LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
The drain on our shower isn't working :) Been under the van and found a loose pipe which should have gone into the waste tank (it came from the shower drain) and we've reconnected that. It wasn't draining when not connected so I think that suggests the problem is further up so to speak.

If we connect a pipe to the drain (either the bit that should have gone into the grey tank or to the plug hole - not at the same time :) ) it is possible to blow the water either up into the shower tray or down into the tank .... sort of suggests there is a low spot in the pipe to me.

Anyone got any ideas? We'll blow the water through in the meantime. We are on a site south of Marple and the site facilities are not adequate for the number of people on site. I'd like to move sites but this is the best site for where we need to be as we are helping out family - and it's cheap considering it is school holidays.

Oh, the van is level.
EDIT: Chausson Welcome WS if that is of any use :)

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Soap residue, hair and natural body fat blocking the pipe nearer to the shower plughole.
You could, if possible, remove the hose from the shower tray and carefully probe the hose to free anything stuck up there.
Once hair gets trapped it attracts soap residue.
Opened out wire coat hanger would suffice.

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
are you sure its the plug hole you see or as it got a small bottle trap under the shower tray . lots do have them . if thats blocked it will need dismantling . they do one that hardly two inches high . block really easy.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
a bottle of fizzy cola down the slow plughole will help clear nasty deposits

OP
OP
Puddleduck

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
Thanks guys.

The blowing only showed clear water, no debris or scum at all so don't think it is hair and soap residue as that usually shows up pretty yukky - well it does at home when that that blocked.

We will blow it through whilst we are on site and have a good look when we get home :) Not sure how to take it apart and don't want to damage it whilst we are away. We also have more and better tools ta home, only basics here on site.

OP
OP
Puddleduck

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
a bottle of fizzy cola down the slow plughole will help clear nasty deposits

Done that :) It didn't help except make the liquid we did blow through be cola rather than water.

Abacist

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 15, 2013
Devon
Funster No
MH
N & B Arto 88F Tag
Exp
since 2013
Why not use hot water and a domestic sink plunger to shift the blockage!

Eeyore

Free Member
Oct 28, 2010
Funster No
Be very careful with domestic sink plungers in a motorhome. The connections are not as strong as those at home and it is easy to blow one of them off altogether.

Not relevant here but, when the sink in our van is slow draining, I find that simply putting the heel of my hand over the plug hole to make a seal and then, gently, pumping my hand up and down clears the blockage.

Abacist

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 15, 2013
Devon
Funster No
MH
N & B Arto 88F Tag
Exp
since 2013
Another thought then - what about a length of those old fashioned net curtain springy curtain rails that would bend very easily around the pipes providing you don't have a trap.

greygit

Free Member
Aug 11, 2009
Forest of Dean, Glos, France and Spain
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
When in Spain last year our shower drain started to play up, after trying various cures
we resorted to bleach and it worked a treat and it has been fine ever since .........fingers crossed.

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
I suggest some sort of drain cleaner too, you can get liquid ones which will be safe. If it is a powder it will probably be caustic soda and this will get hot if there is only a little water in the pipe.

And if the vehicle is level then try un-levelling it. Our shower only drains well when the waste tank is empty and not at all if it is uphill from the shower drain.

OP
OP
Puddleduck

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
Problem solved :)

Because there was a family playing football next to our van and I was concerned about damage we decided to move pitch. The site owner had already spoken to them but as they are not from the UK there was a language problem .... anyway in the interests of international goodwill we asked them to help us move our van to give them more space :) On the new pitch we are ever so slightly nose up.

I'd also put bio-liquid down the plug hole and the remains of a bottle of pepsi. Also used the sucker part of the "no cassette" flag as a mini plunger. Not sure which of these things did the trick but the shower is now draining really well.

:bear: for all the ideas.

The site isn't brilliant at this time of year .... too many people for the facilities (so really pleased we have our own) but it is handy for our son's house, for the Macclesfield Canal and for Middlewood Way cycle track.

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
>> Shower not draining

Exactly what a duck wants.