weight (1 Viewer)

Apr 28, 2008
rayleigh, essex.
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2007
Had mote weighed and came out at 3480 kg with full tank of fuel half of water and 2 adults granddaughter and child seat, the veh reg document states 3900 gross, am I right in saying that we still have 400kg to spare.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Correct.

But check your individual axle weights, you can be under you gross but over on one axle.
In your case i doubt it will be an issue.

Deleted User
Not necessarily, check the VIN plate, reg docs have been known to be incorrect and the VIN plate is what the authorities will go off if weighed.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Flamenca

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 21, 2013
Europe
Funster No
MH
Hymer 564
Exp
Since 2010
Not necessarily, check the VIN plate, reg docs have been known to be incorrect and the VIN plate is what the authorities will go off if weighed.

Yes, worth a check. My V5 was 200kg less than the VIN plate. A letter to DVLA and photo of VIN plate quickly sorted that issue.

GWAYGWAY

Free Member
Sep 6, 2014
Dover
Funster No
MH
Hymer ML I 580
Exp
4 years
My oddesee has a Ford plate saying 3500kgs and a V5 saying 3860, the details on the V5 are what got me caught out in the LEZ and the LEZ people have refused to have me as an approved vehicle because Swansea say 3860. I feel that the correct figure is 3860 as that is what it was sold at new but the plate never changeds. I am going to get another one stamped up and put that on the other side so that whoever stop me for whatever will get directed to the appropriate one to keep them happy,, ie breakdown service to 3500 VOSA to the 3850. Why does it have to be so complicated that the overweight building of these vans leaves us with pathetic payloads so that the punter is in danger of being caught out by something or other.

jonandshell

Free Member
Dec 12, 2010
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Not got one!
Exp
Since 2006
That's normal for a MH.

Somewhere there should be a Trigano plate with the 3860 rating.
Ours is under the bonnet.

The Ford plate is down rated to allow Trigano to build it down to 3500 if required.

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
My oddesee has a Ford plate saying 3500kgs and a V5 saying 3860, the details on the V5 are what got me caught out in the LEZ and the LEZ people have refused to have me as an approved vehicle because Swansea say 3860. I feel that the correct figure is 3860 as that is what it was sold at new but the plate never changeds. I am going to get another one stamped up and put that on the other side so that whoever stop me for whatever will get directed to the appropriate one to keep them happy,, ie breakdown service to 3500 VOSA to the 3850. Why does it have to be so complicated that the overweight building of these vans leaves us with pathetic payloads so that the punter is in danger of being caught out by something or other.
nobody makes you buy it . there was a choice to or not to.

GWAYGWAY

Free Member
Sep 6, 2014
Dover
Funster No
MH
Hymer ML I 580
Exp
4 years
I was referring to MH in general as the limit is very set and and dire consequences if you stray over it. or the licence business is involved.. WHY are MH's so heavy for what they actually are, a box on wheels. As I mentioned if you bought a car and three seats are all you can fill you would not be happy and they would not sell many. Too many frills and fancy trimmings. Why does a small table need both hands to struggle with to move? Why is a floor made of armour plate grade material, and it still de-laminates. Why does a cupboard door weigh as much a a kitchen cabinet one at home. An aircraft made like them would not fly. There are many more options for the use of lighter material but they will not use them as they cost more, probably.

OP
OP
chasthedagger
Apr 28, 2008
rayleigh, essex.
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2007
just looked at plate on side of our hymer it states the folowing,
3900kg
5500kg
1 1850kg
2 2200kg
dont know why the 5500 is there

Sep 26, 2013
Market Rasen
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2003
just looked at plate on side of our hymer it states the folowing,
3900kg
5500kg
1 1850kg
2 2200kg
dont know why the 5500 is there
That's your train weight so it means that you can tow 1600kg.

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
I was referring to MH in general as the limit is very set and and dire consequences if you stray over it. or the licence business is involved.. WHY are MH's so heavy for what they actually are, a box on wheels. As I mentioned if you bought a car and three seats are all you can fill you would not be happy and they would not sell many. Too many frills and fancy trimmings. Why does a small table need both hands to struggle with to move? Why is a floor made of armour plate grade material, and it still de-laminates. Why does a cupboard door weigh as much a a kitchen cabinet one at home. An aircraft made like them would not fly. There are many more options for the use of lighter material but they will not use them as they cost more, probably.
its amazing i know . i used to build vw campers and fit hightops as part of my business . the weight just piles up.
one of the reasons i drive what i do is i can have loads of payload and that means i dont have to worry much .
but i do often pull onto weigh bridges when abroad and check before coming home .
i have large fuel tanks .also bring enough beer so i dont buy in uk . and a few wines .
it all mounts up.
in 98 i set off to travel africa in a light built vw van . but even then with several spares etc ,roof tent it was half a ton over before we left uk. never did weigh it with full water etc . darent .
it was a bit of a worry crossing spain but in africa nobody cares . i bet we were a ton over sometimes .
i certainly wouldnt do it now . i was younger and dafter .

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back