Cruise Control (1 Viewer)

Mar 25, 2015
Wolverhampton
Funster No
MH
Coach built
Exp
"I'm a newbie"
Can anyone advise me re having a stand alone cruise control fitted to my fiat ducato motorhome 2015 model. Would it do any damage to the electrics or the engine? Any advice would be appreciated

ludo

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 12, 2011
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 1990
We too had Dave Newell fit a cruise control to our 2015 Fiat Ducato.

Super neat job and can highly recommend.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

mikebeaches

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 22, 2010
Bristol
Funster No
MH
Rapido V68 Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2009
Don't forget to ask Dave Newell for your Funster discount!

He'll do a great job for you.

Mike

Oct 15, 2012
Market Harborough
Funster No
MH
C Class Laika Ecovip 7R
Exp
Another vote for Dave Newell, fitted mine 18 months ago and I would not be without it, it's great. (y)

dave newell

Free Member
Oct 31, 2008
Telford, Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Home converted PVC
Exp
26yrs
Retro fitted cruise will not affect the engine or electrics of your vehicle. I have fitted literally thousands over the last 14 years and not a single problem with vehicle electrics/engine as a result. Call us this morning on 01952 587702 (we roll for Malvern this afternoon) to discuss your needs further.

D.

Jun 10, 2010
Shrewsbury (sometimes)
Funster No
MH
N&B Clou Liner MAN
Exp
I dont know which system Dave Newell fits.

But I was very impressed with the control of the gold system we had on our last van, It was a small extra stock which i fitted directly to behind one of the column stalks and had 3 presetable buttons that you can easily change to what you want, I set them to 30mph, 50mph and 65mph, and it mean t that when I entered the interminable roadworks I could just press one button.

If it had a downside, it would disengage at 10mph below the set speed, which with the old 5 speed 2.8jtd was a bit of a pain. but still better than the more recent fiat system that you have to disengage with the brake if you want to use the resume feature.

Its listed as GC5 on this page, at Conrad Anderson Birmingham but you could also ask Dave newell if he does it or could get it.
http://www.conrad-anderson.co.uk/articles/view/cruise-control-command-module

Dec 12, 2010
Cumbria
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
since 2011
Hi @jonegood, interested to hear that you fitted your own as I am considering doing the same on my Renault, what sort of task was it ? Can you explain what you mean when you say "it would disengage at 10 mph below the set speed" I thought that once set, that's the speed it would maintain ?
Thanks, Graeme.

MikeandCarolyn

Free Member
Mar 18, 2008
Worle,North Somerset
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2009
Hi @jonegood, interested to hear that you fitted your own as I am considering doing the same on my Renault, what sort of task was it ? Can you explain what you mean when you say "it would disengage at 10 mph below the set speed" I thought that once set, that's the speed it would maintain ?
Thanks, Graeme.

Ours came with the van Fiat Ducato,disengages if you touch brake or accelerator-we hardly ever bother with it. Whatever I set it to,I'm always having to either slow down or speed up,particularly in UK.But even on mainland Europe I don't find it very usefull.

MattR

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2013
Beds
Funster No
MH
Panel van
Exp
Years
Thanks, Graeme.

I wonder if it disengages when the vehicle can't maintain the speed in the gear that it is in due to inclines etc.

MattR

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2013
Beds
Funster No
MH
Panel van
Exp
Years
Ours came with the van Fiat Ducato,disengages if you touch brake or accelerator-we hardly ever bother with it. Whatever I set it to,I'm always having to either slow down or speed up,particularly in UK.But even on mainland Europe I don't find it very usefull.

I fitted a Waeco cruise control to our Bongo - it has made driving even more relaxing (in the UK and Europe - cruising on the motor ways is a dream and even in speed restricted areas, I can set it at the limit and know that I'm not going over and, therefore, won't get a fine). I'm looking to get cc installed on my MH.

Don Quixote

Free Member
Jul 29, 2012
Lost in La Mancha, Spain
Funster No
MH
VW T6 Campervan
Exp
Not long enough, but a little common sense helps..........
Can anyone advise me re having a stand alone cruise control fitted to my fiat ducato motorhome 2015 model. Would it do any damage to the electrics or the engine? Any advice would be appreciated
I travelled from Spain 3 years ago to have work done by Dave Newell, and recommend 100%. Have it fitted by Dave.

Dec 12, 2010
Cumbria
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
since 2011
We have cc on the car and Val uses it all the time, she needs knee replacements but is too young so anything that helps her driving comfort is worth looking at.

LesleyC

Free Member
Jul 28, 2015
Surrey
Funster No
MH
Base bought-no conversion
Exp
None at all, but a fair amount of tent camping experience
I wonder if it disengages when the vehicle can't maintain the speed in the gear that it is in due to inclines etc.

That is what the Cruise Control on my car does ... if there isn't enough power to get up the hill in the gear I'm in, after a certain amount of speed drop off, the CC disengages.

Jun 10, 2010
Shrewsbury (sometimes)
Funster No
MH
N&B Clou Liner MAN
Exp
That is what the Cruise Control on my car does ... if there isn't enough power to get up the hill in the gear I'm in, after a certain amount of speed drop off, the CC disengages.

Sorry for the delay in reply.

yes that is correct, it was more of a a problem with the old 2.8 five speed because of the 2000rpm flat spot, was much better after re map.

Thanks, Graeme.

It wasnt too hard to fit. it was basically a controller and a cable that pulled the throttle linkage and then you had to join into the speed control, clutch and brake wires. However the programming was a pain. I would probably go for a professional fit if the price wasnt too much.

WynandJean

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 23, 2010
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph 682
Exp
Since 2010
This must be starting to sound boring but Dave Newell fitted ours too. While it comes as standard on the car I rarely use it, but in the motorhome I find it's invaluable. Every journey I do reminds me of what it was like before it was fitted and it's so much more comfortable to drive any distance now.

Wyn

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Thanks, Graeme.

Nooo.. If you arfe going up a steep hill in a high gear you will start to slow down as the required pulling power is more than the engine can deliver.
Once your speed drops to 10mph lower than your set speed it will disengage

That is pretty much standard on all types of CC.
The type Dave fits has, I believe, a choice of either a pad with three buttons or a stalk that attached on the column plastics
Although I fitted my one and subsequently a few others for friends and family, David has supplied the kits and I could not have done that forst one without his input and backup on the telephone.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back