Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
I am not technical enough to have an answer to your question

However, they make 2 types, must be a reason

You need one to start the engine and another for everything else, I recommend you get a leisure battery for the everything else bits (y)

If you go for more expensive gel types make sure your charger is suitable, probably best to stick with standard acid types and fit the vent tube if inside :)(y)

Last edited:
H

Hagstrom

Deleted User
I understand the new Varta/Bosch Silver Dynamic batteries have been developed for both functions, deep cycle and vehicle start, for cars which now have switch off when stationary and start automatically when you press the accelerator. I believe they are good value.

JeanLuc

Free Member
Nov 17, 2008
Warwickshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer B630 Star-Line
Exp
Since 2007
I spoke to Varta before replacing my leisure batteries last year and they advised against fitting the Silver Dynamic battery for leisure / habitation use. They make a range of batteries designed for the purpose.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Doctor Dave

Free Member
May 18, 2015
Wiltshire
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
7 years followed by a break of 11 years and then 4+ years but given up now
When I had a narrowboat I needed to replace all of my batteries - 1 x engine start and 4 x domestic. I went to a local tyre / battery dealer and after a long conversation re so called leisure batteries, and him talking to the manufacturers, I was advised to use lorry batteries (4 x 115 amphour) so that is what I did. Got a free engine start battery when I bought the lorry batteries as well! When I was out cruising (4 months at a time) I had an inverter running 24/7 to power a deep freeze, also had a 12 volt fridge working the whole time and even if we stayed in one place for 3 days never needed to run the engine for battery charging. I used to top up the batteries with distilled water about once a month and when I sold the boat at the end of last year the batteries were eight years old and still going strong. So as far as I am concerned so called leisure batteries could be a waste of money - go for normal lead acid ones and look after them.

Dave

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
battery technology has moved on in the last couple of years. Lead calcium batteries have near to double the recharge cycles of normal leisure batteries and some can be used as dual use. Engine batteries will do the job short term but wont last

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
When I had a narrowboat I needed to replace all of my batteries - 1 x engine start and 4 x domestic. I went to a local tyre / battery dealer and after a long conversation re so called leisure batteries, and him talking to the manufacturers, I was advised to use lorry batteries (4 x 115 amphour) so that is what I did. Got a free engine start battery when I bought the lorry batteries as well! When I was out cruising (4 months at a time) I had an inverter running 24/7 to power a deep freeze, also had a 12 volt fridge working the whole time and even if we stayed in one place for 3 days never needed to run the engine for battery charging. I used to top up the batteries with distilled water about once a month and when I sold the boat at the end of last year the batteries were eight years old and still going strong. So as far as I am concerned so called leisure batteries could be a waste of money - go for normal lead acid ones and look after them.

Dave
agree totally i find i get lots of years out of truck batteries same as you . have over the years tried alsorts and had friends try different things but truck wet acid does seem to win .
mine are running an inverter almost 365 days a year. off solar panels .either when away in the truck.trailer ,or at home i run a lead into the house and power house fridge /freezer and a few odd items if its sunny. last batteries 6 years .

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back