Habitation battery changeover switch (1 Viewer)

Touchwood

Free Member
Aug 23, 2011
NE England
Funster No
MH
Compass Avantgarde 140
Exp
5 years and learning
When I bought my MH there were two habitation batteries fitted, a large 110 Ah in the external locker and a smaller one under the side bench. The smaller one was not connected; the connections are there but not hooked on to the battery terminals. There is also a switch fitted next to the smaller battery and wired in somehow, but it looks to me like an ordinary household light switch. I asked the previous owner what the intended setup was, but he was pretty vague about it, and given that some of his "modifications" have proved a bit iffy I'm planning to ignore what he had in mind.

What I want to achieve seems quite simple to me; I want the option to switch to the smaller battery if the larger one is drained by extended use. This isn't going to happen much, if at all, as we are always on hookup, but it would be nice to have the backup just in case.

As far as I can see all I need is to wire both batteries in, with a simple switch to isolate one and put the other in line, and vice versa. Am I right in this? and what about the switch itself? I feel an ordinary household light switch isn't the right choice! I have searched this forum for advice but the only threads I can find get far too complicated with talk of split charging, relays etc., I'm just a simple mechanical engineer!

Flamenca

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 21, 2013
Europe
Funster No
MH
Hymer 564
Exp
Since 2010
A lot of boats use a 3 position rotary switch labelled Battery 1/Off/Battery 2 which would fulfil the purpose of selecting the battery you are using. However, how do you propose connecting them when charging off the engine alternator?

Flamenca

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 21, 2013
Europe
Funster No
MH
Hymer 564
Exp
Since 2010
Ah, I have answered my own question.....a 4 position rotary switch such as the following:

Broken Link Removed

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
the switching currents and a domestic light switch are not compatible, unless of course you use a relay. you also need to consider how the normally disconnected battery will charge

OP
OP
Touchwood

Touchwood

Free Member
Aug 23, 2011
NE England
Funster No
MH
Compass Avantgarde 140
Exp
5 years and learning
You would be better off having the two batteries permanently connected in parallel.

Dave

I thought this wasn't a good idea if the batteries are different capacities?

Derbyshire wanderer

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 30, 2014
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
15 years
You would be better off having the two batteries permanently connected in parallel.

Dave
They must be matched the same though or one will ruin the other. This would be far easier for charging and will double the capacity so much less chance of actually running out if the single battery now used normally lasts you.

Flamenca

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 21, 2013
Europe
Funster No
MH
Hymer 564
Exp
Since 2010

Not a problem in practice. I had twelve standard 110Ah lead acid batteries connected in parallel on a solar powered system and the batteries lasted 10 years.

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
different capacities would be fine connected in Parallel, but they must both be same age and condition as if either fails it will kill the other

OP
OP
Touchwood

Touchwood

Free Member
Aug 23, 2011
NE England
Funster No
MH
Compass Avantgarde 140
Exp
5 years and learning
A lot of boats use a 3 position rotary switch labelled Battery 1/Off/Battery 2 which would fulfil the purpose of selecting the battery you are using. However, how do you propose connecting them when charging off the engine alternator?

A three position switch sounds ideal. Presumably when charging off the engine alternator whichever battery is "on line" will charge - this may seem less than ideal as of course the other won't, but bearing in mind this is only an emergency backup set up I don't see a problem - if I have to switch batteries whilst off hook up I'll just have to remember to switch back again when I'm running the engine to charge the primary battery, then at some stage switch to the secondary to re-charge that, either from engine or EHU.

Dave - I really don't want to wire the batteries in parallel, as the smaller battery is quite old and I'm worried it could fail with the possibility of draining the principal battery. If I didn't already have the smaller battery installed I wouldn't bother.

Anyone any ideas on where to purchase a three position switch? Preferably cheap and small so as to be unobtrusive when fitted.

Derbyshire wanderer

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 30, 2014
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
15 years
They must be matched the same though or one will ruin the other. This would be far easier for charging and will double the capacity so much less chance of actually running out if the single battery now used normally lasts you.
Doh, not thinking before typing. They only need to match if connected in series. Parallel connection only needs the voltage to match.
You could just wire it permanently to the bigger battery and not need a switch or need to swop over for charging it.

icantremember

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 2, 2010
Near to Watton in Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Hymer T-SL668
Exp
since 2005
I have two identical batteries with a four way changeover switch, bat1 , bat2, both and off.
The only reason I have the switch is so either battery can be isolated without losing 12v habitation supply but is normally on both.

Techno

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jul 28, 2010
Leeds the one up North
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7090F 3 litre 160
Exp
May 2010
I use this
Broken Link Removed

This manages my 2 banks of 230ah & 500ah

Rated at 300A continuous (1 hour) at 48V DC and 1000A for 5 seconds.
Selects between batteries: One, Two, Both or off.
M10 Terminal Studs.
CE approved.

CA_01021514391990-X2.jpg

Last edited:

mick noe

Funster
Deceased RIP
Apr 14, 2009
near Boston Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
low line
Exp
use a marine battery changover switch as @icantremember is using then choose which battery to use/charge and then no problems with miss matched batts. Bought mine on ebay about £25. (don't forget to use heavy interconnecting cables)

Teuchter

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Nov 4, 2014
Lee on the Solent
Funster No
MH
Hymer Mercedes MLI 580
Exp
I have been caravanning for 32 years but in 2014 I have"gone over to the dark side"
Use a 4 position s/w as described by Flamenca - switch to "both" position when driving or on hook uyps (this way both batteries will charge in parallel, this way you always start with 2 fully charged batteries. When pitched without hook ups then switch to 1 and have 2 fully charged in reserve. This is how I do it on my boat :)

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back