Brittany Ferries - Economie Sailings (1 Viewer)

Aug 4, 2009
Saltdean, Brighton
Funster No
MH
Campervan
Exp
22 years
Has anyone used the Portsmouth to Bilbao/Santander Brittany Ferries Economie service. The ordinary sailings on the bigger boats to Bilbao for September are all full. All the over winterer's going over! I can go Santander but prefer Bilbao - Haro - Benicassim. The general facilities look much less but perfectly adequate and the boat smaller. Cabins look ok. Maybe a bit rougher if conditions are bad. Looking for a Funster who has had first-hand experience using the Economies service. Thank you in anticipation!

Flamenca

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 21, 2013
Europe
Funster No
MH
Hymer 564
Exp
Since 2010
I have used the Economie service from Santander but made the mistake of choosing a reclining seat rather than a cabin. The reclining seats were in an area which was not shut off from the bar by full height partitions so very noisy from the late night revellers. If I use the service again I will definitely book a cabin. I will probably drive up through France rather than using the service again.

Sep 26, 2013
Market Rasen
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2003
I think that it''s okay until it''s your turn to man the oars. Too small a boat for me and have booked on the Pont Aven

Mike

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

bhs

Free Member
Apr 16, 2015
Louth
Funster No
MH
b class
Exp
since 2006
Was great for me, had a cabin which was on the same deck as the car, boarding ticket worked the door, dog was allowed in cabin, all clean and tidy, loads better than the LD lines ship that it has effectively replaced on this Portsmouth - Le Havre crossing

bhs

Free Member
Apr 16, 2015
Louth
Funster No
MH
b class
Exp
since 2006
Not finished doh, I agree the Santander route needs the biggest boat you can get, found that crossing very seasick making, but apart from that the facilities were fine, is this an ex DFDS/LD lines ship do you know,, Brittany seem to be taking over a number of routes

Dec 30, 2008
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
since Dec 2008 after 10 years caravanning
Done Santander & Bilbao many times without problems, but done the economy once and its the only time ive ever been sick, good job we had a cabin as we never left it for 11 hours.

Eric

Feb 29, 2012
Reading & Surgeres France.
Funster No
MH
Hymer 584
Exp
Motor homing since 1998.
We came back from Santander at the end of January, boat & facilities were good but glad we had a cabin as weather was a bit rocky. Take a pill or two & sleep ! we did.
Have not crossed there before with Brittany so can't compare the different boats.
Cost wise very good.
Barrie.

Nov 13, 2013
cornwall
Funster No
MH
autocruise
Exp
3 years and not long enough
Hi,
We went on the economie service last November from Portsmouth to Santander. The ship was basic but clean. No carpets on the floors in the cabins but you still get the en-suite shower/toilet. There is a café and a bar which was busy before we set sail. When it started to get choppy we went off to our cabin and spent most of our time in bed snoozing. Took a travel kettle with us so we could have hot drinks in our cabin and a cool bag with various eats and drinks so we didn't need to surface from our cabin for the whole journey. We have booked the economie service again this year for November from Portsmouth to Santander, but I do believe that it is a different ship this year. As it was so popular last year, BF have put on more sailings. Definitely do not book a reclining seat, they looked uncomfortable and I really felt sorry for the people using them. When you get back to your vehicle before coming off the boat, make sure all the chocks have been taken away from your wheels.
Hope all this is of some use to you and that you enjoy whichever crossing you make.
Ruth

Portland

Free Member
Oct 31, 2013
Conwy
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
20 years
Was great for me, had a cabin which was on the same deck as the car, boarding ticket worked the door, dog was allowed in cabin, all clean and tidy, loads better than the LD lines ship that it has effectively replaced on this Portsmouth - Le Havre crossing
Well that's certainly put the stopper on me using it!! I prefer sleeping in a cabin not a kennel!!:eek::eek::eek::eek:

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
since 2007.Tugger before since 1970
Well that's certainly put the stopper on me using it!! I prefer sleeping in a cabin not a kennel!!:eek::eek::eek::eek:

You won't get a cabin that has had a dog in it if you don't have a dog. only a limited amount of cabins are allocated to dogs and they are booked early. Used Economy and it was fine...BUSBY.

Jul 18, 2009
Manchester UK + Javea/Xabia Spain + Abu Dhabi
Funster No
MH
HYMER B644
Exp
As a fairly regular traveler on these routes and the old POB. I have never yet used the "economie" versions. We travel by Car, Minibus or Motorhome.

I have just been through some quotes for October, November, December and January. As a Club De Voyage member, most of the crossings only come out at most £25 or so more expensive for the Pont Aven or Cap Finsitere vessels. When I say crossings, I mean the actual passage fees. Cabins and seats vary so much in price. Yes, nice to have a commodore cabin (not on Cap Finistere as if you suffer sea sickness, you will be in for a bad time).

If you are a member and 4 of your crossing, a cabins works out better if you are a `CDV member as you get a breakfast allowance of £7.90 each. You do not get this with 4 seats @ around £10 a pop.

I too prefer Bilbao for convenience (Javea/Play Montroig) trips mainly.

If you have the time to get to Spain, Via France and Belgium (Hull-Zeebrugge). Stena Harwich - hook of Holland or the good old Dover - Calais / Eurotunnel routes. Thats is fine. But in many cases, the cost of the BF Spanish routes is often equally as expensive if not cheaper and easier.

But then, I don't get sea sick and Mrs. TM only gets it beyond Force 7/8

TM

Oct 26, 2014
Dumfries and Galloway
Funster No
MH
Pilote P696GJ
Exp
nothing wrong with the economy boat , we used it last October the MV Etretat and the cabin was clean and was carpeted and the on suite shower and toilet clean .
The twin single beds were also very comfortable

sdc77

Free Member
Jan 28, 2013
Weardale, Co Durham
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
since 2011
Done Santander & Bilbao many times without problems, but done the economy once and its the only time ive ever been sick, good job we had a cabin as we never left it for 11 hours.

Eric
Sounds terrible tbh and no fun at all. I assume the prices are also eye watering?

Jul 18, 2009
Manchester UK + Javea/Xabia Spain + Abu Dhabi
Funster No
MH
HYMER B644
Exp
I meant to add.....

The latest vessel added to the economie is Baie De Somme (From the DFDS Denmark route) . But if you want a nice cabin. The limited commodore are around £200 a trip. So you may as well go on CF or PA and get a standard cabin

Last edited:

rolandrat

Free Member
Jan 5, 2013
Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Hi Top
Exp
We haven't found a problem with Economie sailings to Santander or on the return back to Portsmouth. The internal layout seems to be more suitable than the so called cruise ships. OK the ships are smaller in length and maybe prone to a little more rolling about in heavy seas, perhaps the stabilizers aren't as good either. One point to mention about the larger cruise ships is this, if you are unlucky and are directed to park at the open stern part of the ship you will be directly below the ships engine exhaust funnels. When you dock and return to your motorhome you will most likely notice that it will be covered in a thick black layer of soot. My advice would be not to move it until the docking officer has told a seaman to blast it off with a hose pipe using fresh water. Unfortunately there was still some left on the motorhome roof. They were very good about it as it's a regular occurrence so we were told.

DanielFord

Free Member
Jun 1, 2013
Funster No
I think that it''s okay until it''s your turn to man the oars. Too small a boat for me and have booked on the Pont Aven

Mike
My sentiments exactly, we love the Pont Aven, especially when we manage to get a commodore cabin (which we have for next year :) )

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back