Free Member
May 8, 2015
Brittany
Funster No
MH
Hymer E650
Exp
New
i just replaced my old water pump with a Reich model as the water pressure wasn't really good enough to use the shower. What a disappointment when I turned the water on, it was just the same. Both pumps say they pump 19 L min. but I'm sure that's not the flow from the taps. Any ideas?

JeanLuc

Free Member
Nov 17, 2008
Warwickshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer B630 Star-Line
Exp
Since 2007
I have the same pump I think (Reich twin barrelled 19 l/m flow). The flow rate is really good. Try switching the connection terminals at the block: I have heard reports that swapping them over can affect the flow.

Mar 16, 2010
Carmarthenshire
Funster No
MH
In between
Exp
Since 1988
We have the reich pump and our pressure is really good

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

WAG2CRU

Free Member
May 31, 2012
Argyll
Funster No
MH
Hymer B654SL Star Edition
Exp
since2012
I agree with Jean Luc, if the connections are reversed, the pressure will be limited.

JeanLuc

Free Member
Nov 17, 2008
Warwickshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer B630 Star-Line
Exp
Since 2007
Have you checked the pipes for any signs of blockage? Might you have a lime scale build up somewhere - are both hot and cold flows poor? If hot is poor but cold is OK that would suggest lime scale. Obviously mixer taps can get clogged up affecting both. I cannot think of anything else to check.

trekkin

Free Member
Sep 12, 2014
Staffordshire
Funster No
MH
Rv
Exp
5 years but still learning
Does the tank need a breather?

Sucking water out of the tank needs to be replaced by air, not sure of your van, but is the flow improved with the filler cap off?

OP
OP
paulel

paulel

Free Member
May 8, 2015
Brittany
Funster No
MH
Hymer E650
Exp
New
Have you checked the pipes for any signs of blockage? Might you have a lime scale build up somewhere - are both hot and cold flows poor? If hot is poor but cold is OK that would suggest lime scale. Obviously mixer taps can get clogged up affecting both. I cannot think of anything else to check.
Hot and cold slow, hot more so. I guess I could put the pump in a bowl of de scaler.

OP
OP
paulel

paulel

Free Member
May 8, 2015
Brittany
Funster No
MH
Hymer E650
Exp
New
Does the tank need a breather?

Sucking water out of the tank needs to be replaced by air, not sure of your van, but is the flow improved with the filler cap off?
Yes my tank has a breather. I'll check that it's not blocked.

OP
OP
paulel

paulel

Free Member
May 8, 2015
Brittany
Funster No
MH
Hymer E650
Exp
New
Can anyone tell me, are the mixer taps on a MH the same as regular household taps?

JeanLuc

Free Member
Nov 17, 2008
Warwickshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer B630 Star-Line
Exp
Since 2007
Not usually. I am not sure about your vintage of Hymer, but by around 2000 they were fitting Reich taps.

Glandwr

Banned
Jul 10, 2014
the Berwyn Mountains
Funster No
MH
Hymer S740
Exp
since 2009
Agree with the comments about switching terminals it happened to me. Hymer, or it it Germany are strange. Their 12 volt ring main has colours transposed (from our point of view) brown is NEG and blue is POS. ALWAYS use a multimeter when working on the van.

I lived with the lower pressure but eventually the motor burnt out and I had to replace it again. Swapped the wires around hey presto it worked normally.

Dick

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Some Hymers have a non return valve on the pump some have it seperate in the pipework others have both.
Check you haven't got a duff valve restricting the flow.

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
limescale is bad in pipes, pumps and taps. limescale in the boiler is VERY expensive to fix

OP
OP
paulel

paulel

Free Member
May 8, 2015
Brittany
Funster No
MH
Hymer E650
Exp
New
I have solved my problem! I put the pump in a bowl of de-calc and ran the taps for a couple of minutes and left over night. Today I put the pump back into the tank and all is now fine, not great but much better than it was. Thanks to all for your suggestions.

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
I have solved my problem! I put the pump in a bowl of de-calc and ran the taps for a couple of minutes and left over night. Today I put the pump back into the tank and all is now fine, not great but much better than it was. Thanks to all for your suggestions.
Great if it worked, but big problems start when lumps fall off the sides of the pipes and block the boiler

John & Joan

Free Member
Mar 30, 2010
Darlington
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
10 years this time
I have just fitted a new Reich twin barrelled 19 l/m flow and have found the flow very poor. If I try to draw water just after I stop driving (Tea Stop) only a trickle comes out then nothing. This is with a full to half full tank. If I try drawing water just after filling the tank the same thing happens. If I wait a while with the pump off, I get a trickle that builds up to a poor flow. I have just had it all to bits this morning trying to see if I could find anything wrong. The water shoots out of the pump with the pipe off. The pump has a smaller outlet than the original pipework so I have had to use a reducer to connect the pump and pipework together. The wire are connected brown to brown and blue to blue. I will try reversing them later to see if the flow improves. This pump replaces a Reich 15l/m high flow that worked well for years and replaced the original twin in line pumps Hymer originally fitted which were also Reich.

Glandwr

Banned
Jul 10, 2014
the Berwyn Mountains
Funster No
MH
Hymer S740
Exp
since 2009
Try swapping the connections around. It worked for me, the twin impellers will give a head which ever they are connected. BUT one way will give you a MUCH higher pressure. You can do no damage swapping the connections.

Dick

JeanLuc

Free Member
Nov 17, 2008
Warwickshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer B630 Star-Line
Exp
Since 2007
The water shoots out of the pump with the pipe off. The pump has a smaller outlet than the original pipework so I have had to use a reducer to connect the pump and pipework together. The wire are connected brown to brown and blue to blue.
That suggests that the problem is with the pipework or its connection to the pipe, not the pump itself. Have you run the pump in its connected situation to see if there is any leakage? You may need a mirror or go by feel.
I am assuming you have the installation where the pump is suspended from the tank cap? If not, can you post a picture of your installation?

John & Joan

Free Member
Mar 30, 2010
Darlington
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
10 years this time
Hi JeanLuc. I have checked the pipework and it is OK. No kinks. It was fine with the old pump. I was about to fit another pump this morning. I put my hand inside the tank and as soon as I started to wobble the pump body about the water started to flow again. It is clear of the tank bottom in the drain well. The pipe is through the cap onto the pump with the only joint at the reducer.

I am suspecting a faulty pump myself, it has been suspect from day one. It had to be manually primed to pump anything at first, but will try the reverse connection trick. Nothing lost if it doesn't work is there. All the taps are behaving the same.

JeanLuc

Free Member
Nov 17, 2008
Warwickshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer B630 Star-Line
Exp
Since 2007
It does sound as though the pump is suspect. Just a thought - though I'm not sure this would create the symptoms you are suffering, but have you got the Reich pump with the non-return valve? The Hymer system requires this.
Here is a link to the version with the NRT - the bulge in the grey spigot.
Link Removed

John & Joan

Free Member
Mar 30, 2010
Darlington
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
10 years this time
It does sound as though the pump is suspect. Just a thought - though I'm not sure this would create the symptoms you are suffering, but have you got the Reich pump with the non-return valve? The Hymer system requires this.
Here is a link to the version with the NRT - the bulge in the grey spigot.
Link Removed

Thanks Philip for you helpful suggestions.

I have reconnect the pump Blue to Brown and Brown to Blue. The pump kicked into action with a different sound and water poured out of the taps very fast.

It looks like some of these pumps have been wired incorrectly in the factory.

I have looked at the Marcle Leisure website and I do have the one with the non return valve.

Thanks again

John

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back