Kalkhoff buying from Germany (1 Viewer)

Dec 5, 2013
Somerset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
I am thinking of buying a Kalkhoff ebike, as they are made in Germany has any Funster had experience of buying over the Intranet from Germany or any EU countries? I assume it would be cheaper than UK dealers. Any advice or recommendations would be useful.

Mike

Last edited:

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Brought our Scott's from a German dealer saved £400 a bike.
Dealer was Fahrrah link to their site in English with prices in pounds Bikes24

Don't think they do Kalkhoff, we looked at Kalkhoff didn't think they rode as well as bikes with Bosch motors and most models have the battery behind the down tube which makes the bike longer and a bit tight in the Motorhome garage.

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
In italy so can't post links....ebay.de to ID dealers and deals. Or Swiss flyer Dumo, a Dutch dealer of swiss flyer and kalkhoff bikes. A chap with good reputation on German pedelec site.

In all honesty Bosch bikes in a different league! Lighter more efficient, more powerful and lighter. Plus prices keen as more about. It costs nothing to test ride one to compare. And as Lenny said normal wheelbase

I admit i nearly bought a Swiss flyer as they are beautiful but expensive....have had 4 Bosch powered bikes since 2011 and they are the business

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Apr 23, 2010
Isle Of Man
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
4 years
Hi Mike this is my new bike
IMG_0868.JPG

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
I've bought bike bits form these people and they were very good to deal with. They also sell eBikes, some with Bosch motors such as this one. Not cheap but if you hunt around you may find reviews on this make. I suspect they wouldn't be expensive to have it shipped to youin the UK.
Broken Link Removed

Apr 23, 2010
Isle Of Man
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
4 years
Hi Lenny yes I did............Not!!!:LOL::LOL::LOL:
Saw the Hymer branded one later on and thought the same bike but Hymers pricing.

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
Sorry to hi-jack the thread but just wondering do any of these German bike have the very low step through that the As Bikes have? I can't get my leg over so to speak :eek:

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
We had the exact same AVE bike in black..With 20/inch wheels it has such a mechanical advantage it would climb anything! Not so fast on the flat though. It had derailiuer gears which I prefer though

Last edited:

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Sorry to hi-jack the thread but just wondering do any of these German bike have the very low step through that the As Bikes have? I can't get my leg over so to speak :eek:
Nearly every German manufacturer makes a step through apart from Haibike.
My wife wanted a step through, but had to settle for a ladies frame as step through are unisex and the frames don't go down as small (she is only 4'10") & surprising how much higher the 700 (28") wheels make a bike.

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp

Would have to try it. The cross bar looks higher than the one on the AS Bike and I only just manage that :( Most step through bikes are too high for me to actually step through.... it's difficult to hold the bike and use hands to lift the leg that needs to go through (or over). Had some one try to show me how at a show and when I lifted my foot / leg to it's unaided limit he was speechless.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Look for a bike with 26" wheels it will be a bit lower, will limit your choice to off road bikes, but easy enough to change the tyres & add mudguards if needed.

parknride

Free Member
Jan 21, 2014
cumbria
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
since 1988
@Puddleduck I'm only 5'4" have difficulty with 28" wheels. I am delighted with this bought online. You are welcome to come try if you like I'm half hour from gretna. Has push assist, very useful, 26" wheels bosch

IMAG0262-1.jpg

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Last edited:

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
I'm 5ft 10in but have a spinal injury that limits some movements which is why I need a very low step through but a large frame bike. In my younger days I rode a man's bike with a home made saddle for comfort :)

Again sorry to hijack the thread.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
I'm 5'10" my Scot has 28" wheels mens cross tube frame with the 28 wheels the frame seem a bit on the big size, although small size frame would have been fine height wise, top tube would be too short.
No substitute for riding loads of bikes before buying.
I thought Kalkhoff were nice to until I tried a few other makes then they dropped to the bottom on the list Haibikes felt nice but got on a Scott everthing just felt right.
What feels good for one could be a poor ride for others.
My wife only being 4'10" didn't have much choice most of the quality manufacturers don't make teen size frames which she needs.

Apr 23, 2010
Isle Of Man
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
4 years
What a lovely bike, I have looked at this one as well. I would be very interested to know the height and width when folded, to see if it would fit in the MH garage.
Let us know how you find the bike, great price as well.
regards
LC
Hi Lindacarole
The e-bike is not a true folder,but the handlebars drop down and it has a quick release saddle post.
When they are dropped and saddle post removed,the bike stands 34" tall and 58" long and the pedals turn in. HTH's

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
What a lovely bike, I have looked at this one as well. I would be very interested to know the height and width when folded, to see if it would fit in the MH garage.
Let us know how you find the bike, great price as well.
regards
LC

We had the same bike for 2 years...I think it was the first one in the country more or less. They are lovely. BUT! no way as nice to ride as a full size 26 or 28 inch model

Lindacarole

Free Member
Mar 23, 2014
Oxfordshire
Funster No
MH
Hobby Siesta Van
Exp
Now a year !
Red dragon and Judge , thanks for the info. I am not really looking, can't justify a new bike, but I do like the look of the ebikes.
Red I think that folded size is too big to go in our garage, and Judge you are right a big wheeled bike is so nice to ride. Will keep looking and thinking!
Will have to work out a plan,
Regards
LC

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back