Oct 16, 2013
Essex
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
I'm a newbie
Hi all,

So far we have stuck to main roads mainly in the south of England and have had very few problems with narrow country lanes.

We decided we want to visit the lake district in October. My other half is unable to walk too far so we thought we would hopefully find some nice road routes that still offer the same sort of scenery that you would get from some of the walks.

However on searching the internet for some good routes we have started reading horror stories about narrow, winding, steep roads that are not suitable for MH's.

Is this true? We are not small like a camper van or overly large like an RV but a mid size which is a Fiat Ducato IH Conversion, do you think we will be ok?

Someone said that there is sometimes only room for two small cars to pass and I wonder if we are wasting our time going if it is going to be really stressful.

Any advice from people who have motorhomes in the Lake District would be very helpful as I am now nervous about going.

Many thanks. funsters.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Just avoid wynrose & hardknock passes and you will be OK, delivery lorries and dust carts manage to get round.
Can get a bit tight if a van comes the other way on a narrow road a bit frightening with the stone walls, just pull your door mirrors in & breath in works for us.
Been down roads in Ireland where both doof mirrors have been in the hedge on each side just prayed (and I'm not religious ) nothing came the other way.
In all honesty commercial drivers know the width of their vehicles quite well, women who can't reverse are your worst nightmare but you are in the bigger vehicle so just stand your ground and intimidate them into reversing to let you through.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Tecnikal

Tecnikal

Free Member
Oct 16, 2013
Essex
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
I'm a newbie
Thanks. Will make a note of wynrose & hard knock and make sure none of our route goes through there.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0
Jan 25, 2013
Dorchester, Dorset, UK
Funster No
MH
Sad former owner
Exp
Since 1991
Thanks. Will make a note of wynrose & hard knock and make sure none of our route goes through there.

I think it is Wrynose and Hardnott Pass respectively and no, I wouldn't want to drive my MH up them although many years ago I did them in a 3 speed Renault 4 - just!

I had a week in the Lakes in my MH this summer keeping to scenic main roads and had no troubles at all and I was towing a trailer. Give it a go, you'll not regret it.

Upvote 0

irnbru

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 27, 2013
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Benimar 264
Exp
11 yrs
women who can't reverse are your worst nightmare but you are in the bigger vehicle so just stand your ground and intimidate them into reversing to let you through.

And what about the men that cant reverse. Some women are very good drivers. If I met you on a lane then theres no way Id be backing up for you unless it was easier. Pig headedness will get you nowhere.

On most roads a little care and common sense gets you there .

Upvote 0

PP Bear

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 5, 2013
Kent, UK
Funster No
MH
Auto Trail Dakota SE
Exp
Just avoid wynrose & hardknock passes and you will be OK, delivery lorries and dust carts manage to get round.
Can get a bit tight if a van comes the other way on a narrow road a bit frightening with the stone walls, just pull your door mirrors in & breath in works for us.
Been down roads in Ireland where both doof mirrors have been in the hedge on each side just prayed (and I'm not religious ) nothing came the other way.
In all honesty commercial drivers know the width of their vehicles quite well, women who can't reverse are your worst nightmare but you are in the bigger vehicle so just stand your ground and intimidate them into reversing to let you through.
Haha Lenny, I knew this would get you in trouble.....brave man :lipssealed:

Upvote 0
Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years
I have been over wynrose & hard knock in a camper but it is not for the faint hearted. As said before the roads are ok but most have stone walls either side which are not forgiving if you touch them but coaches and lorries manage ok.

Upvote 0

Southdowners

Free Member
May 7, 2015
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Concorde Charisma
Exp
Since May 2015

You're an extremely arrogant person!

Apart from your ridiculous assumption that women can't drive... why do you feel the need to intimidate another driver into reversing.... or could it be that you aren't able to!!

I hope never to meet you on the road.

Upvote 0

Southdowners

Free Member
May 7, 2015
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Concorde Charisma
Exp
Since May 2015
(Grabs popcorn and protective glasses
. Sits back and watches)

I know I should laugh off the arrogant one's comments but, as a woman, I get really fed up with that type of attitude.

I can just imagine (because I've encountered it myself first hand) what it would be like to meet him on a narrow road. In my own experience such folk often take a perverse delight in making the situation even more difficult.

By the way Lenny, I'm a capable driver, held a licence for 42 years and in that time have driven horseboxes, flatbed trucks, trailers, tractors, our 7.6 metre MH and my car is large and fast .... and..... incredible though it sounds...... I do actually reverse sometimes!

Upvote 0

JeanLuc

Free Member
Nov 17, 2008
Warwickshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer B630 Star-Line
Exp
Since 2007
Tecnikal - go to the Lake District and enjoy it - there are plenty of decent roads and you will be fine so long as you take your time and don't let any other drivers fluster you.

For those who think there is some sexual variation in driving ability and without wishing to pour any petrol on a smouldering fire, here is an entertaining book that attempts to explain some generalised differences from a base of physiological evidence. There are differences (thank goodness) and men are lacking in many vital skills.
http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/0752846191/?tag=mhf04-21

Upvote 0

Derbyshire wanderer

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 30, 2014
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
15 years
You will find that most of the lakes is perfectly accessible with your motorhome.
If you are unsure about some of the route, use google maps street view to decide if it is suitable for you.
As said above, the real risk is scraping the side on the rocky walls that are on some roads but just do as the coaches do and move out a bit if nothing is coming from the other way and stop if required till oncoming traffic passes.
Mainly just remember that you are not in London, the vast majority will not worry that you may hold them up for a few seconds so don't stress about going at your pace.

Upvote 0
Jan 10, 2013
Near Uttoxeter and Crete
Funster No
MH
Warwick XL PVC
Exp
Still trucking and learning
Tecnikal - go to the Lake District and enjoy it - there are plenty of decent roads and you will be fine so long as you take your time and don't let any other drivers fluster you.

For those who think there is some sexual variation in driving ability and without wishing to pour any petrol on a smouldering fire, here is an entertaining book that attempts to explain some generalised differences from a base of physiological evidence. There are differences (thank goodness) and men are lacking in many vital skills.
http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/0752846191/?tag=mhf04-21
Brilliant - you've just solved the problem of what to buy for my husbands birthday!!!!

Upvote 0
Aug 4, 2013
Oop North
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
We take most notice of road signs restricting vehicle length / weight. They are a good indication of trouble ahead and we avoid those roads whenever possible. If a sign says restriction 7.5 tons or more we know we should be fine. 3.5 tons will be tricky so we will try not to go. There are plenty of lovely places to go in the lakes whilst avoiding the small roads.

Upvote 0

mike mcglynn

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jan 6, 2008
St. Helens MERSEYSIDE
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Warwick XL
Exp
A long time now
Hello,I found the kirkstone pass quite a challenge as it was also bin collection day and made for an interesting drive and Tinas nerves were on edge for the whole time we were on the pass although I was relieved when open country came into sight .

Upvote 0

MikeandCarolyn

Free Member
Mar 18, 2008
Worle,North Somerset
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2009
My only reservation about The Lakes is that it has become too commercial with coachloads of 'Grockles' all over the place-much like Les Plus Beau Villages in France.:eek:

Upvote 0

parknride

Free Member
Jan 21, 2014
cumbria
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
since 1988
Honister pass and route from cockermouth to Buttermere gets a bit tight in places. However, the brewery lorries and dustbin lorries get round so its do-able with care and well worth seeing. Also there are "mountain goat" bus services to get you around these places. The campsites are full to bursting with camper vans and caravans, come and drink it in. October can be beautiful with the changing colours.

Upvote 0

Rob and Val

Free Member
Oct 17, 2010
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Talbot Compass Calypso
Exp
Since July 2010
@Tecnikal, would it be worth you spending around £40 on a Chinese Sat Nav for truckers, like this one: -
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/7-8GB-Tru...N-EU-UK-HGV-/110941145517?hash=item19d49b89ad
Others on this site have said that they are very good. You can program them with the dimensions of your motorhome and then not worry about narrow roads as the Sat Nav will only take you down roads suitable for the size of your motorhome.

Upvote 0

parknride

Free Member
Jan 21, 2014
cumbria
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
since 1988
if the satnag says you can fit down the road, don't you still get problems with oncoming traffic?

Upvote 0

mariner

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 21, 2013
Isle of Dogs, but mostly Artola Spain.
Funster No
MH
Caravan
Exp
Since 2007. But no more.
My only reservation about The Lakes is that it has become too commercial with coachloads of 'Grockles' all over the place-much like Les Plus Beau Villages in France.:eek:

Are you not also a Grockle when there?

:cooler:

Upvote 0
Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
I wouldn't go in too far if you are concerned, I took my 8m MH too far in to a prebooked site, no mention on the details that the road in to the site has a 6' width limit (and for good reason) definitely not for the faint hearted

The biggest problem as ever is white van man, closely followed by coaches, they being the larger vehicle (coaches that is) will expect you to back up, even the A roads have some tight passing points

Keep on going to Scotland, similar scenery in SW Scotland and a fraction of the people :)(y)

Upvote 0

parknride

Free Member
Jan 21, 2014
cumbria
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
since 1988
I'm not playing that game. I used to drive to Buttermere everyday to work, it was worth it for the fantastic scenery. Seen some feckless drivers of both sexes and all ages. @pandj :sick:

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back