The tribulations of trying to get insurance for German import (1 Viewer)

May 8, 2010
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2010
Now that the purchase of our new German motorhome has been finalised, I thought I'd share our experience of trying to insure it on the vin number.

The advice and information on Fun, including that on insurance, has been invaluable to us through the whole process of buying the van, and we are very grateful. We couldn't have done it without you!

So here's our experience of getting insurance.

Comfort - Call centre unable to understand what we were talking about
NFU - 'We only do it for existing cutomers' (We're not existing customers)
Saga -'We don't do it' (We were existing customers)
AIB (recommended as offering discount to Fun members) 'We don't do it. We only insure vehicles once they've been registered with British plates. It's not usual for individuals to import a vehicle. It's normally just dealers who do it. We've never heard of Motorhome Fun.'
Safeguard - Helpful, knowledgeable and reasonably-priced!

mid4did

Free Member
Sep 29, 2012
N.somerset
Funster No
MH
Hymer Tramp R 655 GT
Exp
started in a minivan 1970's when I could fit into it.
I used Safeguard when I brought my dethleffs over a few years back but found Grove and Dean cheaper this year with the hymer,perhaps not so well known but as with Safeguard friendly knowledgable and no quibbles when I mailed back afterwards to correct the reg number which I,d typed in incorrectly.

Abacist

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 15, 2013
Devon
Funster No
MH
N & B Tag Axle
Exp
since 2013
Please clarify if you are getting insurance from the point of collection in Germany, the dockside of the UK port or from the date of registration with UK plates and are you talking about comprehensive or third party insurance? This is too vague at present.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Mia raf

Free Member
Aug 4, 2015
France
Funster No
MH
Fiat Veicoli
Exp
Since 2006
Our MH is a 1980 Fiat iveculo or iveco, just purchased in Germany July 15th (I think) and we got one month plates which are renewable for 15€ every time, insurance and members plus ( we have children) with ADAC., and now we had a breakdown and stuck back in france where I am from and need to send the plates back to the dealer to extend them this month,

ADAC is a HUGE motor club, they do well for anyone inside Germany, but outside their partners are horrible, maybe not as back in the UK but in France ACTA assistance their French buddies abandoned us 20 kl near sant flour after they learned our plates where expiring in August, we here naive to trust them, we explained that we decided to take a trip to Spain and told the movers to meet before they left so we can check everything, pick up any mail not forwarded to our new address like my replacement bank card which I need after my bag was stolen in Nuremberg, instead of helping us they said they had to ask, no offers to get a taxi, train plane or transport the MH back and instead the garage told us water was at a near by cemetery and if we want any we can walk 1 kilometer with my children ( 1 year old, 7, and 8 year old) to get it, near grave yards, and the garage said adac will not provide taxi or hotel but instead transport the motorhome to germany or scrap it suggesting the value was not worthy of repair or transport, then we showed the bill of sale which was 9000€, a TUV and a bill of sake for a full motorhome inspection and they waited another two days, as if they where hoping to starve us out of our motorhome or hoped we run out of water or power, lucky us we have three great solar panels which not only provided power to our lights and frig but also able to keep our iPhones iPads and booster fully charged, as well as a 11kg gas tank to cook and pasta, but bread ran out, chocolate milk ran out, the kids where starting to go nuts, we demanded a explanation since adac knew our phone would also be cut on the 31st of the month wen we had moved from france to germany and instead they insisted that the secretary at the garage is responsible for telling the that our motorhome was a old truck that should be scrapped.

We went into the garage and played our recorded phone conversation, the woman went crazy, she called them panicking to tell them off and they said it again, they told her she said this and normally scrapping this motorhome was the best choice, but they added that my husband left me and the kids to return to germany with a taxi, she told them it's impossible and that he was tanning in front of her, demanding they arrange a taxi to a train or transport the motorhome back to germany but they insisted that she told the this and it can't be changed in the computer, later the dealer from germany called angry with a friend for adac who told us the garage and ACTA where trying to snatch the motorhome for us like nazis, been my husband has a Greek like name they descriminated him at their call center in Barcelona, they happened to know a employee there who said that they where joking about starving the whole family out of the motorhome suggesting they will give up the idea of transporting it back to germany and have the head casket fixed, they kept saying go away Jew Greek! He recorded them to report this Becuase they had asked us for photos of the motorhome to evaluate it themselves at one point and the employee see our wonderful innocent children and realized they where bastards, his own words,

So we finally made a deal with the owner of this garage, towing and scraping company that fixes nothing but flat tyres, he agreed to get 1000€ from ACTA and ADAC to transport our motorhome to france with us in the back, ACTA wanted us to give them a detail description of what happened by email while refusing to send any emails confirming what they will pay for, they agreed that once in france they will have nothing to do with this motorhome but get us a train, plane or car back to germany, but they decided to get a car for only 48 hours, and they knew my bank card was stolen and some how eve after the car rental agreed to accept a photo copy with a police decleration and a phone number to call in france they decided not to let us a car, nice. Again avoiding to do anything for us, we asked the call center in Barcelona what the hell happened but they said another call center started to deal with this, they found out from someone that we knew they where racists morons, assuming we are Greek and depicting us as if we where trying to get something for free while abandoning a whole family for a week to steal their motorhome,

Adac calls us back from Munich and a British germany lady was kind enough to tell us they will review evidence of the misbehavioir which left them shocked and get to us back in germany where our children will soon start school, but I have to tell you it was a horrible turn off, we are French, this was a taste of something we hope we do not see in germany but sadly the dealer told us we will see worse once we get back, but to stick to the op here I just wanted to give you an idea if what these insurance companies do for you outside your resided country of membership, I yet to find anyone from the UK who convinced me they where fully covered., I got my fingers crossed, so far I see that the vehicles have to have a UK MOT, address and more to even talk about it., if it exists IDE be glad to pay them 1000€ a year Becuase our home insurance is that much in france.

Good luck and do share info

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
Our MH is a 1980 Fiat iveculo or iveco, just purchased in Germany July 15th (I think) and we got one month plates which are renewable for 15€ every time, insurance and members plus ( we have children) with ADAC., and now we had a breakdown and stuck back in france where I am from and need to send the plates back to the dealer to extend them this month,

ADAC is a HUGE motor club, they do well for anyone inside Germany, but outside their partners are horrible, maybe not as back in the UK but in France ACTA assistance their French buddies abandoned us 20 kl near sant flour after they learned our plates where expiring in August, we here naive to trust them, we explained that we decided to take a trip to Spain and told the movers to meet before they left so we can check everything, pick up any mail not forwarded to our new address like my replacement bank card which I need after my bag was stolen in Nuremberg, instead of helping us they said they had to ask, no offers to get a taxi, train plane or transport the MH back and instead the garage told us water was at a near by cemetery and if we want any we can walk 1 kilometer with my children ( 1 year old, 7, and 8 year old) to get it, near grave yards, and the garage said adac will not provide taxi or hotel but instead transport the motorhome to germany or scrap it suggesting the value was not worthy of repair or transport, then we showed the bill of sale which was 9000€, a TUV and a bill of sake for a full motorhome inspection and they waited another two days, as if they where hoping to starve us out of our motorhome or hoped we run out of water or power, lucky us we have three great solar panels which not only provided power to our lights and frig but also able to keep our iPhones iPads and booster fully charged, as well as a 11kg gas tank to cook and pasta, but bread ran out, chocolate milk ran out, the kids where starting to go nuts, we demanded a explanation since adac knew our phone would also be cut on the 31st of the month wen we had moved from france to germany and instead they insisted that the secretary at the garage is responsible for telling the that our motorhome was a old truck that should be scrapped.

We went into the garage and played our recorded phone conversation, the woman went crazy, she called them panicking to tell them off and they said it again, they told her she said this and normally scrapping this motorhome was the best choice, but they added that my husband left me and the kids to return to germany with a taxi, she told them it's impossible and that he was tanning in front of her, demanding they arrange a taxi to a train or transport the motorhome back to germany but they insisted that she told the this and it can't be changed in the computer, later the dealer from germany called angry with a friend for adac who told us the garage and ACTA where trying to snatch the motorhome for us like nazis, been my husband has a Greek like name they descriminated him at their call center in Barcelona, they happened to know a employee there who said that they where joking about starving the whole family out of the motorhome suggesting they will give up the idea of transporting it back to germany and have the head casket fixed, they kept saying go away Jew Greek! He recorded them to report this Becuase they had asked us for photos of the motorhome to evaluate it themselves at one point and the employee see our wonderful innocent children and realized they where bastards, his own words,

So we finally made a deal with the owner of this garage, towing and scraping company that fixes nothing but flat tyres, he agreed to get 1000€ from ACTA and ADAC to transport our motorhome to france with us in the back, ACTA wanted us to give them a detail description of what happened by email while refusing to send any emails confirming what they will pay for, they agreed that once in france they will have nothing to do with this motorhome but get us a train, plane or car back to germany, but they decided to get a car for only 48 hours, and they knew my bank card was stolen and some how eve after the car rental agreed to accept a photo copy with a police decleration and a phone number to call in france they decided not to let us a car, nice. Again avoiding to do anything for us, we asked the call center in Barcelona what the hell happened but they said another call center started to deal with this, they found out from someone that we knew they where racists morons, assuming we are Greek and depicting us as if we where trying to get something for free while abandoning a whole family for a week to steal their motorhome,

Adac calls us back from Munich and a British germany lady was kind enough to tell us they will review evidence of the misbehavioir which left them shocked and get to us back in germany where our children will soon start school, but I have to tell you it was a horrible turn off, we are French, this was a taste of something we hope we do not see in germany but sadly the dealer told us we will see worse once we get back, but to stick to the op here I just wanted to give you an idea if what these insurance companies do for you outside your resided country of membership, I yet to find anyone from the UK who convinced me they where fully covered., I got my fingers crossed, so far I see that the vehicles have to have a UK MOT, address and more to even talk about it., if it exists IDE be glad to pay them 1000€ a year Becuase our home insurance is that much in france.

3rd party cover and export plates easily arranged in germany. Valid Europe wide.

For full comp on VIN Safeguard safeguard safeguard.... Why put yourself through it:)

Portland

Free Member
Oct 31, 2013
Conwy
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
20 years
I am with Saga and they do, do it its just a matter of getting someone who knows what they are talking about and think a little more out of the box.

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp

I am not sure what sort of cover you expect. If my vehicle breaks down outside the UK they will recover it to a garage where it can be repaired but I would have to pay for the repair.

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
I am not sure what sort of cover you expect. If my vehicle breaks down outside the UK they will recover it to a garage where it can be repaired but I would have to pay for the repair.

Agree... + With children you really need travel insurance...ADAC are a business not a charity and your children's welfare your responsibility to be honest...

Mia raf

Free Member
Aug 4, 2015
France
Funster No
MH
Fiat Veicoli
Exp
Since 2006
Agree... + With children you really need travel insurance...ADAC are a business not a charity and your children's welfare your responsibility to be honest...
total BS, your opinion about anyone seek charity is narrow minded, we have a Members plus with ADAC, it covers FAMILIES, CHILDREN UNDER 18, I guess you did not read the members plus agreement Becuase you probably do not have children under 18 traveling with you, they did nothing that they where supposed to but wait suggest to scrap our motorhome to profit of the misfortune worse then trying to live of charity, adac staff I germany even admitted they had issues I the region we where with their French partners, they been used before about this.

Instead of offering solutions they lied, even when we clearly told the where we where, they knew the garage very well, both the garage and insurance in france for adac where in cahoots to get our motorhome and resell it, several truck drivers who changed garages said the same exact thing, that they wanted to starve us out of our motorhome like the nazis did to Greece during the second war, offering taxi only if we scrapped it even after the dealer, police and mechanic wrote letters to assure the real value of it was well over 3000€

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
I am with Saga and they do, do it its just a matter of getting someone who knows what they are talking about and think a little more out of the box.

Have imported many times and your right. I have had to call back numerous times to get proper advice.... As " the computer says no" is a ofton trprsyed phrase from new front of house staff

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
Please clarify if you are getting insurance from the point of collection in Germany, the dockside of the UK port or from the date of registration with UK plates and are you talking about comprehensive or third party insurance? This is too vague at present.

Normally you drive back to port on temp 3rd part cover arranged by dealer Then when you hit uk soil prearranged fully comp kicks in. (Arranged on vin plate)

John & Joan

Free Member
Mar 30, 2010
Darlington
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
10 years this time
We imported our 1992 Hymer S700 in 2006. We also got a 30 day German export plate that includes insurance. Comfort only covered the Hymer once we were in the UK and undergoing the process of UK registration.

I had to use the export plate insurance, as I had an accident with a parked car and our van step in Aachen on the first night. The German Police completed an accident claim form for us and gave a copy to the car owner. We sent the form to the address in Germany. That was the end of the issue as far as we were concerned, apart from having to pay to replace our step ourselves.

As far as I understood the export plate was for that purpose only and was not renewable. Once in your own country you have to register and insure there.

We have had good service and claims/breakdown response on more than one occasion from Comfort both at home and on the continent. We now have full time cover and tour the continent (France and Spain) for months each winter.

Debra Foster

Free Member
Aug 7, 2015
London
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Parents own
R
interesting, my cousin applied for the members plus edition of ADAC and when they had a breakdown all accomindation where paid for, their hotel, taxi on daily basis including repairing their car which costed 1,200€., the breakdown also happened in Spain, maybe france is the reason you had these problems.

And I also purchased my Hymer in Germany, Munich., I had one month plates and renewed them 2 times, iam now back in the UK and to be honest, I rather keep the German plates., which I will renew for year next time., you can google allot of info about german export or so called temporary plates, here is a link https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vehicle_registration_plates_of_Germany
Temporary plates are not just for exporting vehicles, they are for many reasons, it's a great idea.

Debra Foster

Free Member
Aug 7, 2015
London
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Parents own
A
Adac members plus info http://lifelessonsmilitarywife.com/?p=3344

You real should read the policies they have,
After an accident or if your car becomes unroadworthy and can’t be driven or fixed within a day, ADAC will pay as long as you are 50 kilometers from home:

• First class train for you, your occupants and all your luggage roundtrip to your destination or back home. You’ll also get the train costs for one person to go from your home to go get the vehicle after it is repaired.
  • If you are more than 1200 km from home, you can choose to fly economy class, you and all your occupants and your luggage to get home.
  • Or instead of flying or taking the train, ADAC will pay for a rental car for you and your occupants, not to exceed seven days while your car is getting fixed. You must rent the car through ADAC Autovermietung GmbH. If the accident or incident happens outside of Germany, you will be covered for a rental car up to 500 euro. For in country, they will cover 52 euro a day up to 7 days or 364 euros. You do have to leave a deposit for using their vehicle.
  • As proof of your incident you do need a repair estimate and a police report if such is warranted, like you would receive in an accident.
And that sums it up!

Remember, we can sign up for ADAC roadside assistance as military overseas. There are different levels of service. We chose the ADAC Plus, because it has more benefits for couples and those with families. Think about all the driving you do all over Europe. We lived in Belgium for a time and were STILL able to use ADAC, even though it is based in Germany. If you are going stateside for a trip, you can use their services to find hotel deals as well as rental cars and be covered in ANY vehicle you are a passenger in (make sure you copy down the stateside #). Do you ski? Have you ever thought who would pay to get you airlifted off the mountain should you have an accident? Let me tell you…it won’t be Tricare! ADAC Plus will cover you. What about if you get sick on that cruise or when you are out of country and need to be airlifted back home? You’re covered. ADAC frequently does consumer-report-like reports on all kinds of products that have to do with your car and driving. I do read those. They have discount amusement park tickets. There are just so many things ADAC can help you with overseas, it would be almost criminal not to use them.

I know many of you pay a few dollars extra in insurance to get the USAA roadside assistance. Do you have the phone # you would call for that in every country you travel in? Are they open 24 hours? Are you prepared to pay upfront and get reimbursed later? I think you are only covered up to $50, not 50 euros. I can’t think of any tow that would be that cheap in Europe. Trust me, you get so much more with ADAC. I sound like a walking commercial, but seriously, I still remember a lady I met in the lobby of the Marriott Sindelfingen, whose car was in their parking garage and wouldn’t run. She didn’t have ADAC nor USAA and had just picked up her car a few days before. She ended up paying over 100 euro for a tow that went to Panzer Kaserne, a 10 minute drive away at most…to the AAFES Car Care Center there. When I saw her later that day, she had already stopped by the USO Stuttgart to get her ADAC membership. FYI, her ADAC membership would’ve been cheaper than this tow! I mention the Stuttgart USO, because if you use one of the order forms they have on site, they will get a small cut for signing you up. There are also ADAC offices all over Germany you can sign up in.

Some of these areas on their website are member only pages, so be sure you have your member number and password. I had to specifically ask for mine when I signed up. Oh and some things on their website you can get in smartphone apps as well. Do a search for ADAC in the ITunes Store to see (yes, even the American ITunes Store).

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
And what good is "50 km from home" when touring in Europe...its hardly a motorhome policy more for cars surely?

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
I inquired with saga last year, they said they would only cover it on a vin plate providing the wheels did not touch the road (their words) i.e. on a transporter.
Comfort will only insure on a vin if you are a dealer.

Used NFU for cover once on UK soil, once registered cancelleed and went back to Comfort as it was half the price.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
And I also purchased my Hymer in Germany, Munich., I had one month plates and renewed them 2 times, iam now back in the UK and to be honest, I rather keep the German plates., which I will renew for year next time., you can google allot of info about german export or so called temporary plates, here is a link https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vehicle_registration_plates_of_Germany
Temporary plates are not just for exporting vehicles, they are for many reasons, it's a great idea.
It is illegal for a UK citizen to drive a vehicle that is registered in another country in the UK.

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
It is illegal for a UK citizen to drive a vehicle that is registered in another country in the UK.

Correct as long as they are a UK resident. I'm not ,therefore it doesn't apply to me .When back home I cannot drive anything other than a Spanish vehicle.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Correct as long as they are a UK resident. I'm not ,therefore it doesn't apply to me .When back home I cannot drive anything other than a Spanish vehicle.
Incorrect choice of works by me should have said resident not citizen.

Delilah

Free Member
May 31, 2016
Bath
Funster No
MH
a class Hymer
Exp
Motorhome New but experienced caravan her
I have bought hymer mh from dealer in germany i can bring it back on dealers export plates with 3rd party insurance is 250 euro he is throwing that in free and then i think can get cover adrien flux on vin no once its in uk, but i cant find any Fully comp policies to cover it to drive across europe anyone able to help?

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Try Lime Street Brokers otherwise have a search on Google.nl there is a Dutch company that does it expensive €500 + for 30 days.

Mar 10, 2016
Scotland
Funster No
MH
A Class RMB 750HE
Exp
Three years and counting, 30 years a tent tower.
I have bought hymer mh from dealer in germany i can bring it back on dealers export plates with 3rd party insurance is 250 euro he is throwing that in free and then i think can get cover adrien flux on vin no once its in uk, but i cant find any Fully comp policies to cover it to drive across europe anyone able to help?
I gave up in the end trying to find such insurance and drove back on the German 3rd party insurance and British insurer fully comp on the VIN from the point of arrival in UK. Adrian Flux will cover on VIN as will several others, problem is getting one long enough to cover time taken for DVLA to issue your new reg. No.
It's a ridiculous situation and shows how archaic UK insurers are despite all the promises in their adverts about covering unusual situations. It's just another computer says no mindset.

robert09

Free Member
Jul 15, 2020
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2015
Would the German dealer 'drive home' insurance cover you for third party in the UK also till you got home. Then insure with UK insurer once you have it registered?

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back