Help with a police problem (1 Viewer)

Aug 19, 2010
trawden lancs
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Hi from John
Joyce wants me to point out that it was not her, a few weeks ago I passed a speed camera unusual for me I was not speeding so they have sent joy a letter asking her to identify the driver who was
" alleged to have committed the following Drive on a road a motor vehicle whilst not wearing a seat belt"
This is complete and utter tosh I have worn one ever since they were fitted it was a wet day I would have been wearing dark rain coat I wear the seat belt low on the shoulder and I hate bing bong's in the car I. E. the belt alarm are they insinuating that I am deaf E Wat I never heard it lol.
The help required is there any appeal, can I request a photograph/evidence or is it a money making scam
Thanks John

Emmit

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 14, 2009
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Pilote Explorateur
Exp
Jan.2014
I take it that Joy/Joyce is the registered keeper of the vehicle in question.
Regardless of what is alleged to have/have not taken place, it is imperative that she supplies the information that has been requested.
For her not to do so would mean that she herself would be committing an offence. (regardless as to whether an offence was or was not being committed by the driver at that time).
Just fill out the form and await further information.

The above information of course is correct assuming that the letter you have received is from an official source.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Allanm

Free Member
Jun 30, 2013
Cotes d'armor, France
Funster No
MH
Burstner Harmony TI 736 G
Exp
Since 1987
Some cameras have been able to detect no seat belts and mobile phone use, since 2010. The image should be available for you to view. You need to write to whoever you got the ticket from, stating your case and asking to see their evidence.

golly

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 16, 2009
Land of the Prince Bishops
Funster No
MH
HYMERCAR PVC
Exp
since August 2009
I was caught by a camera years ago while test driving a car, the garage gave them my name, I requested to see the photo, no problem, unfortunately it was me driving, no mistaking the shine on my bald head :LOL:. so yes as far as I know you can request to see the evidence.

irnbru

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 27, 2013
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Benimar 264
Exp
11 yrs
Are you sure the letter received is legal and not a scam by some company that has access to the database. Drive on a road doesn't sound right to me...Just a thought .
Hope you get it sorted.

Emmit

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 14, 2009
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Pilote Explorateur
Exp
Jan.2014
Allan and Sally,

The hoots aren't at that stage yet.
Where they are at has nothing to do in effect with the offence that is being alleged. All they should do at the moment is answer the question" Who was driving" If they are unsure, they should say so but Mr Hoot has already told us that it wasn't Mrs Hoot so the answer is clear.
No one is admitting any offence as yet. The opportunity to ask for evidence of the actual/suspected offence will come later.

sdc77

Free Member
Jan 28, 2013
Weardale, Co Durham
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
since 2011
Some cameras have been able to detect no seat belts and mobile phone use, since 2010. The image should be available for you to view. You need to write to whoever you got the ticket from, stating your case and asking to see their evidence.
I was under the impression these were mobile cameras and not speed cameras. .. As advised the op should reply to the lawful request re driver details. Once you see the picture you may be in a better position to decide how to proceed.

GWAYGWAY

Free Member
Sep 6, 2014
Dover
Funster No
MH
Hymer ML I 580
Exp
4 years
Big Brother needs to be answered as that is an offence anyway. Get the photo and check what it was and also the clarity. If it is anything like the usual CCTV footage released at crime scenes, you will not be able to see who it was let alone if a seatbelt was worn.

Derbyshire wanderer

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 30, 2014
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
15 years
I was caught by a camera years ago while test driving a car, the garage gave them my name, I requested to see the photo, no problem, unfortunately it was me driving, no mistaking the shine on my bald head :LOL:. so yes as far as I know you can request to see the evidence.
I had exactly the same happen to me as I was clocked on a job for the vehicle but I knew I had not used the road. When I asked for the photo, it showed the reflection of the clouds on the windscreen.
Visit from the Police at work for a chat and he agreed that the photo did not incriminate me. Never did find out who did it thou.
As above, you must disclose who the driver is and then it is sent to them to admit or deny whatever is alleged.

peter marshall

Free Member
Mar 5, 2009
Cleveleys,Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Low Line
Exp
9 Years
Hi
A couple of years ago we sold Lynn's Smart Car, in December to a dealer, On the 4th Jan we went to Spain the car was caught on a fixed camera, rear of the car very clear, but dated while we were in Spain, it took ages letters and calls to sort it out even though we had a proof from Swansea to confirm Lynn no longer owned the Vehicle, it even went to court but was stopped then, for your prob it must have been a front on camera to query a seat belt has others have stated get a photo, Lynn's original letter had a photo on it. Pete

Bobby22

Free Member
Dec 15, 2013
Scotland
Funster No
MH
Rapido 680ff
Exp
since 2013
I agree with sallylillian, ask to see the photo as you are not certain who was driving . Joyce says not her, you say never you.

If there is doubt then as to who was driving, see the photograph......check who , and also if an offence has been commited.

It is not an offence to be unsure as to who was driving at a particular time.

You may have to agree who was driving before the let you see the photo.

Last edited:

Deleted User
Don't shoot the messenger here but according to the cops you have no right to disclosure of evidence (the photo) until the summons has been issued and if you don't know who was driving then that's another offence.

Q. Will photographic evidence identify the driver?

The photograph may be used as evidence in court to show that the speeding offence was committed by the vehicle concerned but is not used for personal identification purposes. We can supply a photograph on request (ctoevidencerequest@herts.pnn.police.uk), although there is normally no entitlement to advance disclosure of evidence. If the matter results in court proceedings (whether by request or police prosecution) the defendant or a legal representative may make representations to the Crown Prosecution Service for any relevant items once a summons has been issued.

Q. What happens if I don't know who was driving the vehicle?

You are required in Law to respond to the Notice of Intended Prosecution within 28 days of the service of the notice providing the full details of the driver and signing the form. If you are unable to provide these details, do not respond or fail to complete the form fully you may be prosecuted for the additional offence of failing to provide the required information. This offence carries a maximum fine of up to £1000, 6 penalty point driving licence endorsement and/or disqualification from driving.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
As above

You are only entitle to request evidence once the offense has been accepted by you, this doesn't mean accepting guilt only accepting the charge.

sallylillian

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 29, 2011
Falmouth, Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Palace Liner 90LO
Exp
Going back to my earlier post; Whoever is the listed "keeper" will get the charge if no other driver has been disclosed. At the same time it is perjury to accept points on behalf of another, as per recent high profile court cases, such as the Huhnes. So with that in mind if you are unsure, to disclose this and express concern for committing perjury therefore could they please supply the photographic evidence would, I suspect, be a supported position in front of a magistrate. Of course photos of speeders from behind are not much use. And then the keeper get the ticket if no other is disclosed.

sdc77

Free Member
Jan 28, 2013
Weardale, Co Durham
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
since 2011
Op .. there's plenty of advice for you but please bear in mind the legal side of providing driver details and that not doing so may make the registered keeper liable. You are not legally entitled to a copy of the picture in order to disclose driver details and it's important you make a timely decision on what course of action you intend to take. Good luck

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
Any appeal should not use the OP's avatar - unless they want to try and claim that is Ribena! :)

But I would add are you sure the alleged offence was committed near the speed camera - does the letter say so? If not the only evidence may be a statement from a police officer perhaps on foot.

Deleted User
Don't shoot the messenger here but according to the cops you have no right to disclosure of evidence (the photo) until the summons has been issued and if you don't know who was driving then that's another offence.

Q. What happens if I don't know who was driving the vehicle?

You are required in Law to respond to the Notice of Intended Prosecution within 28 days of the service of the notice providing the full details of the driver and signing the form. If you are unable to provide these details, do not respond or fail to complete the form fully you may be prosecuted for the additional offence of failing to provide the required information. This offence carries a maximum fine of up to £1000, 6 penalty point driving licence endorsement and/or disqualification from driving.

Except of course if you are a police officer some of whom got away with this a few years ago(n)

DanielFord

Free Member
Jun 1, 2013
Funster No
As others have said, you MUST identify the driver, failing to do so is an offence, even if it turns out that no original offence occurred! There is a proviso, the form that will be sent out is an official form and has a document reference number pertaining to a section of the road traffic act. This will be present, if it is not, then this is not an official document and should be reported to the police.
I'd be interested to know if this is the case?

dabhand

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 19, 2014
Staffs
Funster No
MH
Concorde carver E35
Exp
Since 1993
It is perfectly legitimate to ask for the photo in order to identity the driver and not commit an offence by responding to the NIP when you are unsure who the driver was! Never ever been refused this!
Furthermore I believe that a case which was brought against me a number of years ago was chiefly responsible for having the wording changed on the NIP. The case was thrown out by the magistrates and I was awarded costs because I had a multi user policy and could not say who was driving the vehicle, neither could they as the photo wasnt clear.

Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
some years ago about 10, (so may not still apply) 'we' got caught in a mobile cash trap. the letter came unrecorded, so on the advice of a family police officer we ignored it, about 30 days later they wrote again with exactly the same, claim of photographic evidence of in this case a speeding offence

On advice I waited another 30 days and wrote back saying we had been away but this letter was the first we heard of the 'offence', the first letter never having arrived ;)

As it was now so long ago could they please provide photographic evidence as they said they had as we could not recall who was driving at that time being over 60 days ago

They sent their proof, I replied after another 30days to say we still could not tell who was driving, luckily there were three of us in the car at the time, suggesting they chose which of it might have been

I had been told at that time (2005), that a summons has to be issued inside 6 months, they (DCC) can not make the decision about who was driving )despite expecting us to decide) and never wrote back (y)

not sure if this helps you John, but it highlights an issue I worry about sometimes, a poster on here some months ago was stopped because a policeman said his passenger was walking around in their MH, as it turned out he had no passenger at that time, but how would he have proved they weren't walking to the loo if he had one

For that matter what is different about using the loo on a National Express coach or our MH's

Bit of a thread hijack here maybe, my apologies

dabhand

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 19, 2014
Staffs
Funster No
MH
Concorde carver E35
Exp
Since 1993
And in any event providing it is not a vexatious request, you are entitled to make a subject access request regarding the camera and its history, google that and prepare to read John me old Rootin tootin traffic flootin mate!

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back