Was that you emptying your Elsan over the cliff? (1 Viewer)

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
From the Whitby Gazette

A big clampdown on motor caravans parking overnight in the Yorkshire Coast holiday areas has been given the green light after years of protests by hoteliers and the tourist industry leaders.

North Yorkshire County Council’s Yorkshire Coast and Moors Area Committee councillors have agreed to tackle the long-standing issue of the motorised caravans parking up in key holiday areas at Whitby, Sandsend and other destinations such as Scarborough, Filey and Cayton Bay.

David Bowe, the authority’s Director of Business Services told the committee in a report, that questionnaire surveys had been carried out to explore the problem.

It said: “The most shocking comments concerned the emptying of chemical waste over cliffs, defecating in public areas in the streets, and reports of a resident counting 37 motor caravans parking for significant periods on North Promenade, Whitby.” Broken Link Removed

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
What they should be doing of course is providing proper facilities for MHs but two factors: perceived cost and the fear of "travellers" means they won't.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Last edited:

Eve

Free Member
Jan 29, 2015
Kent
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
20 years
I live by the coast in Kent,and get very annoyed ,when i see the comments about Motorhomes,in our local forums, recently M/H have been blamed for all the rubbish in the bins,many stupid comments made,from people who don,t even know the first thing about M/H.
The problem being we are a minority and don,t have a voice, if they provided something Similar to an Air de Service,ne beach and Towns,they would be used and provide a good income for the town.

The two big clubs are completely against haveing airs,so no help there!!!! It's rather sad that we have such small minded people,who cannot see the benefits ,even if it is only money of having an area designated purely for Motor Homes.

Feel better now I have got that of my chest.:party2:

trekkin

Free Member
Sep 12, 2014
Staffordshire
Funster No
MH
Rv
Exp
5 years but still learning
Easy really

All we have to do is rename ourselves "motor home travellers" then we can defacate in public, leave huge piles of rubbish, mainly rubble and garden waste, make the general area inhabitable, take anything we fancy and run riot.

Then no one will be able to stop us, and the authorities will bend over backwards to appease us

Apr 12, 2010
Bury St Edmunds, West Suffolk
Funster No
MH
Weinsberg Cara
Exp
since 2007
I will probably make myself unpopular here but why do we think we can park every where for free ?
If some one parked outside my house in a campervan, and they could, I would be more than displeased.
There are campsites, brit stops, CL s, and many more areas where you can stay cheaply and safely.
I stayed on a britstop, bought some produce off the owner who told me he was pulling out of britstops because too many people used all the facilities provided and cleared off early without so much as a thank you.
France is cheap but still people moan about paying anything.
Dont be so bloody tight.
Phil

DuxDeluxe

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 10, 2008
Planet Zog
Funster No
MH
A woosh bang van
Exp
since 2008
I will probably make myself unpopular here but why do we think we can park every where for free ?
If some one parked outside my house in a campervan, and they could, I would be more than displeased.
There are campsites, brit stops, CL s, and many more areas where you can stay cheaply and safely.
I stayed on a britstop, bought some produce off the owner who told me he was pulling out of britstops because too many people used all the facilities provided and cleared off early without so much as a thank you.
Dont be so bloody tight.
Phil
Exactly - the freeloaders ruin it for the others. Same as Old Hall Caister. They pulled out of Britstops for similar reasons. Now they charge £15 (with a £10 voucher to use in bar or restaurant) which is both fair and reasonable. In fact, I venture that it is a good thing in a way as it keeps the miserable tightwads away.

Edit..... Sorry, it was us emptying over the cliff, but the report was wrong. It was only grey waste, so that is OK ;)

Mikey RV

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 7, 2010
Devon
Funster No
MH
Burstner Elegance I821G
Exp
Since 1977
It's the same ol thing, a small minority ruin it for everyone. Some people think the world owes them a living. But are the first to moan about anything.

Oct 29, 2008
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
since 2008
I have followed Andy Strangeways campaigning. He submitted a FOI request for details about the complaints on waste tipping and he was informed that they were "anecdotal " So in other words they were either made up lies or completely unsubstantiated.

The recent meeting on making the Tempory Traffic Order a permanent one was attended by Andy. He reported back.
"I am delighted to announce, in addition to Broken Link Removed, that I am informed that the “No Motor Caravans” Order will not be introduced for Sandsend A174."

Broken Link Removed

mariner

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 21, 2013
Isle of Dogs, but mostly Artola Spain.
Funster No
MH
Caravan
Exp
Since 2007. But no more.
I think that if any individual town/village is prepared to pay for the facilities you speak of, then it's not such a bad idea, but to use County or District money, for the benefit of a few, can't really be justified to all tax payers.

Many, though not all, Free Aires are in places where no one would stop if they weren't there, making them a useful addition to the local community, and paid for by the same.

Local Towns and Villages should be allowed to provide Free facilities if they think it would be of benefit too them, but this should be funded entirely by themselves, not by County or District Councils.

:cooler:

Derbyshire wanderer

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 30, 2014
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
15 years
As usual, the minority have managed to affect the majority. Overnighting on the prom should be exactly that. Have one night and move on.
Most people get the occasional vehicle parked outside their property and would not give it a lot of thought till it appears to be there permanently. I am sure that the residents of Whitby ect notice the ones that are there for days on end.
Wild or free camping can easily be seen as freeloading and freeloaders tend to get people's backs up.

Oct 29, 2008
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
since 2008
I think that if any individual town/village is prepared to pay for the facilities you speak of, then it's not such a bad idea, but to use County or District money, for the benefit of a few, can't really be justified to all tax payers.

Many, though not all, Free Aires are in places where no one would stop if they weren't there, making them a useful addition to the local community, and paid for by the same.

Local Towns and Villages should be allowed to provide Free facilities if they think it would be of benefit too them, but this should be funded entirely by themselves, not by County or District Councils.

I spoke to a lot of small traders in Scarborough as the council was voicing its idea to ban the overnight parking of motorhomes. They did not want the ban they appreciated the money that they brought in, especially during the winter and out season times when caravans, tent campers etc were not there.

We used to go to Scarborough on a regular basis but once the council got arsey I said Fwck you and we don't go there. Fylde council had a problem in StAnnes. They solved it very simply by introducing paid overnight parking in a designated car park. Problem solved. Plus its a damn site nicer in StAnnes than Scarborough. We go there a lot now so I suppose I should thank Scarborough for pointing out that its a S#it Hole compared to StAnnes.

Its not the motorhomers that create the most waste. We visited once on a bank holiday, the bins were overflowing. The town was covered in rubbish and they have a serious problem with Sea Gull S#it.
We never saw one council waste collector or litter picker there. The council has its priorities seriously messed up.

Feb 22, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Nearly Tugging
Exp
Since 2004
Only problem with free Aires in UK , they would soon be taken up by those pleasant travellers who leave a mess everywhere whose name we mustn't mention, yes you got it p#k##s

dabhand

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 19, 2014
Staffs
Funster No
MH
Concorde carver E35
Exp
Since 1993
Dont be so bloody tight.
Phil
Is your house nice, with a nice view and close to a pub?

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
A vehicle for one night every night or one vehicle for two weeks would look much the same to the resident across the road from it.

Personally I don't want to park on the roadside, even for free, I would rather pay and park in the proper place, trouble is the councils won't put in proper places for us.

Martin

mariner

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 21, 2013
Isle of Dogs, but mostly Artola Spain.
Funster No
MH
Caravan
Exp
Since 2007. But no more.
Only problem with free Aires in UK , they would soon be taken up by those pleasant travellers who leave a mess everywhere whose name we mustn't mention, yes you got it p#k##s

So why does this not happen to Aires in other Countries, they have "Travellers too".

Wildman

Free Member
May 30, 2008
Ilfracombe, Devon
Funster No
MH
Amazon Ambassador
Exp
since 1967
with the thousand miles of coastline in the UK it seems criminal that parking charges are so high for those wishing to enjoy the coast for fishing, kayaking or motorhoming. The sea is a natural rescource we should all have the right to enjoy. We all pay an annual users tax on our motorhomes the authorities are glad to collect that, expecting someplace to park is not unreasonable. Why should a few profit from a natural recourse.

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012

Some of those you refer to came onto the aire in Gouda at around midnight by 9am the police arrived and gave them an hour to get sorted by 10 they were on their way AND paid the parking, not just one and all follow through the barrier as I was expecting, they let it come down and all paid.

Martin

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
Dont be so bloody tight.
Phil
I am not expecting councils to offer these facilities for free, a nominal charge for water and waste discharging is quite reasonable. Britstops are not the answer as the owners really do expect you to spend money with them - otherwise why would they be in the scheme? Britstops are a partial solution as the France Passion stops are in France - where they have lots of aires. Both are needed as are campsites and CLs but these tend to be out in the sticks whereas many French aires are within walking distance of towns and villages - which is why they were put there.

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
I would be quite happy to pay for the overnight, if they charge for water and dump it will not pay as everybody will take their waste somewhere else, over the cliff edge comes to mind.

Martin

Allanm

Free Member
Jun 30, 2013
Cotes d'armor, France
Funster No
MH
Burstner Harmony TI 736 G
Exp
Since 1987
Wild or free camping can easily be seen as freeloading and freeloaders tend to get people's backs up.
Or in Jezports post above, the "evidence" of wild campers emptying out rubbish was anecdotal, so it didn't really happen. Nor did Dover Council get hoards of complaints from residents complaining about motorhomes parking along Marine Parade or Canterbury Council have many complaints about parking in Tankerton along the front ( I was at that meeting)
They use anecdotal ( or just plain old made up) evidence and pass it to the press (who love a good story no matter if its true or not) to reinforce their decisions to ban motorhome parking.

golly

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 16, 2009
Land of the Prince Bishops
Funster No
MH
HYMERCAR PVC
Exp
since August 2009
Dont be so bloody tight.
Phil
I totally agree, if I were to wild camp or "free park" overnight, it wouldn't be at the side of the road in what is in fact a residential area. I think wild camping is good in the right place but not in a town or on a residential street and as we know motorhome ownership is increasing so the pressure on these areas is also. When comparing UK to France, remember France is about 2 1/2 times bigger and the population density is about half.

Feb 22, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Nearly Tugging
Exp
Since 2004
So why does this not happen to Aires in other Countries, they have "Travellers too".

Take the ROI as an example, height barriers in laybys, so they all came over here.
Perhaps other countries are more forceful in their approach, we see how only recently gypsies have taken over playing fields etc so IMO it follows that if free Aires were created the target users would never get on.

Eve

Free Member
Jan 29, 2015
Kent
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
20 years
Canterbury park and ride offers over night stays,and profit from allowing M/H to stay. I live in Deal,this morning there were 5 vans adjacent to the beach,just down the road is a very large car park,that locks the gates at 8pm!!!!
The council could set this up as a M/h Stop, charge £5.. It would stop complaints from residents,take them off the road,plus people would shop,if they put a notice up saying 24 hrs only parking,they would have the right to remove anyone!!!
I don,t mind paying,I just resent that there is no designated parking,and locals give M/H people a bad name.

Apart from that I am happy!:party2:

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Ok, hands up all those who shit in the streets !!!

What a load of old twaddle some folks talk.

Scarborough, Whitby and Filey all come under the umbrella of Scarborough council...AND YOU WILL NOT WIN NO MATTER WHAT.

the only way the council would change a pre-concieved decision would be through an act of parliament.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back