Where cn I obtain "bound" replacement carpet for the van? (1 Viewer)

Mar 21, 2010
Funster No
Where can I find a firm who will bind carpets, the same as already in our van. The ones we have are now five years old and a bit tatty!

colyboy

Southdowners

Free Member
May 7, 2015
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Concorde Charisma
Exp
Since May 2015
It might be worth asking at an independent carpet shop. Years ago I had a piece which was left over from carpeting a room and they shaped and whip stitched for me to use in front of the cat flap.

I guess if you take all your old carpets in they might cut them out and whip stitch each piece. I wouldn't mind having a spare set as ours are a stupid colour (ivory) and no doubt will get dirty very quickly - will be watching this thread with interest!

Dave and Ginny

Free Member
Jan 31, 2013
Nottingham
Funster No
MH
Hymer Starline 680
Exp
Since 2011, previously a tugger
I know it's not an answer to your question :rolleyes:...but, having had our's re-upholstered I replaced the fitted carpets myself, £30 for felt back from Carpet Right and used existing as a template. Very happy with the result and enough left over for a second set :)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Feb 9, 2008
SW Scotland
Funster No
MH
LP Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2008 after caravanning for 20 years
We used a local carpet shop, £60 including whipping round the edge. Just chose a suitable roll end. Excellent job, looks like new.

Cal54

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 25, 2014
Southport, UK
Funster No
MH
Leisuredrive Renoir
Exp
Since 1996
Your avatar doesn't mention your location @colyboy however if you are up north there is certainly a place in Lancaster that will do this. You provide the template and pick a carpet they then cut and whip.

parknride

Free Member
Jan 21, 2014
cumbria
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
since 1988
We bought a roll end of flotex, used the original as templates, cut with good scissors. Job done. Doesn't fray no need to bind. Scrubs up great and is light and easy to handle.

Mar 29, 2011
Rugby UK
Funster No
MH
C Class RS
Exp
Spoke to a guy in the carpet shop and he had a sample book with exactly the same non slip carpet that was the original Hobby one, took the old set in for a template and he cut new to shape and had the edges bound, think it was about £200

Ethle the wondervan

Free Member
Mar 13, 2015
Peak District
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
One year
Where can I find a firm who will bind carpets, the same as already in our van. The ones we have are now five years old and a bit tatty!

colyboy

Why does your picture look like you are playing with yourself?
Is that what you mean by 'flying the flag for Devon?
Or did you think this was a different kind of forum?

No offence intended, just wondering! :X3:

Gellyneck

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
More than toes wet now!
Original carpeting (new) rolled up in poly tubing in loft to give to next owners when we sell.
Carpet tiles fully fitted with none of the dirt trapping gaps that you get around the original carpets.

Styx

Free Member
May 1, 2010
Buckinghamshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
since 2007
I seem to remember having a workaday carpet cut from a roll end, using the original as a template, then sitting painting *rubber solution glue on all the raw edges to stop it fraying

*copydex for everyone who didn't watch Blue Peter back in the day

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
theres a carpet binder in most big towns. last time i checked about 30 - 50pence per foot. any carpet fitter will cut to shape and get them bound for you

Feb 22, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Nearly Tugging
Exp
Since 2004
We recently had some done. We bought the carpet at Carpetright who arranged the "whipping" once we had cut to size and shape.
Quite straightforward and a good result.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
I used a very large dark grey mottled rubber backed 'dirt grabber' mat I got at a car boot sale/market - the large ones that are hired out 'on contract' and replaced every so often regardless of how dirty/worn they are. The one I got looked like new and cost, I think, about £12 and was big enough to do the vast majority of our PVC flooring - easy to cut to shape, can be washed (if cut into smaller pieces can be done in a washing machine) and has the benefit that if you spill anything on it, it doesn't go through to the floor underneath so is much easier to clean up.

In our last PVC I did the same thing and had a nice 'green grass' colour .... fortunately the dogs never mistook it for the real thing! :rolleyes:

Feb 22, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Nearly Tugging
Exp
Since 2004
BTW cost of whipping was £5 linear metre.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back