Importing a Frankia Motorhome (1 Viewer)

howardandsue

Free Member
Jan 7, 2014
Tadley, Hampshire
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
We imported a Frankia I 740, new from Germany, for the second time in 7 years.:Smile:

This time the rules and regulations had changed, and the process is a bit more complicated, but don’t let it put you off. Just follow a step by step approach and be patient. The steps you need to take may vary if you are importing from a different country or if it is second-hand.
The steps we took were:
1. Find a dealer convenient to the UK, Munich is a long way, Aachen is about 4 hours from the channel ports.
2. Negotiate a Euro price net of VAT. (The Caravan Salon at Düsseldorf is best for good discounts).
3. Insure the vehicle on a VIN – Vehicle ID Number (Safeguard, Saga and Comfort will do this in theory, but see below) from arrival at the UK channel port.
4. Book a ferry advising that you will let them know the registration number on arrival.
When the motorhome is ready for collection at the dealer:
5. Fly or take a train/coach to the dealer.
6. Register the motorhome for export, obtain insurance and obtain an export plate. Export plates ("Ausfuhrkennzeichen") are for vehicles being exported. The month/year on the right side indicates their maximum validity in Germany. Insurance is a separate matter - you can simply sign up for a short term insurance with the company of your choice, or have the dealer arrange it for you as most do. You do need the insurance cover and certificate before you can get the plates. As the insurance is 3rd party only we obtained 15 day insurance cover, enough to get us home.
7. Pay for the motorhome without VAT. The dealer may require you to deposit the VAT amount in their bank or in our case provide them with a Euro cheque, which they will return when you provide proof that you have paid the VAT to HM Customs and Excise in the UK (see below). Our bank would provide a Euro cheque but the amount would have been taken from our sterling bank account and credited back when the cheque is cancelled. It proved cheaper to open a Euro account, with a cheque book, depositing a nominal amount and close it again when the transaction was finished. This account also came in handy for buying Euros when the rate was good and using them to pay for the van by bank transfer.
8. Drive the motorhome or arrange for the motorhome to be transported back to the UK.
When the vehicle is home:
9. Modify the speedometer to show MPH. Our Mercedes had the ability to show a digital output in MPH but the Fiat did not so we obtained a replacement dial from Lockwood (www.lockwoodinternational.co.uk) and had it fitted by a local MOT garage.
10. Modify or replace the headlights to dip to the left. Ours are Hella low beam lights that can be adjusted by releasing 3 bolts, twisting the assembly and screwing bolts back, one in a different hole. Temporary solutions such as beam benders are not acceptable.
11. Modify the rear light clusters so that rear fog light is on the right. If not possible add an extra fog light in the centre or on the right and run a wire from the fog light on left. We had the dealer switch the position of the reversing and fog lights, rewiring appropriately.
12. A local MOT station needs to check that the work has been done and write a statement or an invoice (on headed paper giving their full contact details including their MOT test station number and VAT number and registered address or Companies House number and registered address. It needs to quote the 17 digit vehicle chassis (VIN) number, be dated and make clear the garage has worked on, or inspected the vehicle for conformity.
13. It is necessary to obtain a ‘proof of ‘Mutual Recognition’ certificate from the VCA/Department of Transport (http://www.direct.gov.uk/pdfs/apply-commission-notice-motorhomes.pdf) this will require you to complete a self certification form and send it with the Original European Certificate of Conformity (with 52 numbered items confirming that the vehicle is a motorhome), the above garage evidence that the vehicle meets the United Kingdom national requirements (UK specification headlights, dual marked speedometer, suitable rear fog-light(s)) and £100 payment.
14. While waiting for the VCA to send you a certificate you can deal with the VAT payment. You must send a Notification of Vehicle Arrivals (NOVA) form to HMCE within 14 days of the import or you may be fined.
You can do this online or ask the VAT helpline for a VAT NOVA1 form. You’ll need a Government Gateway account to use the online service. Vehicles can only be registered with the DVLA after you have confirmation that HMCE has processed the NOVA form. All notifications on progress are found online by checking the Nova progress periodically. The VAT receipt, sent by post, takes some time to arrive although an acknowledgement of payment received will be posted online immediately.
15. Send a copy of the confirmation to the dealer to return cheque or funds.
16. Now you can process the registration:
17. You will need to send the following by special delivery to DVLA Swansea SA99 1BE.
• completed form V55/5(registering a used vehicle for the 1st time, not V55/4 (new vehicle)as the vehicle was 1st registered in Germany)
• proof of ‘Mutual Recognition’
• foreign registration documents or any papers relating to the vehicle
• evidence showing the date the vehicle was collected (normally the invoice from the supplier)
• the appropriate HM Revenue and Customs forms, showing you’ve paid VAT and/or duty (if applicable)
• a copy of driving license (photocard and paper)
• a current British motor insurance certificate
• the cost of the vehicle tax
• the new registration fee of £55.00.
• an addressed special delivery envelope

All being well you should receive a Vehicle Registration Certificate (V5C), commonly known as a logbook, the vehicle tax disc and your identity documents by post without too much delay.
18. Get your plates made up and away you go. Easy wasn’t it.
Now for the problems:
Some Insurance companies that insure on a VIN will not provide cover for driving the vehicle from the port; they will only cover whilst the vehicle is at your home. Only Safeguard would provide cover for us, others may on cheaper motorhomes.
All insurers want a Thatcham approved alarm system, German dealer fitted systems are usually not approved. All insurers want the alarm fitted within 14 days but no insurer was initially prepared to cover us to drive to have an alarm fitted (safeguard eventually did agree to cover this after Vanbitz intervened with a telephone call to their contact) We had to drive on the German plates to Vanbitz as registration takes longer than 14 days.
All insurers require a registration number within 30 days even though the VCA quote 5 days and the DVLA quote 4-6 weeks. Safeguard allowed us an extension but it proved unnecessary as the registration finally occurred 32 days after the German registration and 26 days into the UK insurance. The process may have been quicker, but thinking we were registering a new vehicle, we first used form V55/4. This was returned to us with a form V55/5 which we completed and resent. Our registration when it arrived, logged the vehicle as new with no previous owners!
We found out that the German 3rd party insurance was good for the entire EU (including the UK) and allowed us to drive from Germany to home and to the local MOT station and back.

Further details on request, Frankia or other German manufacturers.

Sep 3, 2013
Crowthorne, Berkshire
Funster No
MH
1992 RMB Silver Star 670
Exp
One year. A whole one!
Welcome!

That was very comprehensive. :thumb:

A few minor differences from my very recent German import experience.

1. I sent only a copy of my passport. I didn't send my driving licence.

2. DVLA / MOT regulations accept imported vehicles with a Kph speedo and LHD headlights with beam benders. My RMB has the latter and passed his MOT without any problem.

3. Proof of mutual recognition applies to younger vehicles and not all. My 22 year-old RMB didn't need it.

4. All insurers don't want a Thatcham alarm. My insurance company (Flux) don't. But I agree that fitting one is a good thing to do.

For me, the export process wasn't hard work at all. It was thoroughly enjoyable and the collection made for an exceptionally exciting (and hectic) weekend.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Last edited:

Peter JohnsCross MH

Funster
Deceased RIP
Jan 5, 2008
East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
Exp
I personally if I was a private buyer would rather go to a reputable dealer, pay the price and not have all that hassle.

Plus if I had a problem, could easily go back to my UK supplier.

Peter

PS and thats because I have a dealership and if it goes wrong, expensive and problematic to get it sorted

Xabia

Free Member
Jan 20, 2011
Rural Nottinghamshire and Spain
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 1996
Thank you for going to the trouble to post such a comprehensive report.

I have imported twice, once in 2001 and again in 2007, much easier then as I had the local DVLA office in Nottingham to sort out the registration which was usually completed with a week or so.

On the general question of whether the savings are worth the hassle, well I saved over £20,000 each time, sold the first one after 4 years for the amount I paid for it new, the current one is worth around £4,000 less than I paid for it so I think it is. :Smile:

Mike

markov

Free Member
May 31, 2014
Leics, UK
Funster No
MH
Just looking
Exp
I'm a newbie
Can I please ask any Posters / Readers of this thread ... Did you import a LHD or a RHD vehicle?

Thanks!

Sep 3, 2013
Crowthorne, Berkshire
Funster No
MH
1992 RMB Silver Star 670
Exp
One year. A whole one!
Hi Markov. Welcome!:thumb:

Mine is a LHD. Makes no difference to the import process, or anything else as far as I can see. Just in case you're wondering.

Of course, you declare this on the registration documents with DVLA plus your insurance company and all is well.

markov

Free Member
May 31, 2014
Leics, UK
Funster No
MH
Just looking
Exp
I'm a newbie
Re-reading your post, howardandsue, I thought that if you paid VAT in an EU country, then you didn't have to pay in the country you come from? As Germany has a rate of 19% and the UK 20%, wouldn't this have offered a small extra saving, rather than paying it in the UK ...? Or did you not have this option?

Kind regards, Markov

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
Just how much did you save on your purchase to make all that hard work worthwhile??

Takes longer to read then to do....:)

With something like a Frakia I would guess savings in excess of 15k.

Excellent thread from OP later contributions not so accurate. One thing though. I find some german dealers can sort out speedo and headlight change.
This speeds up the registration process when you get home

Last edited:
Jul 5, 2013
Tunbridge Wells, Tunbridge Wells, UK
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
Takes longer to read then to do....:)

With something like a Frakia I would guess savings in excess of 15k.

Excellent thread from OP later contributions not so accurate. One thing though. I find some german dealers can sort out speedo and headlight change.
This speeds up the registration process when you get home
Thanks. Maybe thinking of buying a Carthago in the future. Was thinking of second hand, but may be able to get new if we import!

Which of the later contributions do you think is incorrect? Also do you need to buy VAT free and then pay UK VAT? I thought you could import anything without any further VAT if you had already paid VAT on it in another EU country. Or does that not apply to vehicles?

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
Thanks. Maybe thinking of buying a Carthago in the future. Was thinking of second hand, but may be able to get new if we import!

Which of the later contributions do you think is incorrect? Also do you need to buy VAT free and then pay UK VAT? I thought you could import anything without any further VAT if you had already paid VAT on it in another EU country. Or does that not apply to vehicles?
Has to be 6 months old with at least 6000 miles to avoid uk vat when buying used.

The post about stickers on headlights nonsense...it just causes confusion and muddys the water. Stickers just won't get passed VCA inspection. Unless you know a bent mot station. Anyway just because it got through an MOT don't make it legal as has to comply with uk construction and use regs

As for used Carthago not many around..some ex hire which can be a good buy but will need inspection. As some lead a hard life and at 6-9 months old can have the equivalent of years of private use......
New makes more sense I think, that way you get exactly what you want.

Eddie

Last edited:
R

Robert Clark

Deleted User
Hi Peter
We got 20% off our new Carthago from a UK dealer - let me know if you'd like their contact details
Maybe worth getting a quote, to compare with importing?

Regards
Robert

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
Many thanks for the info.

Re VAT - what about brand new with VAT paid in country of purchase?

Depends who you buy from. Some will let you export vat free, some will hold the vat till you supply evidence that uk vat paid

sallylillian

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 29, 2011
Falmouth, Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Palace Liner 90LO
Exp
As Judge said its not pick and mix, HMRC will want their dues, good thing is they calculate the VAT at superb exchange rates. Get yourself an online credential so you can do NOVA online as soon as you land in the UK. If the Euro dealer will not do a zero transaction, make sure you only put the net figure in the NOVA declaration. You get paper proof of VAT paid within a few days so your Euro VAT is not out too long. But I would try to get a NET deal with the dealer. Many of them know the score and are accommodating if they feel comfortable with you.

Jul 5, 2013
Tunbridge Wells, Tunbridge Wells, UK
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
Thanks for that and all the help. Rules seem very odd and against the principle of free movement of goods that I thought existed! If I buy anything else on my trips to the EU (or even over tinternet) I do not even have to declare them, let alone pay VAT on them when I bring them back!

Wonder if it is the same if you live in France and buy in Germany??

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
Motor vehicles different rules... At the end of the day your talking about 1%. Personally rather see the vat in uk exchequer....

Robbox

Free Member
Sep 2, 2015
Bath
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
Hi, bit late to the conversation, I imported a MH from Germany to UK in 2004. I bought the 3rd party insurance but when I got to Dover I called up Comfort who insured it on the VIN. But now you say the German insurance is actually valid in the UK. So that would mean one could do all the technical changes to the MH, get it MOT'd and all on the German insurance. Then once its registered at DVLA, any of the usual insurance companies will insure it. Obviously it's only 3rd party, so there is a risk. But if one does the very minimum mileage I guess its a calculated risk.
I called Comfort, seems they will only insure on the VIN if using an import dealer, looks like they no longer support personal imports and insuring on VIN. It would have to be registered before they insure. Other insurance companies haven't replied....

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
Hi, bit late to the conversation, I imported a MH from Germany to UK in 2004. I bought the 3rd party insurance but when I got to Dover I called up Comfort who insured it on the VIN. But now you say the German insurance is actually valid in the UK. So that would mean one could do all the technical changes to the MH, get it MOT'd and all on the German insurance. Then once its registered at DVLA, any of the usual insurance companies will insure it. Obviously it's only 3rd party, so there is a risk. But if one does the very minimum mileage I guess its a calculated risk.
I called Comfort, seems they will only insure on the VIN if using an import dealer, looks like they no longer support personal imports and insuring on VIN. It would have to be registered before they insure. Other insurance companies haven't replied....

I know one German dealer that offers fully comp export insurance, cant speak for others. They also do the speedo/headlight and foglight, making it quicker once you get it home.

there are a few UK companies that offer insurance on VIN once you enter the UK use the search facility? Safeguard are one...

Jun 16, 2013
Wiltshire
Funster No
MH
Low Profile Hymer CL 554
Exp
Since May 2014
I know one German dealer that offers fully comp export insurance, cant speak for others. They also do the speedo/headlight and foglight, making it quicker once you get it home.

there are a few UK companies that offer insurance on VIN once you enter the UK use the search facility? Safeguard are one...
Could you let me know which dealer this is? Thinking of the future MH, would be interested in the next couple of years.

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
Could you let me know which dealer this is? Thinking of the future MH, would be interested in the next couple of years.

They are not Frankia dealers if that's what your after.....drop me a PM

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
I personally if I was a private buyer would rather go to a reputable dealer, pay the price and not have all that hassle.

Plus if I had a problem, could easily go back to my UK supplier.
Why would I want to pay an extra £12,000 or at current rates an extra £20,000 when I can take my Hymer to any dealer in Europe to get problems sorted?
What hassle?

sallylillian

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 29, 2011
Falmouth, Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Palace Liner 90LO
Exp
No they don't, they use a 3 month exchange rate average, cost me an extra £90 over the what it should have been at the time.
When I was talking to them at the time, they had asked me to phone over a query, he said not sure what this month is I'll check, he quoted was nigh the interbank rate at the time 12th July.
Anyway £90 after saving tens of fousands!!!!

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
When I was talking to them at the time, they had asked me to phone over a query, he said not sure what this month is I'll check, he quoted was nigh the interbank rate at the time 12th July.
Anyway £90 after saving tens of fousands!!!!
Not the amount it's the principle.:)

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back