Free Member
Jul 8, 2011
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
Exp
1 year
My mates parents live near the hymer factory, so for a laugh and to pee him off we persuaded his dad to take us to the Erwin hymer museum.

Well don't bother, its all in German, and is not really about hymers, just lots of old caravans with old cars (nice old cars). However the café restaurant served nice beer.

Apr 11, 2015
hull
Funster No
MH
Laika Ecovip 300
Exp
since 1988 with breaks until 2009
Read a post elsewhere, and not on the dark side, praising it and saying it was worth a visit, did explain it was not just about motorhomes though.

D

deleted-member02

Deleted User
We visited last week.

Granted, if you want the Hymer story you will be disappointed.

As a camping museum, we thought it was a great afternoon out.
It's full of nostalgia, I actually left wishing I'd been born 30yrs earlier.

They do have guided tours in English available on iPods (to loan) for those that want it.

We latter headed to Fussen, what a lovely town and area, so much to enjoy...

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
J

jb0371old

Free Member
Jul 8, 2011
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
Exp
1 year
That would make sense, we obviously had a German speaker who translated the bits we wanted.

Chipster

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 15, 2013
East Midlands
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Getting there!
As Moho above says,You can pick up a tablet device that lists all the exhibits in English. We thought it was ok. Camping hasn't quite the history of cars though!!

OP
OP
J

jb0371old

Free Member
Jul 8, 2011
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
Exp
1 year
The lady at the front knew we where English, and didn't know that our mate was German, but she didn't offer us the English iPod thingys. That probably would have changed my outlook somewhat.

Reactions: CWH
OP
OP
J

jb0371old

Free Member
Jul 8, 2011
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
Exp
1 year
My mates parents live in a small town (bainfurt) just outside of Ravensburg. We where there because of the rotenfest which is some sort of local festival, admittedly we just went for the beer tents although we did spend an afternoon by lake Konstance, drinking beer.

Jun 10, 2010
Shrewsbury (sometimes)
Funster No
MH
N&B Clou Liner MAN
Exp
What!!!!!!!!!!!!

The Germans have the temerity to have a museum in Germany where German is spoken and they dont do it all in English. This need to be sorted out right now! who knows where it will end!

Seriously- get over the language issue - even try learning a bit - and the Germans do museums very very well, Sinsheim where they have Concorde and Concordski on the roof and Himmlers staff car inside is one of my favourites but also Speyer, Mercedes and Porsche at Stutgart, BMW at Munchen, I enjoyed imensely and still got a few on the list yet to see.

Jon

OP
OP
J

jb0371old

Free Member
Jul 8, 2011
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
Exp
1 year
Calm down. I work for a German company and I do speak a little bit of German which is consistent with the profession I am in, therefore I cannot speak caravan German, most museums in Europe include English, including the Porsche and Mercedes museum which I have visited. My main point was that the lady didn't offer the English translation device.

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
We were disappointed enough with visit to showroom as van we went to see was unavailable due to hail damage:(

Anyway every year the interiors seem to become cheaper looking. Also learnt it's pronounced humer not himer:)

Candapack

Free Member
Oct 16, 2014
Fife, Scotland
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2013
We were disappointed enough with visit to showroom as van we went to see was unavailable due to hail damage:(

Anyway every year the interiors seem to become cheaper looking. Also learnt it's pronounced humer not himer:)
Now, is that "humer" pronounced Hummer, or Hoomer, or even Hewmer?

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back