LIFE MEMBER
Oct 11, 2009
East Wittering. West Sussex.
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis i588
Exp
Started in 1980
I know it has probably been covered before.
After a scamming attempt on my motorhome sale I have now received a call from someone in France. An English person who has supplied a French landline number and their email address.
Very interested and has offered an acceptable price ( without viewing) Alarm bells !!:whistle:
They would like to travel over next Saturday and make a Bank transfer to bank of my choice. They say they are with Halifax and the transfer would take about four hours to clear and are happy to wait.
I thought the only transfers able to fully clear in a day were CHAPS that need to be done on a business working day.
Obviously the vehicle will not be released until I am 100% certain the funds are clear.
We are talking £19,000 so not an insignificant sum.
Any thoughts .
Thanks
Graham (n)

Apr 13, 2012
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta Euroyacht
Exp
1996, then break 'til 2011

CHAPS payments can be made on Saturdays between 9-1

I would ask the seller for his bank account details, sort code and account number/name, then to be sure I would go to my local branch and tell them what the buyer is proposing and the most secure way of making the transfer.

Good luck with the sale

(y)

etap

Free Member
Nov 19, 2014
Somerset
Funster No
MH
Chausson Flash 610
Exp
3 years
We have just (3months ago) sold our motorhome to a Couple from England, they came and transferred the money immediately, in two lots as with private banking on line £20k is the maximum transfer available in a day, but of course I checked with the bank by calling in to ensure the money was there.
Unless you bank online which we don't the money must be in your account before banks are closed, don't accept any other way, also don't give vehicle info i.e. Other than reg. etc as is needed to check that it is yours, as some people get vehicle info and sell it on for monetary gain.
Sure all will go well for you but if anything doesn't feel right back out immediately, don't be weak in your dealings.
If that's any help?
Etap

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

mjltigger

Free Member
Nov 12, 2014
Trowbridge
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Dakota Max
Exp
With online banking I have seen transactions go through in under 5 minutes. Can all be done over your WiFi from their laptop but don't let them use yours. You check your balance over a nice cuppa and don't do the v5 or hand over the keys until the cash is in your account.

tonka

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 2, 2008
Cannock, Staffs
Funster No
MH
A class Burstner 800
Exp
Since 2000
My previous van was bought by someone in Spain who flew over and viewed. Payment was done by online bank but there was a daily limit of £10,000 at the time so had to make 3 payments over 3 days. Genuine guy who waited and when last payment made I dropped the van off to Uk location (his daughters) had a cup of tea and caught train home.
As soon as funds cleared I moved them to another account.
Just checked ref Halifax and it does say their daily limit is £25k.

The banking system has improved a lot over the past few years, online transfers are almost instant.

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
This makes depressing reading, essentially it says you can't trust anything other than cash and payments from foriegn banks are particularly at risk, although that doesn't sound like the case here. My suggestion would be to speak to your bank and get their advice, if they will give it!
http://www.honestjohn.co.uk/faq/accepting-payments/

Reactions: JJ

Mr B

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 1, 2015
Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7065ff Design Edit
Exp
Since 2015.......
When we bought our van, our bank had a transfer limit of £15k per day, so we had to do a CHAPS transfer, so we could pay for it in one day.
Why not ask for £15k transfer and the rest in cash. If they refuse, then that's when the alarm bells would be going off in my head.

Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
This will not help your decision or concerns, but I was in an identical position to you 2 years ago, including the attempted scam so was trusting nobody

My decision was made then it would be the last time I sold anything of that value privately, it will be not as good a price but I will be trading in at a dealer next time

very best of luck, I am sure there are very few scammers out there, and yet again the minority screw up life for the rest of us (y)

incidentally my sale did go through and the money was genuine etc. but nervy day or so

Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
When we bought our van, our bank had a transfer limit of £15k per day, so we had to do a CHAPS transfer, so we could pay for it in one day.
Why not ask for £15k transfer and the rest in cash. If they refuse, then that's when the alarm bells would be going off in my head.

it could be very difficult for somebody based outside of the UK to get £'s in cash over any counter

I don't think the OP's buyer has an issue with limit in this case :)

Mr B

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 1, 2015
Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7065ff Design Edit
Exp
Since 2015.......
it could be very difficult for somebody based outside of the UK to get £'s in cash over any counter

I don't think the OP's buyer has an issue with limit in this case :)
Good point :)

trekkin

Free Member
Sep 12, 2014
Staffordshire
Funster No
MH
Rv
Exp
5 years but still learning
Go and speak to your bank, and discuss the options with them,

When we sold ours we had a very sleepless couple of nights and stressful days, and in desperation went to the bank and they were great. Brilliantly advice and caution, one thing we were not aware of was that a bank transfer can be paid and withdrawn in the same working day so a common scam was pay the money in, take the vehicle withdraw the money, unfortunately even if you try to move it out it's not yours until close of business.

They told of horror stories of fake cash, withdrawn deposits

Don't let it worry you but involve them and get support

ianandkath

Free Member
Jun 4, 2015
spain/uk
Funster No
MH
a class
Exp
2 years
i bought mine with online payment. the bank held the transfer for 24 hours to check that it was me that was doing the transfer, and not someone trying to rob me.
all went well and i picked up mh the next day

etap

Free Member
Nov 19, 2014
Somerset
Funster No
MH
Chausson Flash 610
Exp
3 years
I am amazed to hear that people can take money out of other people's accounts that they have just put in, My bank assured me that no one can take money from my accounts except me or those that I have specified.
In so far as not selling privately it maybe safer(although companies can go bust) but in our case we were £7,500 better off by selling privately.
Etap

JJ

Mágica
May 1, 2008
Quinta Majay, Pinheiro Bordalo, Portugal
Funster No
MH
Burstner Privilege T
Exp
over 50 years
Of course there are horrid scammers out there...

But there are many, many, many more decent, honest people, like you and me, than there are slimy toe-rags.

I feel sure that if you actually meet the person and see ID etc. everything will be fine and we will all be congratulating you on the sale.

JJ :cool:

Sep 10, 2012
worcester
Funster No
MH
Sunliving van
Exp
When we bought privately I sat in their kitchen with my laptop on there internet connection and made 3 payments under the 10k single transfer limit using my online banking. All worked fine.
However when I tried to make a series of payments to my son it was picked up by a bank security system and I spent ages on the phone trying to persuade them to process the payments urgently.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back