useing a "3 sim" in a phablet (1 Viewer)

Scout

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 4, 2009
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
chic c line
Exp
12 years motorhoming, a lifetime of living
I’ve got a galaxy s3 on 3 one plan (unlimited data), in the UK I can use this as a Mobil wireless hotspot and tether my device to that (laptop). However when in France tethering is not allowed with the data usage (how do they know your doing it?).
The screen on the s3 is not really big enough for use when the vehicle is moving (passenger only) so I thought about buying a phablet something like this

Broken Link Removed

So if I put my 3 sim in it would it work ok?

Flamenca

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 21, 2013
Europe
Funster No
MH
Hymer 564
Exp
Since 2010
Yes, it should work with a 3 SIM. Before buying I would ask them what size SIM it takes. You might have to cut down your present SIM.

OP
OP
Scout

Scout

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 4, 2009
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
chic c line
Exp
Yes, it should work with a 3 SIM. Before buying I would ask them what size SIM it takes. You might have to cut down your present SIM.

Ive done that, no reply as yeat, but I think it is a standard sim. my g3 is a mini sim I think

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

jollyrodger

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 1, 2012
Devon/Cornwall
Funster No
MH
'Obby
Exp
Since 1968'ish
I`ve got this one takes a micro sim (same as your galaxcy I believe) and yes it does work in France should work in Spain

Broken Link Removed

I have a std size DATA sim bought on eBay 12gb cut down to micro size that I now use in the tablet as from yesterday ,on it now and tethering :) on you settings have you OK`d roaming I have and no extra charge on feel at home
Hope this helps

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
They do know what you are doing with your sim although exactly how I don't know - but they can. I had a 3 PAYG phone sim for a while as a trial and I used it in a mifi but after a couple of days all I got from it was a message to tell me I should put it back in my phone! If you want to use the sim in a mifi for internet connection then you need to get one which is a mobile broadband one. They do three sorts: phone, tablet and mobile broadband. I guess you can put a mobile broadband in a phone and use it for tethering but if it is anything like the mobile broadband sim I got it doesn't work in the phone for making calls* - so I only ever use it in the mifi.

*but 3 reception around here is rubbish so it may be the thing simply couldn't get a signal.

OP
OP
Scout

Scout

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 4, 2009
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
chic c line
Exp
They do know what you are doing with your sim although exactly how I don't know - but they can. I had a 3 PAYG phone sim for a while as a trial and I used it in a mifi but after a couple of days all I got from it was a message to tell me I should put it back in my phone! If you want to use the sim in a mifi for internet connection then you need to get one which is a mobile broadband one. They do three sorts: phone, tablet and mobile broadband. I guess you can put a mobile broadband in a phone and use it for tethering but if it is anything like the mobile broadband sim I got it doesn't work in the phone for making calls* - so I only ever use it in the mifi.

*but 3 reception around here is rubbish so it may be the thing simply couldn't get a signal.

the phablet is just like a very big phone, 3 say on thier website you can use the sim on any unlocked phone, thats why Im thinking of doing it

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
the phablet is just like a very big phone, 3 say on thier website you can use the sim on any unlocked phone, thats why Im thinking of doing it
As you say the phablet is just a big phone so I think you need a phone sim - but if you try tethering from it I am not sure this will work - it might for a day or so as I found, but then they pulled the plug.

OP
OP
Scout

Scout

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 4, 2009
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
chic c line
Exp
The following link is to a different eBay seller with much better feedback and the description provides a little more information:

Broken Link Removed

thanks for that, i agree better specs and feedback...does say full sized sim but thats not a problem, also the dispaly seems better...

OP
OP
Scout

Scout

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 4, 2009
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
chic c line
Exp
As you say the phablet is just a big phone so I think you need a phone sim - but if you try tethering from it I am not sure this will work - it might for a day or so as I found, but then they pulled the plug.

I terther all the time wih my sim in the S3

Reactions: DBK

Flamenca

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 21, 2013
Europe
Funster No
MH
Hymer 564
Exp
Since 2010
thanks for that, i agree better specs and feedback...does say full sized sim but thats not a problem, also the dispaly seems better...

I am quite impressed with the specification and have ordered one myself (y)

OP
OP
Scout

Scout

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 4, 2009
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
chic c line
Exp
I am quite impressed with the specification and have ordered one myself (y)

me too. I had a reply to my question they say it should work ok wth a micro sim in a carrier

OP
OP
Scout

Scout

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 4, 2009
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
chic c line
Exp
ok now Ive ordered the phaplet I been thinking of cheap way to use it in france, Ive nicked this quote from the "moneysavingexpert" site

Quote Start:
Even if you're not a Three customer, you can grab its Feel at Home offer. Just order one of its free pay-as-you Sims to pop into your handset while you're away. Here's how:

• Step 1: Order a free PAYG Sim from the Three website – it'll work in any unlocked 3G or 4G phone, and using it in the UK costs 3p per minute for calls, 2p per text and 1p per MB. You can also buy one in-store – it normally costs £1, but the fee's waived if you top up at the same time. You will need to top up with a minimum of £10.
  • Step 2: To use Feel at Home, you'll then need to use your credit to buy a Three add-on bundle of calls, texts and data. They cost from £5 to £25 – as an example, £15 will get you 300 minutes, 3,000 texts and all-you-can-eat data. To do this, log into your My 3 account, or call 333 using your new Sim.
  • Step 3. Feel at Home works automatically when you arrive in any of the 18 countries. You'll be able to use the allowance in your add-on the same way as in the UK.
Quote end:

I think this is what Ill do, get a 3 payg sim, top up £20 and buy the data add on, use my 3 phone as a tether in the uk and the payg sim in france,

it does go on to say about tethering in france, again Ive quote from the website

Quote start:

• Three's terms and conditions say you can't use your phone for tethering (in other words, use it as a portable hotspot to connect other devices to). However we have had people say it does work - we asked Three about this but it refused to be drawn on the consequences, only referring us to the out of allowance call charges if tethering takes you over the 25GB allowed if you have all-you-can-eat data.
Quote end:

Flamenca

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 21, 2013
Europe
Funster No
MH
Hymer 564
Exp
Since 2010
Although I am a 3 'contract' customer (on a cheap package) I also buy a PAYG mobile broadband SIM to use in my MiFi unit whilst in France and Spain. I do not consume vast amounts of data whilst travelling so a 3GB 3 month SIM works for me most of the time but I do have a Vodafone Spain SIM as backup which costs 10 Euros for 1GB for a month. I have heard that 3 limit the 'feel at home' use to 3 months but have not heard of anyone being cut off when reaching that time limit.

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
Have been using three this trip to Italy in my large phablet phone and it has worked fine all the way here. As has my wifes on her iphone
Unlike the local Wind sim we bought for iPad last year the coverage was hopeless

OP
OP
Scout

Scout

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 4, 2009
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
chic c line
Exp
Have been using three this trip to Italy in my large phablet phone and it has worked fine all the way here. As has my wifes on her iphone
Unlike the local Wind sim we bought for iPad last year the coverage was hopeless

what type of sim was in it?

1 out of a 3 contract phone
a data sim (contract or payg)
a phone sim (contract or payg)

jollyrodger

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 1, 2012
Devon/Cornwall
Funster No
MH
'Obby
Exp
Since 1968'ish
As a back up and for phone calls only ( or data if you want it ) then in the duel sim cubot phone I have the 3 sim with all you can eat data .payg.as main sim and a std size Toggle sim phone only .I put £20 on it last Oct and still £11.20 today good value I thought .

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
what type of sim was in it?

1 out of a 3 contract phone
a data sim (contract or payg)
a phone sim (contract or payg)

Contract. Sitting in a supermarcedo carpark now using it....has never let us down this trip

Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
With 3 I think on pa as you go you need to have been on payg for a month and buy a bundle to get feel at home. I have 3 payg and bought a 1 month bundle before we went to France and worked fine the bundle was unlimited data but restricted to 25gb when used in other countries. The phone sim is not allowed to tether in other countries but there are supposed to be apps to get around it not tried them. We also had a 3 data sim in a mifi worked fine as well beast to set up before leaving the uk and make sure use roaming is enabled in the mifi settings.

David

OP
OP
Scout

Scout

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 4, 2009
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
chic c line
Exp
With 3 I think on pa as you go you need to have been on payg for a month and buy a bundle to get feel at home..

David

Ive just got of the phone to 3 customer services they told me there is no "1 month waiting" to get feel at home

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
We are all on contract 3 phones now. Can I get a data sim for iPad from them
And if pag can I just top.it up when we go away?

My sons in the states and daughter in UK while we are in Italy and chat to them all the time...its great

OP
OP
Scout

Scout

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 4, 2009
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
chic c line
Exp
We are all on contract 3 phones now. Can I get a data sim for iPad from them
And if pag can I just top.it up when we go away?

My sons in the states and daughter in UK while we are in Italy and chat to them all the time...its great

as I understand it, it must be used and topped up at least once a year...

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
as I understand it, it must be used and topped up at least once a year...

Thanks! Sounds the same as our Italian wave sim that we always forget to top up!

Three reception has been spot on this year. France, Switzerland, and now Italy. Just hope they add Belgium and Germany soon.....

OP
OP
Scout

Scout

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 4, 2009
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
chic c line
Exp
The phablet came Thursday and I've been using it teatherd to my 3 phone OK, I tried to put my micro sim in from my phone but the sim addaptor did not seem to fit and i did not want to force it. Today my 3 PAYG phone sim came and it works OK.

Flamenca

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 21, 2013
Europe
Funster No
MH
Hymer 564
Exp
Since 2010
The phablet came Thursday and I've been using it teatherd to my 3 phone OK, I tried to put my micro sim in from my phone but the sim addaptor did not seem to fit and i did not want to force it. Today my 3 PAYG phone sim came and it works OK.

Mine has been delivered as well. I have only been using it as a tablet so far. Yet to try a SIM. I will probably pop in my Vodafone Spain SIM to try that first.

OP
OP
Scout

Scout

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 4, 2009
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
chic c line
Exp
As I already said I tried my existing sim in an adapter first; when I could not get to go in I put the paygo sim in. This never registered so I rang the sellers help line, I only got an answer phone so hung up, within two minute he rung me back, I explained what happened, I was being a numpty I had not turned it off and on again. I thought this was excellent after sales service and I will leave him good feedback later.

WynandJean

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 23, 2010
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph 682
Exp
Since 2010
I bought aone of the Tesco mifi's that were on offer to take to France. Got unlock details from Internet. Followed instructions and got a message saying 'Succesfully Unlocked' however it would not work on SIM cards other than Vodafone. Seemed to have not worked. Time was getting short so took it to Planet Mobile and asked them to unlock it. Went to collect it and they said, "it's already unlocked"!
By now time was getting short so I bought an unlocked mifi. Set it up and added extra top up before leaving. Worked fine. Crossed to France and it would not work! Eventually took SIM card out and tried it in Galxy Tablet (I had the one with SIM slot) It worked fine. Then tried tethering it. Worked fine. No need for mifi

Wyn

OP
OP
Scout

Scout

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 4, 2009
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
chic c line
Exp
I bought aone of the Tesco mifi's that were on offer to take to France. Got unlock details from Internet. Followed instructions and got a message saying 'Succesfully Unlocked' however it would not work on SIM cards other than Vodafone. Seemed to have not worked. Time was getting short so took it to Planet Mobile and asked them to unlock it. Went to collect it and they said, "it's already unlocked"!
By now time was getting short so I bought an unlocked mifi. Set it up and added extra top up before leaving. Worked fine. Crossed to France and it would not work! Eventually took SIM card out and tried it in Galxy Tablet (I had the one with SIM slot) It worked fine. Then tried tethering it. Worked fine. No need for mifi

Wyn

So teathering worked OK? I think I'll buy the add on just in case, but I try using it teatherd first. No point paying twice

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back