lincoln
Funster No
MH
peugeot wayfarer
Exp
I`m a newbie
Nah then,
IM away on my European tour on Monday
If anyone is still awake..........as its late........... can you tell what I should do about my batteries.
Do I
plug in my lekky cable to the MH and that's that. from home to cool my fridge
Or
plug my cable and switch on the lesure batt switch
I can get the fridge working fine with the cable in.....but does the cable charge my lesure battery.

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
virtually all motorhomes have a charger that works by default when EHU is plugged in. On some rare occasions the control panel needs to be switched on too. plus the leisure battery will charge from the engine alternator whilst driving

Upvote 0

John & Joan

Free Member
Mar 30, 2010
Darlington
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
10 years this time
Your fridge should cool if you plug in to mains. Make sure the power is on to the fridge. The fridge does not work off the batteries, it is powered by the vehicle alternator direct through a relay that cuts the power if the alternator stops charging or the engine stops.

Some fridges will self select the best available power source. Gas or mains then the vehicle.

We prefer to cool our fridge on gas as it is more efficient. The vehicle supply simply maintains it once cooled. Your mains option is also good for cooling overnight.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

Badknee

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 25, 2014
notloB
Funster No
MH
Vantage Neo
Exp
Living the dream.
I plug into the mains the night before, check fridge switch is set to leccy then let charging unit do it's stuff for the leisure batteries, if you want hot water for the trip make sure your tanks ar fulland switch water heater on to leccy, it will go off when travelling but the water will stay hot for a while for rinsing cups/plates while in transit.(y) .................. Or if it's not a Transit whatever make it is :LOL:

Upvote 0

Ethle the wondervan

Free Member
Mar 13, 2015
Peak District
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
One year
Stay at home. It's your safest option! :whistle:
Nah then,
IM away on my European tour on Monday
Do I
plug in my lekky cable to the MH and that's that. from home to cool my fridge

You don't want to be trailing thousands of miles of cable around Europe from home. Get a shorter one and plug it in when you get to a suitable site. o_O

Sorry, sorry, I'm ashamed, sorry. Have a brilliant trip!!! :)

Upvote 0
OP
OP
stringa
Mar 26, 2015
lincoln
Funster No
MH
peugeot wayfarer
Exp
I`m a newbie
I'm having trouble with my fridge, do any of these pictures mean anything to you funsters, the pilot is on ..but very small ....turned the knob with the little flame symbols up and down but still nothing........it has worked before.....but I can't remember what I did..which colour switch needs switching........it won't work on leaky either.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    154.5 KB · Views: 62
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    157.9 KB · Views: 61
Upvote 0

cruiser

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 12, 2012
northampton
Funster No
MH
coach built elddis 400
Exp
since 1978
I can not get mine to work on my drive. it works ok on sites. but not at home.??

Upvote 0

Emmit

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 14, 2009
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Pilote Explorateur
Exp
Jan.2014
Stringa,
Good evening,

I had one of theose fridges when I was a tugger.
The switches on the left coloured red and green operate the electricity side of the fridge. Both of them as shown are in the OFF position.
The round dial on the right is for gas. The plunger sitting next to it is a piezo spark creator.
From memory you turn the gas dial to max and 'Push it in' Continue pushing it in for about twenty secs and WHILST STILL PUSHING ' push the plunger continuously as many times as you can do for about ten secs. Now release the Gas dial.
Inside the fridge at one of the bottom corners you will see a small apature covered with glass. Its about 15mm diameter. Have a look through the glass and, with a bit of luck, you will see a flame.
Tip. If the ambient light is too bright in the van ie it's sunny, get an empty kitchen roll tube and look down through it to the glass. It will help you see the flame.

Hang on. I've just reread your last post. That 'Pilot' IS THE FLAME!!! It doesn't change from that pilot. Thats why the gas part of the fridge is good value. You don't use much gas!

As for the electrical side of the fridge, unfortunately I cant remember which switch (Red and Green) is which but you won't come to any harm by having them both on at the same time. The 230volts won't work when you're on the move (Unless you're taking a bl00dy long lead??? and the 12v side wont work without the engine in the van running.
One last thing. Don't use the gas side when on the move.

Thats all I can help with.

After all that, Conversation started.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
OP
OP
stringa
Mar 26, 2015
lincoln
Funster No
MH
peugeot wayfarer
Exp
I`m a newbie
Emmitdb
Hello to you and thanks for that.
Today I had a small flame, it doesn't matter if I turn it up or down but it went out as we were out....this flame is only about 1 cm unless it measures in mm I can't see the difference. Does my electrical panel have anything to do with it, it's only just had a service, as I mentioned it has worked in the past ......have a rethink over a cuppa and get back to me on this one if ya can.
I've started a mini blog on my travels if you have a look, that'll be great.

Upvote 0
Sep 23, 2013
Lincs
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout
Exp
Since 2008 (started in a VW T4 campervan)
I cant remember which switch (Red and Green) is which
Red is 12v, green is 230v.

As you say, it doesn't matter all that much if you leave them both on - so long as you aren't planning to run the engine with the EHU plugged in. And there wouldn't be much point in lighting the gas if either of the electric sources were available. When I had one, I don't think I ever turned the red switch off. I might have turned the green one off, if only to make sure everything was off when plugging & unplugging the EHU.

Upvote 0

Emmit

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 14, 2009
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Pilote Explorateur
Exp
Jan.2014
Red is 12v, green is 230v.

As you say, it doesn't matter all that much if you leave them both on - so long as you aren't planning to run the engine with the EHU plugged in. And there wouldn't be much point in lighting the gas if either of the electric sources were available. When I had one, I don't think I ever turned the red switch off. I might have turned the green one off, if only to make sure everything was off when plugging & unplugging the EHU.

Hi The Caller,

I found out about the colours of the two switches and have sent them to Stringa by way of a conversation.
I don't think he's seen what was in his PM.

Regards.

Upvote 0

cruiser

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 12, 2012
northampton
Funster No
MH
coach built elddis 400
Exp
since 1978
yes I have tried that. but thanks . my drive is a bit steep. I am going to put it up on some ramps. @glenn2926 .(y)(y)

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back