Thought I'd buy a new sat nav......... (1 Viewer)

Allanm

Free Member
Jun 30, 2013
Cotes d'armor, France
Funster No
MH
Burstner Harmony TI 736 G
Exp
Since 1987
I currently have a Garmin Dezl 760 and a Roadhawk HD dash cam in the van. I thought I would treat myself to a Garmin NuviCam and have the dash cam and satnav in one. It also has an alarm if you drift over the white lines and forward collision warnings! Sounds like fun!
So, the NuviCam came last week, I connected it to my laptop to update the software and maps. 30+ hours later it was ready! ( we have a very slow broadband connection, less than 1 Mbps )
Set off for Brittany on Wednesday with new satnav in place and all seemed to be going well. Got to our first aire and the satnav was showing the camera view overlaid with the purple lines and arrows for our destination.
Smart!
But, as we got back on the road on Thursday, it became increasingly annoying to hear the alarm going off every few minutes when it thought I was getting within a metre of the white lines and the collision alarm going off every time a car overtook and pulled in front. It even went off on its own with nothing in front or when we approached a bridge over the road.
Not to worry, our next stop gave me the opportunity to adjust the sensitivity and align the camera properly.
Back on the road, it was just the same, with the added annoyance that it kept telling me to leave the Pont de Normandy because the N175 was closed. ( N175 is by Mont St Michel, a couple of hundred Km away)
Just to check, Mrs A turned on our old satnav, no warning for the closed road, so we kept going. It turned out there was no road closure when we got there and no sign of there ever being one, just the possibility of a 1 minute delay. There was no delay either.
So, the old satnav and dash cam is back on the windscreen, NuviCam relegated to one of the lockers.
Some things are just too damn smart.

ianandkath

Free Member
Jun 4, 2015
spain/uk
Funster No
MH
a class
Exp
2 years
you need a young teenager to set it up for you ,, that age is great with tech stuff.lol

OP
OP
Allanm

Allanm

Free Member
Jun 30, 2013
Cotes d'armor, France
Funster No
MH
Exp
Since 1987
Forgot to mention, it doesn't like detours either. After we stopped at the aire, we set off trying to find the A28. The road was closed, with a diversion that went on for about 20 miles. For 18 of those miles, it was telling me to make a U turn or turn off to get back on the original road. We ignored it and followed the divetsion signs.
With 2 miles to go, the satnav reluctantly conceded that we were going the right way.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

sdc77

Free Member
Jan 28, 2013
Weardale, Co Durham
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
since 2011
Forgot to mention, it doesn't like detours either. After we stopped at the aire, we set off trying to find the A28. The road was closed, with a diversion that went on for about 20 miles. For 18 of those miles, it was telling me to make a U turn or turn off to get back on the original road. We ignored it and followed the divetsion signs.
With 2 miles to go, the satnav reluctantly conceded that we were going the right way.

Ours can do that if it's using camper size settings ..

OP
OP
Allanm

Allanm

Free Member
Jun 30, 2013
Cotes d'armor, France
Funster No
MH
Exp
Since 1987
Ours can do that if it's using camper size settings ..
It doesnt have the camper size settings, it thinks we are a car!
My Dezl will take me on all sorts of detours avoiding roads too narrow for the van, and then, just for fun, it will try to take me down a very narrow farm track....

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back