Dangerous wheel wobble (1 Viewer)

Aug 9, 2008
Lanner - Cornwall
Funster No
MH
A Class RV
Exp
20 + Years
Hi everyone, I'm looking for a bit of help and a possible warning to others.

I dirve a 29foot REXHALL VISION based on the Ford 460 Chassis

I arrived home yesterday after spending the Weekend at ABBEY HILL Steam Fair at Yeovil.

My route includes the western end of the A303, as I thought I new this road i didn't have the Sat Nav on so the precise location is unknown. All I can say is that it was after the Hairpin bend which was preceeded by a 1/4 mile dual carriageway going up to the disused Filling Station which is about 10 miles from Honiton.

The road surface along this stretch to say the least is BAD, there are numerous shallow but wide potholes. Anyhow back to the incident . I was travelling about 30mph as I had just slowed down for a slow Carlesberg Delivery Lorry, outside the Derilect garage both front wheels hit the left-hand side of two seperate holes. Both wheels twitched to the right and then the steering proceeded to shake violently so much so I had to come to a complete stop to gain control.

A few yards futher on I was able to pull into a Lay-by, looking around the RV I couldn't find anything wrong with the steering, however two of my Belly Lockers had burst there catches due to the violent shaking, front left which housed my wifes Mobility chair and rear right which housed a heavy box.

The Question I want to ask is this, do you think I have a problem with the steering or do you think ( like Me ) that the hitting of two pot holes started a train reaction, it was similar to a Caravan snaking. I have been driving various sizes of vehicles over 44 years and this is the first time this has ever happened.

One thing I have decided though is to stop using the A303.

Cheers

Brian

45eEver

Free Member
Apr 15, 2009
Funster No
I suggest you get your steering and shocks checked.

Your chassis and running gear should handle bad roads without problem.
So it sounds like something mechanical at the front end to me.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
i would say, if it was ok after you stopped, it was a gyroscopic effect on the wheels.
same thing as a "tank slapper" on a motorbike.

sudden change of direction on a spinning wheel and it will twitch from side to side sometime violently.

as an example, silly one i know but, hold a bike wheel by the axle and spin it.....try to turn the wheel off its axis.....if it does then it will turn back the other way an equal amount and back again until it looses momentum.

john.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

pudseykeith

Free Member
Nov 5, 2007
Leeds West Riding of York
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
6 Years
As 45 e ever sugested have the steering checked. I don't know how bad the pot holes were, but could it have caused some damage to the side wall of a tyre , or caused separation of the tyre cords and or tread? Has a wheel come loose ? You need to check all possibilities.
Pudseykeith

Last edited:

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
As 45 e ever sugested have the steering checked. I don't know how bad the pot holes were, but could it have caused some damage to the side wall of a tyre , or caused separation of the tyre cords and or tread? Has a wheel come loose ? You need to check all possibilities.
Pudseykeith

agreed Keith, but it would still be doing it now if any damage had been caused....im only assuming it didnt do it anymore after setting off again..but i did state that in my post.:thumb:

old-mo

Funster
Extra Special
LIFE MEMBER
Oct 16, 2008
Weymouth. Dorset...
Funster No
MH
Nearly aint got one.
Exp
Caravan & motorhome 45 + yrs
Just my two penneth,, If you can get back and take some photo`s of the pot holes, especially the depth.

Then if you find that the potholes have caused some damage to your vehicle, you have every right to claim from the Council/County Council in which the potholes are..

But make sure you have photographic evidence of the bad surface to show them, because once you have complained or put in a claim they will hot foot it and patch them up,,
Without photo evidence they will deny any liability.

All councils by law have to have insurance to cover such issues,, the same for pedestrians and broken kerbs/paving stones etc, and tripping up and receiving injury`s to yourself..

If the public does not bring such issues and claims to the council,, then nothing will get done about the attrocious conditions our road are getting into. :thumb:

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
Hi Brian
exactly the same scenario happened on the M1 with my previous RV also a ford chassis caused by the lorry tram lines in the slow lane I was doing about 60 when this exact phenomenon set its self in motion
convinced both front wheels were falling off, a thorough check after a 40mph trip home found nothing wrong, the next few journey's were a trifle tense to say the least, it never repeated itself ever again:Eeek: its horrendous when it does happen, as im sure you will agree
Geo
PS respect for slowing down for the Carlesburg truck

Last edited:

45eEver

Free Member
Apr 15, 2009
Funster No
Ah, proper tramlines were notorious for that Geo.
What with narrow, and sometimes beaded edge tyres.

If you didn't lose control, you ended up at the terminus.

Especially on a bike.

OP
OP
MAUBRI
Aug 9, 2008
Lanner - Cornwall
Funster No
MH
A Class RV
Exp
20 + Years
Thanks to you ALL for your helpfull advice especialy GEO, your quite correct My wife especialy had an Angina attack but luckily I have all the medication required for such an incident. It didn't help that she had her eyes closed and had dosed off at the time.

I will also be checking the alignment of the track/wheels etc.

Brian

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back