LIFE MEMBER
Oct 11, 2009
East Wittering. West Sussex.
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis i588
Exp
Started in 1980
Our motorhome is up for sale and advertised on eBay. We have had a number of enquiries. Today there were 3 requests to come and view. All asked for address details and motorhome registration. All were mobile numbers and stated that they were from, Hackney, Luton and Holyhead.
This evening when we were out had three separate calls and all reported that HPI checks revealed the vehicle was a category C insurance write off. After the third caller I told them to go forth and multiply as it was a scam.
Came home and for peace of mind and for the benefit of a genuine buyers I did a HPI check.
No surprise everything clear.
Not sure how the scam works but vehicle is on drive and alarmed and wheel clamped plus blocked in by the car.
Feel it should be reported, but to who ?
I do have the phone numbers but guarantee they will be PAYG.

irnbru

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 27, 2013
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Benimar 264
Exp
11 yrs
I would agree withe the PAYG numbers as well. Not sure either how the scam works. Maybe they want your info of MH so they can clone one.

So many scams nowadays its hard to tell.

Good for you in being vigilant. Good luck with your sale.

laird of Dunstan

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 15, 2015
lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido 9000DFH
Exp
ex caravanner
Tell them that you have an up to date hpi print out ,take a photo of it ,blank out part of the reG number and sent it too them.

Give them an address not where the Mh is kept and ask them to ring you at least 1 hour before they arrive as it is kept at a secure compound, and will have to collect it from there as the site owners do not allow viewings onsite

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Southdowners

Free Member
May 7, 2015
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Concorde Charisma
Exp
Since May 2015
I don't know what the scam could be but guess that the callers are hoping you'll accept that your MH is a write off and accept a low offer for it.

As you're selling via Ebay I think you should tell them. I would block the callers' numbers and amend your advert to show that it's HPI checked. I wouldn't have any more contact with them. By the way, how did the callers get hold of your phone number?

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
The scam might simply be they are trying to convince you it is a write off and they can then get it for a lower price. Bit like people knocking on doors and getting the owner to pay for repairs to the roof which aren't necessary. If they call enough people they will no doubt find someone who falls for it.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Nov 4, 2011
Uk
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Don't give your address, arrange to meet them at a different location.
When ever I sold my trail bikes I always sold them away from home and never gave my address.

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
Don't give your address, arrange to meet them at a different location.
When ever I sold my trail bikes I always sold them away from home and never gave my address.

But there again as a genuine buyer I would be put off if I didn't view at the home address.

Trust is a two way street.

Wickolad

Free Member
Sep 10, 2013
Wickersley
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Newbie to MH, 20yrs+ Caravanning.
I think you are right to be cautious, what harm is that doing. Try a Google search on "who called me ......." Insert the phone number after 'me', if that number has been used and reported in scams or previous 'suspicious' circumstances, it may well give some details. I always do this if I am getting repeated nuisance calls with no one at the other end and usually find its PPI, pensions or industrial deafness type rubbish, then I block the number. It's a good little search tool, gives an idea of who's behind the calls, you can also add your info re the call so that anyone else checking the same number gets the info. :)

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back