Can a motorhome be too level (1 Viewer)

Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
Had a major leak this weekend, seems to be pouring in round the front skylight over dining table

Various helping hands had a look, Terry put his hand through the 'open' skylight and announced we had deep water on our roof, I did the same and he was certainly right, I reckon at least 1/2" all round the skylight

A wit in the inevitable onlooking non helping spectators decided it was my E + P jacks had got it too level :D

used them to decant the few gallons that were on there and the leak reduced from torrent to drip and Andy was volunteered to go up and have a look, nothing obvious, so a reseal needed we decided

Rang Hambiltons in Preston who did the last service, this time last year, they cant even look at it till mid September but did say it was a really common issue, I guess from a repairers perspective, I haven't heard of too many leaking Hymers

The drive off the Falkirk Wheel site (including the multi point turn at the low bridge) sloshed the remaining water out all over the table and Lola, going to clear all the debris (leaves etc) off roof today, then off to Terry (we like (need a) Terry) for investigation and reseal tomorrow (y)

But could it have been just too flat, that did seem like an awful lot of water, now worried that my one and only venture up on the roof last year to wash the roof left it permanently 'dished'

Last edited:

Techno

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jul 28, 2010
Leeds the one up North
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7090F 3 litre 160
Exp
May 2010
Yes David I was parked dead level at Hebden Bridge and as soon as I moved off there must have been 20 gallons up there
In Storage I have it parked on a slope

Carol

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 2, 2007
North Wales.
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
18 years s Motorhome (33years caravans)
Sorry I know it shouldn't but it made me smile, just see you on the roof thinking wha that was not a good idea, and to the question no I don't think you can be to level. Though you can definately be too un level in Spain a pitch we were allocated on matter how we tried we could not get near level, with in two days Ed and I were feeling proper quiesey (first time I knew the meaning of equilibrium ) you stick with your e and p jacks.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Feb 9, 2008
SW Scotland
Funster No
MH
LP Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2008 after caravanning for 20 years
Like Andy above, when our van is parked up at home it has a 'nose down' attitude and leans slightly to allow all water to drain off. More than once when leaving a pitch we have been surprised by the volume of water that runs down over the windscreen, no leaks though.

JeanLuc

Free Member
Nov 17, 2008
Warwickshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer B630 Star-Line
Exp
Since 2007
Go over to Edgehill Motorhomes at Mansfield Woodhouse. Paul Broadhurst resealed our main rooflight last November. It took a morning and we had a very pleasant walk around the area and into the country whilst he did it. Not too pricey either.
Edgehill Motorhomes Nottinghamshire UK - Hymer

OP
OP
DavidG58
Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
Go over to Edgehill Motorhomes at Mansfield Woodhouse. Paul Broadhurst resealed our main rooflight last November. It took a morning and we had a very pleasant walk around the area and into the country whilst he did it. Not too pricey either.
Edgehill Motorhomes Nottinghamshire UK - Hymer

Thanks, I do need to get back to them at some point, they did some work for me just after we bought this Hymer and I wasn't impressed, from your own recommendations it would seem I got them on a bad day

I am going on the roof to clean it today but am already thinking it might be a one off issue and some weird capillary reaction, may not even need fixing

JeanLuc

Free Member
Nov 17, 2008
Warwickshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer B630 Star-Line
Exp
Since 2007
We bought ours from them in 2007 and I have never had cause to complain about their service or work, in fact I would recommend them to anyone with a Hymer. I do go to Peter Hambilton for anything structural though.

Jul 24, 2009
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1999
Water always collects on the roof following rain when we are using the m/home and it's level. On driving off the blocks a torrent floods off so it's best to keep all windows and doors shut. When it's parked up in storage I always use levelling ramps under the wheels on one side only to ensure the water never settles. Remember that if there's water up there in winter it can freeze and possibly expand in any joints it's in, causing problems.

Spottycatz

Free Member
Feb 17, 2013
Racodorm
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt Low Profile
Exp
Still making mistakes! But they're not as costly.
I've never been able to get my van 'exactly level', it always slopes a bit............but then I only have ramps, so it's not an exact science.

Gorse Hill

Free Member
Feb 2, 2013
Stretford
Funster No
MH
Burnster Ixeo IT 734
Exp
Yes David I was parked dead level at Hebden Bridge and as soon as I moved off there must have been 20 gallons up there
In Storage I have it parked on a slope
Back to front or side to side, have a similar issue but thought about it and came to the conclusion if its side to side are you not twisting the box on the back of a cab especially if left for weeks, possible the same for front to back?

andy63

Free Member
Jan 19, 2014
south shields
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
since 1990
I am going on the roof to clean it today but am already thinking it might be a one off issue and some weird capillary reaction, may not even need fixing

Hi David. .would be nice to think you are right,but I would think that judging by the amount of water that came into van there is defiantly a problem with the roof light seal..assuming it hasn't entered from somewhere else... even if the water pools around the skylight if seal is good it shouldn't leak..
If there is nothing else obvious I'd re seal the roof light frame to roof.. i got the impression it may be a moulded rubber joint that seals it and if removed you may be able to use some non setting mastic or tape to help the seal...
Hope its sorted soon... and I'll watch this thread for your outcome..
Ta Andy. .

Brian and Jo

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 24, 2007
oswestry,shropshire
Funster No
MH
A-Class N+B Arto 88F
Exp
Been motorhoming for 15yrs.had an American RV for 7yrs,Now got a Niesmann Bischoff Arto 88F
i always thought that motorhome roofs were shaped in such a way to discard the rain water,obviously im wrong:rolleyes::eek:
Brian & Jo

Mar 16, 2010
Carmarthenshire
Funster No
MH
In between
Exp
Since 1988
@DavidG58 when we drove off the Falkirk meet on Sunday lunchtime as we went through the barriers water poured off our roof and down the windscreen and again as we got further down the road but fortunately we had no internal leak like you. Must have been from the heavy downpour on Saturday afternoon and we were dead level as well.
Hope you get it sorted

Steve

LIFE MEMBER
May 8, 2013
Compton Berkshire
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
on and off for 40 years
I always try to leval van so water goes down shower drain, so that works out slight high on right and front. Most of the roof water then runs off.
if your with Terry iam sure he will sort it.
Steve

OP
OP
DavidG58
Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
Hi David. .would be nice to think you are right,but I would think that judging by the amount of water that came into van there is defiantly a problem with the roof light seal..assuming it hasn't entered from somewhere else... even if the water pools around the skylight if seal is good it shouldn't leak..
If there is nothing else obvious I'd re seal the roof light frame to roof.. i got the impression it may be a moulded rubber joint that seals it and if removed you may be able to use some non setting mastic or tape to help the seal...
Hope its sorted soon... and I'll watch this thread for your outcome..
Ta Andy. .

Thanks Andy

I was full of great ideas going up on roof to give it a clean, but I really do not like or do heights well at all, went up ladder high enough to have a look though and can now see the fixing screws you mentioned. Looks like if we remove those the vent may lift sufficiently to get a bead of sealant round it

I am just debating now whether to run water on to the roof now to see if it still leaks, or if it best to leave as dry as it is, pre sealing tomorrow

Might just leave well alone :)

OP
OP
DavidG58
Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
Your house is dead level (or it should be) and that roof doesnt leak.

Get your roof joints sealed.

sore point with me at moment, we have a 85mm difference from one end of house to other, built a new extension full length of house, that is dead level, now breaking through and trying to work out how to deal with floor differences, even better it is 50mm greater difference upstairs to downstairs (luckily) so not as bad as it might have been, I think they had checked ground floor levels

Bloody 18th century builders hadn't got a clue :D:D didn't even both with footings either just built it 3 feet thick :)

But back to OP, if any seals need sealing they are round the roof light only, although I guess technically this is still a roof joint, it is being looked at tomorrow (y)

irnbru

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 27, 2013
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Benimar 264
Exp
11 yrs
Hope the rain hasn't done too much cosmetic damage. Im sure Terry will do a good reseal for you.
At least Scotland highlighted your problem, better finding it now than when the snow comes.

OP
OP
DavidG58
Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
Hope the rain hasn't done too much cosmetic damage. Im sure Terry will do a good reseal for you.
At least Scotland highlighted your problem, better finding it now than when the snow comes.

not only has your Scottish rain ruined my MH, the food up there has added half a stone to my weight over the weekend, or was it those gummybears :D

Terry can fix the leak tomorrow, not sure what to do about the excess weight :), will need MH replating again :D

andy63

Free Member
Jan 19, 2014
south shields
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
since 1990
and can now see the fixing screws you mentioned. Looks like if we remove those the vent may lift sufficiently to get a bead of sealant round it

I thought you may have to remove the skylight cover to get at the screws which may involve disconnecting the winding mechanism... If all that has to be done I'd be more inclined to try and remove the whole frame for a good check and reseal.. (it's easy giving advice like this when I'm not doing the work:) ) but I think that's what I'd be trying to do rather than a quick fix.... great if it works mind...
Don't envy you and Terry the task but lola needs a dry bedroom...:LOL:
Ta Andy. .

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
Ours had this leak but only when parked at certain angles. Removed inner cover. Looked hard, saw trickle coming in at roof height ( not over the top of the plastic cill ). When dry pulled top off and re-bedded on non-setting mastic. Sorted, under a tenner.

Apr 9, 2014
Lincs
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
It appears the adventure nevers ends for yourself just glad it's just a minor one this time. Not wanting to give you ideas but if your going to take the vent off anyway why not put something else (better) in it's place, an automated vent with rain sensor or air con, you've got the extra payload now may as well use it. Just an idea.:giggle:

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
@DavidG58 if it leaked once it will do it again for sure.

I set our Jacks 0.5 degree down at the front so the water goes down the gutters at the front and not off the sides and back leaving black streaks, (don't like black streaks).

As for going up on the roof, I don't wish to get too personal BUT you are a "big lad" even bigger after Falkirk wheel by the sound of it.

Martin

GWAYGWAY

Free Member
Sep 6, 2014
Dover
Funster No
MH
Hymer ML I 580
Exp
4 years
My chausson oddesee has a similar thing but it is the dam that is made by the plastic jointing strip where the roof and fibreglass front meet. The water runs forward until this point and then builds up an inch deep. I am parking on a new drive soon, on the other side of the house where I can drive in so the body will slope backwards and it will all run off.

Oct 26, 2014
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral Supreme 680st
Exp
since 2001
My chausson oddesee has a similar thing but it is the dam that is made by the plastic jointing strip where the roof and fibreglass front meet. The water runs forward until this point and then builds up an inch deep. I am parking on a new drive soon, on the other side of the house where I can drive in so the body will slope backwards and it will all run off.

That's just as our's does, it all collects at the front near the fibreglass,

going to leave on wooden blocks when at home so it drains off the back

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back