Caravan Club CL Co-Ordinates (1 Viewer)

GeriatricWanderer

Free Member
Feb 1, 2015
Ouagadougou, Burkina Faso, just cos I can!
Funster No
MH
Pop-Top Campervan
Exp
45years
I've used the C&CC CSs for a number of years - I don't do Club Sites but I find the membership cost is worth it just for access to CSs.

Time for a change and some new sites so I thought I might sign up for a year with the CC but only to get information and access to their CLs.

Can a CC member please tell me if their Sites Guide, both paper and on-line, give the GPS co-ords for the CLs.

Thanks

Mar 11, 2014
Lincs
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
Since 2010
I don't know about the book (never use it and no idea what I've done with it!) but it does give the GPS co-ords on the website.

Here's an example from a randomly selected CL.

• Postcode: HP22 4NF
  • GPS co-ordinates: Lat: 51.8747 Lon: -0.7780
  • OS ref: 165:SP842203

John & Joan

Free Member
Mar 30, 2010
Darlington
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
10 years this time
Many of the CL coordinates are that of the centre of the Post Code area. This is fine for towns were it can pinpoint down to a part of a street. In the countryside it can be widely off the location, when the same post covers many miles of countryside.

OP
OP
GeriatricWanderer

GeriatricWanderer

Free Member
Feb 1, 2015
Funster No
MH
Pop-Top Campervan
Exp
45years
Thanks guys (and gals?).

Yes, I know C&CC mostly uses Post Code co-ords - no surprise that the CC does the same.
I'm a solo traveller so have no second pair of eyes on the map so I always check the co-ords on GE before loading to my Garmin. It takes a bit of time (nice winter job) but I do know that I can rely on my Garmin to take me to the site entrance and not 150m up the road.

Welsh girl

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 7, 2009
Funster No
MH
Globecar
Exp
Since 2004
Coordinates are best for us as you mentioned it could be 100 or so yards away with a post code. Are caravan club doing coordinates now?
I could never work out OS position

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

teensvan99

Free Member
May 17, 2015
Margate
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
Just looked at CC site book and directions for Skegness site. At Garden city Bungalow park turn R ect ect turn L at freds café and so on with more long winded directions. What a load of S--T. Look in aires or Bord Atlas books and there is a simple set of co- ordinates that all sat naves understand. One day they might cotton on and save about 100 pages per book.

steve & ann. ------------ teensvan

Apr 29, 2009
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Burstner Nexxo T740
Exp
since 2008
The post code alone is not always adequate. You need the instructions as well as sometimes the sat nav (even in truck mode) will take you down difficult lanes when there may be a better caravan friendly route. Last couple of weeks we have stayed at CL's in Devon and Kent and have had some discussions about the routes into some sites (had a day looking at Van Conversions after one particularly narrow, high hedged in need of a trim journey into site). Decided to keep Bessie and resume normal holiday service next year (France)

codriver

Free Member
Jul 15, 2013
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Apache
Exp
Just checked the CC site book and they do give GPS co-ordinates for CL sites, including those for the Skegness site.

Feb 22, 2011
Newcastle under Lyme
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544 A Class
Exp
Since 2015
I ask this as a newbie and not a member of any camping club yet, just trying to get my head around this strange new world.
If all you want to do is stay on CL or CS sites is it really necessary to pay a membership fee ?
I stayed on a caravan club CL last week, all the CC signs were up on the entrance and the farmer never asked if I was a member and I don`t think he could have cared less.
Come to that I`ve stayed on CC club sites as a non member..... so is it really worth joining ?
I suppose there are other benefits to membership

TerryL

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 5, 2010
North East
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
The official line is that if you want to stay on a registered CL or CS you need to be a member of the relevant club. This, of course, is to ensure the sites are properly authorised - i.e. max 5 units so don't need to go through all the legal niceties of a registering as a full-blown campsite.

That said, there has been the occasional CL where we weren't asked for membership cards. We have also seen sites with 6 or 7 vans, (however there was oodles of room). Technically, therefore these sites are illegal.

On numerous CC and C&CC club sites it's possible for non-members to stay, you just pay a premium. We're members of both (now - just joined C&CC) mainly for the CL/CSs which we prefer, although we have used full club sites.

On the subject of satnav co-ords, both clubs provide POI files for full sites as well as CL/CS. Trouble is they don't update very often so you should use the handbooks as well, 'cos they're (a bit more) up-to-date. They appear to be taken at the site entrance (but I haven't tried them all so don't blame me..........!)

Flamenca

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 21, 2013
Europe
Funster No
MH
Hymer 564
Exp
Since 2010
The official line is that if you want to stay on a registered CL or CS you need to be a member of the relevant club. This, of course, is to ensure the sites are properly authorised - i.e. max 5 units so don't need to go through all the legal niceties of a registering as a full-blown campsite.

That said, there has been the occasional CL where we weren't asked for membership cards. We have also seen sites with 6 or 7 vans, (however there was oodles of room). Technically, therefore these sites are illegal.

On numerous CC and C&CC club sites it's possible for non-members to stay, you just pay a premium. We're members of both (now - just joined C&CC) mainly for the CL/CSs which we prefer, although we have used full club sites.

On the subject of satnav co-ords, both clubs provide POI files for full sites as well as CL/CS. Trouble is they don't update very often so you should use the handbooks as well, 'cos they're (a bit more) up-to-date. They appear to be taken at the site entrance (but I haven't tried them all so don't blame me..........!)

CL and CS sites are not illegal if they allow 'non-members' to stay. It is merely that the clubs tie the sites into an unreasonable contract. The planning legality does not depend on these contracts which should be banned.

Sep 23, 2013
Lincs
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout
Exp
Since 2008 (started in a VW T4 campervan)
The illegality is not in allowing non-members - as you say, that is a civil contract between the site owner & the clubs.

What is in breach of their licence terms under the Act is having more than 5 'vans on site, which I think is what TerryL was referring to when he talked about them being illegal.

OP
OP
GeriatricWanderer

GeriatricWanderer

Free Member
Feb 1, 2015
Funster No
MH
Pop-Top Campervan
Exp
45years
Using the CL's postcode and address you can locate on google earth then use the coords from there to use in your satnag.

That method can put you at the CL's entrance.

Precisely what I've been doing for a good number of years - pity someone in the club's Admin Offices couldn't do the same before publishing incorrect co-ords.

Flamenca

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 21, 2013
Europe
Funster No
MH
Hymer 564
Exp
Since 2010
The illegality is not in allowing non-members - as you say, that is a civil contract between the site owner & the clubs.

What is in breach of their licence terms under the Act is having more than 5 'vans on site, which I think is what TerryL was referring to when he talked about them being illegal.

Oh yes. I should have read TerryL's post more thoroughly. My only mittigation is the wine I had already consumed :oops:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back