Jul 31, 2015
Kent
Funster No
MH
"Don't own one yet"
Exp
" I'm a newbie"
Hi all,
My Ducato 2.0 JTD 11 (2003) has failed it's MOT with "slight play" in one front bearing, I've seen posts on here asking about bearing torque settings etc.. but now answer as to taper bearing or not.
If this is a taper bearing can I simply use a 41mm socket and give it a "tweek" or is it a replacement?
There's no noise or rumble from the bearing just a bit of slack (sleeved nut [knock to lock] not castle and pin)
Any help appreciated
John

OP
OP
J

Jacflash

Free Member
Jul 31, 2015
Kent
Funster No
MH
"Don't own one yet"
Exp
" I'm a newbie"
Hi Stealaway,
Thank you for your reply, every time I need to do something on this vehicle it turns out to be a real sod!! I've only just run it in! (207500 miles...:rolleyes: ) It's my only vehicle so it does get the mileage, so I shouldn't complain, just like buses all the expenses arrive at one time too! ..... so best course of action.... take it to "Fred in a shed" or get it into kit form and and have it pressed etc.. and do the rest myself..?
John

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
J

Jacflash

Free Member
Jul 31, 2015
Kent
Funster No
MH
"Don't own one yet"
Exp
" I'm a newbie"
PS...
Thank you for the link.....very informative
J

Jan 8, 2013
Dronfield - Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Burstner Lyseo 690G
Exp
Happy FLT since 2011
I have just seen that there seems to be a complete hub assembly on ebay. That could be a lot easier, just a matter of undoing the bolts!

OP
OP
J

Jacflash

Free Member
Jul 31, 2015
Kent
Funster No
MH
"Don't own one yet"
Exp
" I'm a newbie"
You're a star!

dave newell

Free Member
Oct 31, 2008
Telford, Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Home converted PVC
Exp
26yrs
The front wheel bearings on Ducatos are taper rollers but the two races are built into one single unit, you could call it a cartridge bearing. There should be no play at all, if there is then the bearing is FUBAR and needs to be replaced, tightening the hub nut is not going to help. The hub nut torque is around 450NM by the way (that equates to a four foot bar on a 3/4 drive socket, ten white Knuckles and a big grunt). Pressing the drive flange out of the bearing and then the bearing out of the hub carrier will need a big press, I now have a 30 ton press and even that can struggle to move them.

D.

OP
OP
J

Jacflash

Free Member
Jul 31, 2015
Kent
Funster No
MH
"Don't own one yet"
Exp
" I'm a newbie"
I managed to get a 41mm socket from S.C.motor factors for £11.80 inc that has a 1/2" drive, so with help of a 3' knuckle bar, I drilled the knock to lock dimples out of the shaft groove. with not as much struggle as I expected the nut yielded, it was when I got the bottom ball joint free the problems kicked in..... with a boing that Zebedee would have been proud of the hub flu outwards taking the shaft out of the gearbox and pouring oil onto my drive. A rush of rag and a drip tray later damage limitation was in place. (learning curve!!)
Well,........ replacing the CV gaiter is a whole different story and too long for here, along with a bottom ball joint, and the aid of some copperslip all came back together..... then there's the gear oil..... grade not listed by fiat an educated guess at 75/90 was made (turns out should have been 75/80) and delivered. How to get it into the box? Fiat Ducato 11 JTD 2.0 ltr google search brought up forums with "it's here on my Fiat pander, does this help", and other crap that you don't need at the end of an equally crap day and 2.8Ltr which is nothing like..... so ended up putting a litre through a 6mm tube into the air vent....still don't know where the filler/level plug(s) are. Filling was taking forever, so put a hole in the side of the inverted bottle and helped it with an air line.
What a day!! Wheel bearing for other side arrives Tuesday....... I'm not looking forward to Tuesday!:(

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
I top mine up through the dipstick hole but if you haven't one of them then you have to remove the reversing light switch ,I believe ,& add it through there.

Jan 8, 2013
Dronfield - Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Burstner Lyseo 690G
Exp
Happy FLT since 2011
I've found out today that there are a selection of spacer (between the taper bearings) you can buy. This will enable you to adjust the taper bearings if they are still smooth

dave newell

Free Member
Oct 31, 2008
Telford, Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Home converted PVC
Exp
26yrs
I've found out today that there are a selection of spacer (between the taper bearings) you can buy. This will enable you to adjust the taper bearings if they are still smooth

I don't believe this to be correct for a 2003 2.0 JTD Ducato front wheel bearing, it will have a single piece, double taper roller bearing "cartridge" type bearing which is about 3.5" diameter and about 3 inches deep.

Griffs

Free Member
Aug 15, 2007
SOUTH WALES
Funster No
MH
a class
Exp
since 2007
Hi Stealaway,
Thank you for your reply, every time I need to do something on this vehicle it turns out to be a real sod!! I've only just run it in! (207500 miles...:rolleyes: ) It's my only vehicle so it does get the mileage, so I shouldn't complain, just like buses all the expenses arrive at one time too! ..... so best course of action.... take it to "Fred in a shed" or get it into kit form and and have it pressed etc.. and do the rest myself..?
John
Hi we just had our Fiat N&B Mot'd with an advisory on front wheel bearing. Going off the point a little your reference to "Fred in the Shed" brought a smile to our faces, when Rhian's Gearbox went pearshaped in her Peugeot 206 last year, every garage we went to said no way don't recon Peugeot gearboxes.
So we ended trawling Scrap Yards & found one in Swansea, went to pick it up & guess what it was cream crackered so one of the older fitter type guys there said "go to John the Box Llansamlet he'll sort it" & sure enough in 24hours from dropping it off, it was all fixed :) Griffs

Jan 8, 2013
Dronfield - Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Burstner Lyseo 690G
Exp
Happy FLT since 2011
I don't believe this to be correct for a 2003 2.0 JTD Ducato front wheel bearing, it will have a single piece, double taper roller bearing "cartridge" type bearing which is about 3.5" diameter and about 3 inches deep.

That seems to be the one I saw today (although I don't know what year it was) and the mechanic said he had ordered an under size spacer for it.
He had it split with the tapers and the spacer on the bench.
I'll let you know how it goes when he puts it back together.

dave newell

Free Member
Oct 31, 2008
Telford, Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Home converted PVC
Exp
26yrs
There is no spacer in the front wheel bearing of a 2003 Ducato, the two inner races butt up to each other and there's a spring clip that joins them together. At each of the outer surfaces is a seal to keep the lubrication in and dirt out. Earlier Ducatos did have separate taper roller bearings in the front (X230 models from memory) but from around 2000 onwards they were fitted with a single piece "cartridge" type bearing.

D.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back