WhEEL Brace needed!!! (1 Viewer)

D

dazza

Deleted User
Hi All

Having owned our RV for just over a year now, we have found out that we done have a wheel brace, if we every get a blowout and i hope we dont, then we cant change the wheel, having looked on the web i cant find anywhere that does the size we need, our wheel nuts on our Damon daybreak take a 1 inch socket! if anyone on here knows where we can get a wheel brace that big can you let me know

Thanks

Sundowners

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 30, 2007
Suffolk/Central Portugal
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
37 years
Hi
The easiest thing to get hold of is a decent size "breaker bar" with an extension (for the rear duals) and a 1" socket,
I hope you never have to use it!!!! don't forget you also need to check that your jack is OK for the weight of your M/H
Nigel

superk

Free Member
Aug 22, 2007
Devon
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion now sold
Exp
8 years
Hi All

Having owned our RV for just over a year now, we have found out that we done have a wheel brace, if we every get a blowout and i hope we dont, then we cant change the wheel, having looked on the web i cant find anywhere that does the size we need, our wheel nuts on our Damon daybreak take a 1 inch socket! if anyone on here knows where we can get a wheel brace that big can you let me know

Thanks

Don't think Americans ever expect to change their own tyres or should I say tires - roadside service for them.

:Smile:
Keith

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Yetties

Free Member
Nov 19, 2007
Radstock Nr Bath
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel
Exp
Hi

Try a commercial vehicle parts factor they may be able to help or another option is a tool store and buy a 3/4 inch drive single hexagon impact socket of the correct size and a T bar
with an extension bar long enough to access the twin wheels.

I am saying 3/4 drive so it will be strong enough single hex will be less likely to round the nuts and slip and a 3/4 T bar if you need to you can put 3ft of steel tube on the end to help you shift them.

Also make sure you are trying to undo them the correct way as a lot of commercial vehicles can be fitted with left hand thread wheel nuts on one side.

Hope this is useful

Neil

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
Try a commercial vehicle parts factor they may be able to help or another option is a tool store and buy a 3/4 inch drive single hexagon impact socket of the correct size and a T bar
with an extension bar long enough to access the twin wheels.

I am saying 3/4 drive so it will be strong enough single hex will be less likely to round the nuts and slip and a 3/4 T bar if you need to you can put 3ft of steel tube on the end to help you shift them.

Also make sure you are trying to undo them the correct way as a lot of commercial vehicles can be fitted with left hand thread wheel nuts on one side.

Hope this is useful

Neil

I bought as Neil suggested .. but I'm looking to buy a 12v impact wrench ..

pudseykeith

Free Member
Nov 5, 2007
Leeds West Riding of York
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
6 Years
Hi.
Neils advice is sound. but also buy a short extention to use on the front wheels.
Your wheels proberbly were tightened with an air tool and not torqued correctly . could I suggest that if you are unable to loosen the nuts with your new equipment, ask your local tyre bay to back off your wheel nuts with their air tools and the re tighten using your new socket and bars. They will charge a few quid, but will be well worth the cost if you have to change a wheel at the road side.

pudseykeith :thumb:

Last edited:

moandick

Free Member
Jul 28, 2007
Landrake, Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Euro-shed
Exp
40 +
We faced exactly that problem when on tour in Ireland with our Monaco Cayman - no wheel brace (we had one wrapped up which I thought was the wheel brace but it turned out to be the brace which took off the wheel liners, not the actual wheel) and a flat tyre.

Luckily we were outside a major tyre dealer but even he did not have a 1½ inch AF socket so he went off to a mate of his who ran an Agricultural workshop where they had plenty! (Ours turned out to be a 33mm socket!)

He put an 18 inch extension bar onto the socket followed by a T bar - and then a 6ft length of scaffold tube - easy-peasy - then checked with a torque wrench.

I would suggest a trip to Halfords first but if that doesn't work then find your nearest 'Snap-on' dealer or Agricultural dealership - and don't forget that 6 ft length of scaffold piping.

Apr 7, 2008
based in North Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
swift kontiki 650
Exp
11yrs
Wheel brace

We also have a Damon Daybreak 3270 and had a blow out, while we were parked thank goodness. We also didnt have a wheel brace. We went to our local wood autos and bought a strong bar and a 1" socket which did the business. Im sure they have a website so you could find a local branch.:Smile:

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
Jim
if the 12 VOlt impact gun is for your wheel nuts you had better dig very very deep into those pockes:whatthe: or be prepared to be very very very disapointed:Doh:
Geo

Jul 29, 2007
Ipswich
Funster No
MH
RV and PVC
Exp
30 years
I bought as Neil suggested .. but I'm looking to buy a 12v impact wrench ..

Seen then at the shows Jim, seeing as how we used to use an 1" drive air wrench at 120psi, I am not convinced they could do the job.

Olley

S

sinbad1

Deleted User
Seen then at the shows Jim, seeing as how we used to use an 1" drive air wrench at 120psi, I am not convinced they could do the job.

Olley

I have one of these 12v impact drivers bought it from aldi some time ago, it does undo my 24mm wheel nuts ;but does take its time to do this. IMO they may not be suitable for RV's

Regards

Sundowners

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 30, 2007
Suffolk/Central Portugal
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
37 years
I use my wheel-brace to "crack" the wheelnuts, then my 12volt impact-driver to do the rest, on re-tightening I do the reverse, it is VERY important not to overtighten wheelnuts.
This is a contentious issue------------- but------------------ I always use grease or coppercote on the studs, I worked as a tyre-fitter (and drove trucks) in Australia/England and proved beyond any doubt (to me) that this is essential.
Nigel

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
I have one of these 12v impact drivers bought it from aldi some time ago, it does undo my 24mm wheel nuts ;but does take its time to do this. IMO they may not be suitable for RV's

Regards

Yes indeed, 1/2 drive may not be man enough, but there are 3/4 " drive 12v impact drivers that can do the job.. or I could buy a pneumatic and use the on board air tanks.

moandick

Free Member
Jul 28, 2007
Landrake, Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Euro-shed
Exp
40 +
I have the ¾ in drive gun with enough hose to reach from the front of the RV to the rear wheels but I have been warned that the RV air tanks may not be large enough to cope with the demand - so I still have to break the nuts by hand and then use the gun to remove them.

Never had the need to try it yet so I am open to debate on the size of the Air Tanks (bearing in mind I have "air over hydraulic" brakes and "6 air bags" suspension rather than full air brakes and suspension).

Looking at the air tools in Aldi today - can I use my air line to 'drive' some of these tools e.g. the saw?

Oooops, sorry Dazza - just realised I have probably stolen your post - my apologies, I withdraw my post to another section!

Last edited:
S

sinbad1

Deleted User
Yes indeed, 1/2 drive may not be man enough, but there are 3/4 " drive 12v impact drivers that can do the job.. or I could buy a pneumatic and use the on board air tanks.

You could be right Jim, Had it for a while now 1/2" drive, as you say 3/4 would be better,think it only cost about £20, not bad really it came with batt leads and a set of sockets.

To be fair it did remove the 24mm nuts albeit slow, still a handy tool:thumb:

If you have enough pressure in your onboard tanks be worth trying the pneumatic route.

Regards

45eEver

Free Member
Apr 15, 2009
Funster No
Daza, I suggest you use a 3/4 knuckle wrench and the correct socket, along with a 3 to 5ft length of scaffolding tube to crack wheel nuts.
Then run them off with a knuckle wrench on it's own.
When you're stuck on a rainy night, with the wind driving it sideways.
The scaffolding tube makes short work of shifting tight nuts.

I recommend that you tighten wheel nuts with a torque wrench.
And that you don't use a tyre shop that doesn't tighten with a torque wrench.

To give you some idea what your up against, a pro-tyreman's torque wrench is the best part of 5ft long.
But they weigh a ton.

I suggest you keep a decent pair of work gloves with your wheel brace, and a folding shovel.
The folding shovel is useful to lift a heavy tyre that little bit.
If you use your foot on the end of the spade handle, you've got two hands free to manoeuvre the wheel onto the studs, or in place over the threaded holes ready for the wheel bolts.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back