instead of fixing it.. Why ??

I have no doubt at all Ed China is a very good mechanic indeed, so am baffled at some of the inconsistencies oft seen on the program
It is primarily aimed at car folk, a good many of whom know their way around the tool box, so why the producers cannot stick to the plan ( so to speak ) baffles me and does make them look a bit daft sometimes !

magicsurfbus

Free Member
Oct 11, 2010
NW England
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1997
Had a couple of motors wrapped.. Never had anything come off at all..

Interesting - that's been recommended by our friendly local garage for the roof panel of our Berlingo, which is peeling for no apparent reason.

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
The glue used on modern automotive vinyls is amazing stuff !
I fully expected the 'teeth' on the wrap I had on the smartie to cause issues ( at they were smallish, and pointed and welll... you know :) ) , yet they were still firmly affixed 4 years later when I sold the car (y)

Jan 28, 2008
Dovercourt, Harwich, UK
Funster No
MH
Renalt burstner
Exp
7 years campers before that
always makes me laugh when they do the figures at the end of the show they make three hundred quid on the car but omit to pay ed and theres always a mate who lets them have a super rare leather interior for a tenner

Charlie

Free Member
May 16, 2015
Herefordshire / Worcestershire borders .
Funster No
MH
Auto Sleeper Kemerton.
Exp
Im a newbie
always makes me laugh when they do the figures at the end of the show they make three hundred quid on the car but omit to pay ed and theres always a mate who lets them have a super rare leather interior for a tenner

They also never factor in the many hours labour spent....

To be honest Ed makes me cringe... Yes he does know a thing or two but some of the bodges are really bad. They do a few jobs get the cars polished up and make out that the car will go on forever. Old cars just aint like that !

OP
OP
houdini
Oct 20, 2014
Hampshire
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral 680 SL
Exp
Since 2014
Had a couple of motors wrapped.. Never had anything come off at all :)
Here is one I did earlier !
View attachment 72389 View attachment 72390

I was watching the program last night.. they were doing an 8 series BMW.. Supposedly on a tight budget

A hole was found in a pipe attached to the autobox cooling rad.. instead of repairing it a replacement rad was bought.. Why ??
The cooling fan had partially seized.. a replacement was bought instead of fixing it.. Why ??

I have no doubt at all Ed China is a very good mechanic indeed, so am baffled at some of the inconsistencies oft seen on the program
It is primarily aimed at car folk, a good many of whom know their way around the tool box, so why the producers cannot stick to the plan ( so to speak ) baffles me and does make them look a bit daft sometimes !

I think if they repaired too much, they could be accused of bodging and @Charlie the car stands a better chance of lasting longer.

Have always bought cheap old cars and had very cheap motoring, none of them have ever owed me anything. My last Peugeot had done 204,000 miles when I sold it for £350, having paid £2,000 for it twelve years before. I was going to drive it in to the ground but in the end its many eccentric quirks became too annoying!

I'm not particularly interested in cars but have learnt a bit from watching the series and after all the producer's aim is to make it entertaining.

Agree with you @mitzimad, you just don't get those sort of deals in real life do you? ::bigsmile:

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Personally I would not consider replacing a bearing in a fan or indeed a hole in a feed pipe a bodge !!

Charlie

Free Member
May 16, 2015
Herefordshire / Worcestershire borders .
Funster No
MH
Auto Sleeper Kemerton.
Exp
Im a newbie
Personally I would not consider replacing a bearing in a fan or indeed a hole in a feed pipe a bodge !!
If that was aimed at me I said SOME of the bodges they do I was not being specific...
The programme is of course aimed at telly not real life. I mean have we ever seen a seized bolt or a stripped thread ? It's common knowledge every thing is rehearsed and cars are taken apart and re assembled ready for Ed to do it all over again.
I do watch cos I love cars and there is often nowt on better..

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back