No more cycle races in Yorkshire? (1 Viewer)

Mar 21, 2010
Funster No

After spending millions of pounds on getting the Tour de France to start in Yorkshire and promoting a top class professional race this year. Yorkshire Police have decided to NOT ALLOW any more cycle races as it is to dangerous.!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

colyboy

Badknee

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 25, 2014
notloB
Funster No
MH
Vantage Neo
Exp
Living the dream.

After spending millions of pounds on getting the Tour de France to start in Yorkshire and promoting a top class professional race this year. Yorkshire Police have decided to NOT ALLOW any more cycle races as it is to dangerous.!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

colyboy
They probably mean it's too expensive, but I bet they charged plenty to cover The TdF!

sdc77

Free Member
Jan 28, 2013
Weardale, Co Durham
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
since 2011
Having recently read about this it appears to be residents complaining about disruption that's the main issue. .. shame for cycling. (Although some of the more militant cyclists views are as bad imho)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
There was something on our local news the other day about this, it appears the use of the word 'Race' causes a problem

This may be a technical issue and things will actually continue more or less the same

Paddywack

Free Member
Oct 15, 2013
Neasham, Co Durham
Funster No
MH
Hymer ExsisT588
South Yorkshire Police have taken the action, North Yorkshire stil promoting it. Most damning part is that a Sargent got to make the decision two days before a big event.

British Cycling are making representations, I expect some back peddling once some higher ups get some grief.

OP
OP
colyboy
Mar 21, 2010
Funster No
SORRY!

Did not listen properly to the news. It seems that a race was cancelled at the last minute by South Yorkshire Police as it was to dangerous. BBC news only tell you half the news. The 2016 Tour Yorkshire will be a four day race.

colyboy

Greytop

Free Member
Jul 9, 2011
Funster No
MH
Hyner Swing 544
Exp
On and off since 1985
Well my understanding that next years "Tour de Yorkshire" is on and has been increased to 4 days in total.

sdc77

Free Member
Jan 28, 2013
Weardale, Co Durham
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
since 2011
South Yorkshire Police have taken the action, North Yorkshire stil promoting it. Most damning part is that a Sargent got to make the decision two days before a big event.

British Cycling are making representations, I expect some back peddling once some higher ups get some grief.
Tbh .. I'd expect a Sgt to be more aware of local issues than some higher ups..

Paddywack

Free Member
Oct 15, 2013
Neasham, Co Durham
Funster No
MH
Hymer ExsisT588
Tbh .. I'd expect a Sgt to be more aware of local issues than some higher ups..
But he is clearly not able to consider the "big picture" - the massive public investment made in bringing cycle races to Yorkshire because of the return it brings in tourism revenue, a farmer inconvenienced on his combine for half an hour shouldn't have that much sway - unless they are in the same lodge? Which is why a "senior officer" is meeting with the British Cycling rep later this month.

sdc77

Free Member
Jan 28, 2013
Weardale, Co Durham
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
since 2011
I think that residents views should be taken into account ....

I can give the example of ride London last week. Some residents were actually confined to their streets ... it bought chaos to east London from 4am ... Who would want that ....

Tourism revenue is obviously a great boost to the local economy.. but surely just because the cycling lobby thinks it should go ahead that's a little unfair on locals who may be inconvenienced.

It's good that local people have stood up to the cycling lobby and made them stop and take a breath.

The farmers are the custodians of most of the countryside and to slag them off and accuse them and local police of corruption because a cycle race was cancelled is a little OTT. Sounds good tho I spose for velopod weekly

Jun 14, 2014
Coventry
Funster No
MH
IH N680CFL
Exp
Since2014
I did the ride London last week and it was a superb event for all who took part. The event was well publicised and road closures well managed and kept to a minimum. What is most annoying about this is the people that despite all the signs ect say my day was ruined by cyclists. Really. Was it really all day. I think not.
I'm afraid it's like the new forest ride. They want our money for sure but not on a cycle. The people on the streets of London were fantastic we raised loads of money for charity. I cycled back to my campsite in East London after the ride around 2 pm. The roads seemed open to cars as far as I could see. Looks like Yorkshire is going the same way shame really. Just like the new forest. We won't go there:groan::imoutahere:

sdc77

Free Member
Jan 28, 2013
Weardale, Co Durham
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
since 2011
I was involved in the organisation of the ride london event and I can assure you that a good time was had by all involved and lots of money was raised for charity.
Unfortunately roads were closed in East London ..Limehouse link area ... from 4am until 10am and this was not good. In fact police at one point struggled to cross the route to get to a stabbing. Residents were prevented from going to work or moving from their streets on occasion.
Also .. I knew about the event and I live in East London and I saw no advertising or warnings re road closures.
If that's how it can be here then I sympathise with some of the people in Yorkshire.
Having said that. . I am a supporter of cycling and I would like to see more events but not at the expense of residents or to the detriment of local business.

Scattycat

Free Member
Jan 3, 2013
Mayenne, France
Funster No
MH
Rapido
Exp
Since 2010
Residents complaining!!
At least a couple of week-ends a year we get a note put into our letter-box from the local Mayor stating that on the next Sunday certain roads will be closed for a couple of hours and also if we want to leave our property during those hours we can only turn left so as to avoid coming into conflict with the local cycle race.
Do we or any of the other locals complain?
NO, it's just part of the culture and it's good to folks getting involved in sports.
It seems to us, from lots of things we hear about the UK nowadays that the place is becoming a land of dedicated moaners, and spoilsports, (no pun intended).

Gripe over and back to my smiley self

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back