Rally Chat Potential 'Music & Mechanicals' meet July 2016 - South Lincs (1 Viewer)

Sep 23, 2013
Lincs
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout
Exp
Since 2008 (started in a VW T4 campervan)
Some time ago, the Bubble Car Museum at Langrick, near Boston was suggested as a possible meet/rally venue. It has a small campsite attached.

One of the bands I call dances for was booked to play for a wedding at the campsite a few weeks ago, so I said that I would assess the site.

It's a nice place, very laid back, helpful & of course has the museum on site for those with an interest in quirky machinery. It's quite isolated, so not much within walking distance, but plenty of interesting places within easy driving distance - especially for anyone interested in WW2 aviation history. Dogs are welcome & you can even have real campfires in metal fire pits.

The band really loved the place & we all thought it would be a nice place to return to & sit around playing music with friends, so an idea for a joint meet started to form.

Subject to sufficient interest, I'm planning a meet over the weekend of Fri 1st to Mon 4th July 2016, with Saturday afternoon/evening being devoted to an acoustic music session.

The local musicians who will be there play a range of styles, ranging from traditional Irish & Scottish music, American bluegrass, plus tunes from England & France. Some old - very old in some cases, some contemporary. A lot of it is driving dance music, so great for those who want to get energetic & have a bit of a bop. We may even have a few called ceilidh dances if there is interest. We had the wedding guests up & dancing on the grass - they all had a brilliant time.

But the point of a session is that it's not a performance, it's musicians playing together for their own enjoyment, so anyone with an instrument can join the circle & play along with everyone else. For those of you who play instruments, it's a great way to learn new tunes. For those to whom these things matter, 90% of the music will be in the keys of D, G & A. If you don't play, then just sit back & enjoy the music, or have a dance. Anyone who was at BreweryDave's Sandy meet last year will know the sort of thing I mean, and just like there, the music played will depend entirely on who turns up.

We will have a marquee in case it's wet. The site can provide one if we can't arrange for our own.

It is intended to be a very laid back, feet up weekend. I'm not planning a lot of organised activities. We'll build some sort of communal food event into the Saturday music. The museum is on site, so that's an hour or so occupied for those that are interested. It's in the flat bit of Lincolnshire, so easy cycling territory, or lots to see within a 30 min drive for those that want to explore.

It will be possible to arrive early; handy for anyone who wants to leave Misterton & explore a bit of mid-Lincs on the way over, assuming Misterton takes place as usual over the last weekend of June. Lincoln is well worth a stopover on the way over.

Cost will be in the £8-10 per night region, largely depending on whether we provide our own marquee or not.

The campite gets booked up for weekend meets & rallies very early, so that's why I am asking now for expressions of interest. There will be a limit of about 25 vans as it's quite a small site.

Assuming there is sufficient interest, I'll book the weekend with the site now, then start an actual attendance list in 'Scheduled Rallies' in early 2016, when people will start to have firmed up plans for next summer.

Please respond below if you think you would be interested, or if you want any more info.

OP
OP
TheCaller
Sep 23, 2013
Lincs
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout
Exp
It would be great to have you two along @Janine . Better get yourself a booking for The SO Festival then!

I can make plenty of suggestions for a holiday in Lincolnshire. Everything from 'kiss me quick' Skegness to a relaxed & scenic tour of the Lincolnshire Wolds, which (don't tell anyone) are pretty much Lincolnshire's secret.

Lots of aviation history: Lincoln would keep anyone occupied for a couple of days minimum - the Castle/Cathedral complex is stunning. Very easy to fill a couple of weeks to the east of the Trent. It's a big county with a lot of contrast - most of which isn't known outside the county (which is half the attraction!).

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Dec 10, 2013
South Staffs
Funster No
MH
Pilote P740GJ
Exp
Since 2013
Please put us down as interested, will be nice to just potter over to there after Misterton should it take place.
Dave and Sandra.

irnbru

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 27, 2013
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Benimar 264
Exp
11 yrs
Do you have a postcode so I can see just how far south it is please.

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012

Hi Sandra

It's a PE22 ish postcode I believe so you could call that 300 miles from the centre of Glasgow.

Martin

OP
OP
TheCaller
Sep 23, 2013
Lincs
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout
Exp
All the site info is linked in the first post, but just for you - :):)
PE22 7AW. That places you about 250m south of the site itself.

Google offers two routes down from Glasgow, the more scenic route down through the middle of the Lincolnshire Wolds is 4 miles longer at 313 miles.

But for only 2 miles further you can come via the Misterton meet the weekend before & make a proper holiday of it. Misterton plus four days touring mid-Lincs (including Lincoln), then on to this one.

Misterton always has good music, there will be two music sessions in Louth in the intervening week, so you can have a music holiday before you even start to count the friends, the scenery, the history, the buildings - and if the sun shines, the sights on Skegness sea front have to be seen to be believed. :eek:

OP
OP
TheCaller
Sep 23, 2013
Lincs
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout
Exp
Thanjs for the info @TheCaller but unfortunately I'm not retired yet so can't do meet to meet. One day ! :)
It's not retirement you need but a job that lets you to take a 2 week holiday! :D:D

Or have you plans to take your longer holiday where the sunshine is a little more certain?

Apr 13, 2012
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta Euroyacht
Exp
1996, then break 'til 2011

I don't normally plan that far ahead but I would definitely be interested, and the Lincolnshire Wolds are a real bonus

(y)

amentalcat

Free Member
May 3, 2015
Herts, UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544
Exp
I'm a newbie
Sounds good to me, plop us on the 'possible list' please :D

Ali x

OP
OP
TheCaller
Sep 23, 2013
Lincs
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout
Exp
I'm interested if it doesn't clash with other rallies ::bigsmile:
At that time of the year it's bound to clash with something, but I've tried to pick a weekend when there is nothing else in this part of the country, as far as I know. It was also deliberate to make it the weekend after the usual Misterton weekend so people could have successive weekends that weren't too far apart geographically.

I know that can cause problems for people who are working - if you have just had Friday & Monday off for one long weekend, it's not always easy to do the same the following week - but for those who are reasonably local, Friday night to Sunday evening is feasible.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back