Free Member
Jan 26, 2009
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
A cls
Exp
9 years
Cornwall Council anounced today that they are opening 11 new sites for travellers.

Would you or have you ever stayed at one?.............after all we ARE travellers.

I visited one a few months ago to check for radon and my oh my, toilet blocks were smashed, baths taken out and rubbish everywhere................don't think I would risk it :Eeek:

Boo

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Cornwall Council anounced today that they are opening 11 new sites for travellers.

Would you or have you ever stayed at one?.............after all we ARE travellers.

I visited one a few months ago to check for radon and my oh my, toilet blocks were smashed, baths taken out and rubbish everywhere................don't think I would risk it :Eeek:

Boo

sounds par for the course Boo....bet the roads are well tarmaced though..:ROFLMAO:

OP
OP
Boo

Boo

Free Member
Jan 26, 2009
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
A cls
Exp
9 years
sounds par for the course Boo....bet the roads are well tarmaced though..:ROFLMAO:

Or not if they have done it :winky:...................Proper job sir :thumb:

Boo

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

zaskar

Free Member
Sep 25, 2007
UK
Funster No
MH
5th Wheel
Exp
30+
.............after all we ARE travellers.
Boo

You might want to call yourself that but please dont give me that label.:Angry:
..........and i would respectfully sugest that you dont call yourself that within the earshot of the authorities or I guarantee you'll be given short shift!

Oct 14, 2007
Rochester
Funster No
MH
Auto-Trail Mohawk
Exp
16 fun filled years

Boo
I got to ask, why was you checking for Radon in a Itinerant site?

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
I wonder if they would mind me bringing along my shopping trolley and bicycle frame collection. :Smile: As its a council involved I am sure there will be a safe place for me to light a fire so that I can burn the plastic from the pick-up loads of wire I will have delivered.

Sounds great, can you find out about the costs involved, exactly how much will they pay me while I stay there:RollEyes:

ruffingitsmoothly

Deceased RIP
Jan 2, 2008
West of Southampton edge
Funster No
MH
A Class RV
Exp
..........and i would respectfully sugest that you dont call yourself that within the earshot of the authorities or I guarantee you'll be given short shift![/QUOTE]

Hi Zaskar I think that you will be given a lot more than that!!!

Freedom to rob the surrounding properties, to create a completely disgusting mess that costs us the ratepayer god knows how much to clear away, also what seems total immunity from any police action for fear of infringing their 'Human Right's' :Angry::Angry:

Link Removed

Regards Pat

zaskar

Free Member
Sep 25, 2007
UK
Funster No
MH
5th Wheel
Exp
30+
I pretty sure that Boo didn't mean to cause offence with his choice of words:thumb:, all I would say is just please be aware that Fulltimers are very sensistive to the use of this word, it gives the wrong impression about people who are pasionate about the countryside, care a great deal about it, simply want to lead life a different, more peacefull way...........AND MOST IMPORTANTLY are quite happy to abide by societies rules and are quite happy to pay our dues to society.:thumb:

johnsandywhite

Free Member
Jul 29, 2007
Doncaster/Spain
Funster No
MH
'A' Class RV &
Exp
I pretty sure that Boo didn't mean to cause offence with his choice of words:thumb:, all I would say is just please be aware that Fulltimers are very sensistive to the use of this word, it gives the wrong impression about people who are pasionate about the countryside, care a great deal about it, simply want to lead life a different, more peacefull way...........AND MOST IMPORTANTLY are quite happy to abide by societies rules and are quite happy to pay our dues to society.:thumb:

:thumb: My views exactly. When we were parked outside our house in the UK, the COUNCIL wanted us to move onto one of THOSE sites. No way Jose. :Blush::Eeek:

B

BuzzLand

Deleted User
I was hoping to see some positive things from folks on here about gypsies in general and maybe hear a tale or two about a safe encampment where they aren't like that and welcome in fellow 'travellers' alas it seems not.

I know they have a bad rep. but are their two sides to this?

I'll give you my thoughts and stories:

When I suggested to my friend about using a Romany/traveller encampment for when I got part/full time he saged that it would be foolhardy to do so.

The problem is that to be Romany you have to be born into their tribe or be on very good terms with them to be 'accepted'. Otherwise you are an outsider aka a 'joss-skin', a person who is a town/city dweller.
So a person who suddenly rolls into their area could be obliged to 'share' out your stuff with the rest of them. Their fortes include:
Brawling, scrap metal dealing, trading, demolitions/construction industry (this is where I met 2 Romany folk, one good one bad) and petty crime (although to them this probably isn't criminal its survival).
Some say craftwork and blacksmithing is or was a forte but whether they do this now is questionable.

Of course I've heard all the negative stories, but perhaps if any are out there they'd like to give their thoughts on this interesting matter.

Elvis

Free Member
Jun 13, 2009
London
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
Since Nov 2008
Nah!

..........and i would respectfully sugest that you dont call yourself that within the earshot of the authorities or I guarantee you'll be given short shift!

No! You will be given free health, dental care, a house (if you want it) dole money, free education for your kids and plenty of free legal aid (which, if you live thet life style, you will need!), and you will never have to work and pay tax for as long as you live :ROFLMAO:

Elvis

Free Member
Jun 13, 2009
London
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
Since Nov 2008
what really gets me!

Boo

What really winds me up though ... is where are the 11 sites for us law abiding, tax paying MH owners then !!!:Angry:

jhorsf

Free Member
May 15, 2009
DERBYSHIRE
Funster No
MH
ih oregon
Exp
I was hoping to see some positive things from folks on here about gypsies in general and maybe hear a tale or two about a safe encampment where they aren't like that and welcome in fellow 'travellers' alas it seems not.

I know they have a bad rep. but are their two sides to this?

I'll give you my thoughts and stories:

When I suggested to my friend about using a Romany/traveller encampment for when I got part/full time he saged that it would be foolhardy to do so.

The problem is that to be Romany you have to be born into their tribe or be on very good terms with them to be 'accepted'. Otherwise you are an outsider aka a 'joss-skin', a person who is a town/city dweller.
So a person who suddenly rolls into their area could be obliged to 'share' out your stuff with the rest of them. Their fortes include:
Brawling, scrap metal dealing, trading, demolitions/construction industry (this is where I met 2 Romany folk, one good one bad) and petty crime (although to them this probably isn't criminal its survival).
Some say craftwork and blacksmithing is or was a forte but whether they do this now is questionable.

Of course I've heard all the negative stories, but perhaps if any are out there they'd like to give their thoughts on this interesting matter.

wow take that tongue OUT of your cheek planet earth to buzzland

Dec 23, 2007
Wirral
Funster No
MH
Hobby Van Kenobi
Exp
started when I was 11 with my parents-forgot to stop!been real one since 1980!
I think cornwall is doing us a favour,it keeps more Itinerants down there and away from the rest of the country-don't car much for pasties!!

OP
OP
Boo

Boo

Free Member
Jan 26, 2009
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
A cls
Exp
9 years
Well, I thought I would let this thread run for a few weeks to see your points and answer the points you have raised.

1. I got to ask, why was you checking for Radon in a Itinerant site?
A. Because cornwall is built on granit which emits radiation gas..........and we have a duty (the council) to monitor and apply mitigations where there is a risk to our fellow humans.

2. You don't like cornish pasties?
A. Cornwall prides itself on the the scenery, old ways of life, beaches and the fact that more people visit here than anywhere else in the country.
The pasty was created in wales and have spread all over the world (ie. somosa ect) and the traditional cornish pasty can be found as far as hongkong and cyprus, the national cornish pasty making competition was won this year by a devon company :winky:
And as far as lots of Itinerant's being here...........the most Itinerant, romany or traveller place in the country IS Morecambe :p

3. You might want to call yourself that but please dont give me that label.
A. So as a full time traveller who has no perminent address............ what would you call yourself? posh traveller? posh Itinerant?
Which ever way you look at it your one of them and are entitled to everything they are.............and you prob have "dags" too :ROFLMAO:

4.I pretty sure that Boo didn't mean to cause offence with his choice of words:thumb:, all I would say is just please be aware that Fulltimers are very sensistive to the use of this word.
A. I call a spade a spade dudes, like it or lump it as I'm not on here to sugarcoat anything for anyone. if you was offended by anything I have said past, present or future then you really need to get out of your Itinerant vans more hehe!
I've lived too long and seen too many things in my life to be offended or even give a flying f*** what anyone says or thinks about me or anything else in the world..........they are entitled to THEIR own opinions and will not effect my life 1 bit.::bigsmile:

My friends find it funny to call me a Itinerant and to be honest I find it funny too.........tarmac you driveway sir? :thumb:

Boo

theresa

Free Member
Mar 9, 2008
near falmouth cornwall
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
15 years
haveing been born down here in cornwall i can tell you now we dont want any more sites here . must say thou i do no a true gypsy family and they own the land they live on which is kept clean and very tidy also the van they live in is spotless. they have planing permission to live where they are . they helped me when my horse got hurt and now i have a freind for life . they also work for a living and not live on the dole . So please dont tar people with the same tar brush as the saying gos . there are good and bad in all walks of life . The people of cornwall are not all living in the past and walking around with a bit of straw in their mouth :Blush:

Wildman

Free Member
May 30, 2008
Ilfracombe, Devon
Funster No
MH
Amazon Ambassador
Exp
since 1967
[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zFCTv3ZWuCQ[/ame]
I'm a freeborn man of the travelling people, have no fixed abode with nomads I have wandered................ (song)
I don't care if you call me a traveller, what is derogative about that, I have horses, and dogs does that make me a Itinerant, a Itinerant, a Romany, new age traveller, old age traveller, whatever. Choosing another name "fulltime" does not stop you being an itinerant, of no fixed abode, a nomad. so get used to it. If you are offended then maybe you should move back into a house. In my years on the road I have met some fantastic travelling people, showmen and their families, tinkers gypsies, Itinerants, once they know where you are coming from you will not find a truer friend. Yes they are not so easy to get to know and yes some are untidy to say the least but they are not all like that. There are good and bad as in any society. By denigrating them you cause bad feeling amongst all of them the good, the bad, the Romany and the full-timers. So please keep you racist/separative comments to yourself and do not post them on a forum that is frequented by many of those very people.

Last edited:

Elvis

Free Member
Jun 13, 2009
London
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
Since Nov 2008
perspective now!

OK, lets get some perspective here please:

Firstly - Gypsies are Romanies, originating from Romania, it has been said that many hundreds of years ago they migrated from India and settled in Romania.

Itinerants (PC name travellers) originate from Irland not Eastern Europe (!) and have no connection with Romanies, other than they both live & travel in 'caravans'.Many arrived here after WII & in the 60s to find 'work' in the building trade, not to be confused with law abiding Irish imigrants of the time.

Both are from different races & have differnt cultures!

I have good and bad personal experience of both & mostly bad and mainly to do with crime. However, I have 'second generation' friends from both groups but they were all brought up in 'our society' i.e. houses,jobs and so on.

The fact remains that both are generally a drain on our public funds and do not contribute to the tax paying society but drain it instead - sorry but that's the truth, although it is true to say that this can be said of many groups in our society.

As for comparing 'us' with the above groups, well I guess we can be called travellers, if 'full timers' as this PC name invented in the 80s, was meant to cover the above groups & the groups of travelling new-age hippies of the time and I guess, anyone leading the nomadic life-style so who knows.

Elvis

Free Member
Jun 13, 2009
London
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
Since Nov 2008
indeed

haveing been born down here in cornwall i can tell you now we dont want any more sites here . must say thou i do no a true gypsy family and they own the land they live on which is kept clean and very tidy also the van they live in is spotless. they have planing permission to live where they are . they helped me when my horse got hurt and now i have a freind for life . they also work for a living and not live on the dole . So please dont tar people with the same tar brush as the saying gos . there are good and bad in all walks of life . The people of cornwall are not all living in the past and walking around with a bit of straw in their mouth :Blush:

Indeed Theresa - if they all behaved in the way your friend does, then we would not even be having this discussion, sadly most don't and we never get to hear about those that do but that is always the way, with all; MPs for example!! :Eeek:

B

BuzzLand

Deleted User
OK, lets get some perspective here please:

Firstly - Gypsies are Romanies, originating from Romania, it has been said that many hundreds of years ago they migrated from India and settled in Romania.

Itinerants (PC name travellers) originate from Irland not Eastern Europe (!) and have no connection with Romanies, other than they both live & travel in 'caravans'.Many arrived here after WII & in the 60s to find 'work' in the building trade, not to be confused with law abiding Irish imigrants of the time.

Both are from different races & have differnt cultures!

I have good and bad personal experience of both & mostly bad and mainly to do with crime. However, I have 'second generation' friends from both groups but they were all brought up in 'our society' i.e. houses,jobs and so on.

The fact remains that both are generally a drain on our public funds and do not contribute to the tax paying society but drain it instead - sorry but that's the truth, although it is true to say that this can be said of many groups in our society.

As for comparing 'us' with the above groups, well I guess we can be called travellers, if 'full timers' as this PC name invented in the 80s, was meant to cover the above groups & the groups of travelling new-age hippies of the time and I guess, anyone leading the nomadic life-style so who knows.

Good post.

I watched some youtube stuff and this was interesting:

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lB0_QEh-KVs]YouTube - King of the Gypsies (1995)[/ame]

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-GOR3C_3YUE&feature=related]YouTube - How do you feel about traveller camps?[/ame]

Detourer

Trader - Tour Operator
Jul 30, 2007
Spain and Morocco
Funster No
MH
4x4 OverLander
Exp
20+ years
On my recent visit to the UK I called on an old friend and was surprised to hear of her new job……”Gypsy Liaison Officer” or some such other lofty title…..for a London borough with just 3 traveller sites………She said 75% of her job was informing and helping to fill in various financial claim forms [as many could not, or made out, they could not read], getting kids into school, at which their attendance was very low and sorting out behaviour problems etc etc, attending court etc etc……

She is paid £32.000 + car [that has had to be changed twice already this year, twice last year, as it was attacked on-site]. For this she worked here own [short] hours etc etc……

I looked up how many “Gyps/travs/Pikes whatever” are in the UK and found that accourding to their own figures on www.travellerslaw.co.uk there are about 90-120.000 but could be 200.000

Let’s say for these there are 50+ [probably much more] such employed persons around the UK on about the same wage……..

I also see there are 150.000 registered motorhomes in the UK so lets average to 300.000 persons……..

How many full time reps looking after YOUR interests do you think we/you have?

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
i live in cornwall and see no reason to stop traveller sites around here . i for one am actively looking for a small field somewhere quiet with good access. i would like a shed (large) or secure container. live on the land in summer disappear in winter. its very hard to get planning for this in uk. so like the rest will have to dodge authority on that one. cant see a prob. dig a cesspit. solar /genny for lecky. water is available to most land at a cost, or bouser it in. have a large letter box that could be the address for ins.etc . does that make me a Itinerant ,gypsey, traveller or just some one doing their own thing .having an expensive house is a bind but need a base for summer. lots are doing it but the authority doesnt like it nor does the locals . if you buy the land whats the problem. lots!!!!!

Detourer

Trader - Tour Operator
Jul 30, 2007
Spain and Morocco
Funster No
MH
4x4 OverLander
Exp
20+ years
...........and while you are away in the winter some nice "Itinerant ,gypsey, traveller or just some one doing their own thing" may just pop in and take care of it for you :ROFLMAO:

B

BuzzLand

Deleted User
...........and while you are away in the winter some nice "Itinerant ,gypsey, traveller or just some one doing their own thing" may just pop in and take care of it for you :ROFLMAO:

Or possibly they could be forced to move or choose to move on, leaving your gear behind.

Dec 23, 2007
Wirral
Funster No
MH
Hobby Van Kenobi
Exp
started when I was 11 with my parents-forgot to stop!been real one since 1980!
There are a number of theories for the origin of gypsies. Even before the Romanian connetcion many thoughts are that the originals are the remains of one of the lost tribes of Israel.
some irish tinker families have claimed originality because some of their children have been born with the Mongol Blue spot,which is a genetic link to the Asian origine.
This marking is well documented and is mainly prominent in females it gradually fades as they approach puberty. Whatever you call them a lot are skivers and crooks. using traveller as an excuse because the Irish are now classed as an ethnic minority and as such Everything is done for them.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back