Lung and heart worm prevention (1 Viewer)

Mags52

Free Member
Jun 2, 2010
Melrose Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Hymer B774
Exp
Since 2010
We've just been to the vet to get our dog passports ready for our trip in September. We plan to wander through France, Spain and possibly into Portugal. The vet said that we should protect the dogs from lung and heart worm but one of ours is allergic to spot on treatments and currently there are no alternatives available in the UK.
He suggested that we go to a French vet as we move down into Southern France as they have more lung worm and might have different treatments. I know it's a long shot but has anyone else come across this problem and solved it?
Thanks
Mags

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
We bought some Milbemax worming tablets in France last year direct from a vet as it is a better wormer than you can usually get in the UK unless you get it from a vet here and pay a packet for it! You can ask your vet for a prescription so you can buy it online if you wish but it still makes it quite pricey. We got the chewy ones as they are easier to get the dogs to take but obviously cost a little bit more.

Jun 30, 2010
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
1992 VW Auto sleeper Mono
Exp
Since 2005 this time
We used to dose our Shepard against Heart worm every month, the cost was somewhere in the region of A$45 per. When I saw a Golden Lab suffering from Heart Worm, We never ever quibbled the cost of the A$45 again!

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Billy23

Free Member
Feb 10, 2012
On a planet...far, ....far away.
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
On and off 1995
Our dog is Spanish and we use Cardotek, you can buy it from Vets in Spain very easy. It is a tablet and we find that it is very good indeed, our Vet recommended it. Dose depends on size of dog our dog is about 10 kg and the cost about 30 Euro for a six month supply. Hope that helps.

Floydster

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 21, 2013
Where ever I lay my hat
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
A lifetime
Milbemax doesn't treat for lungworm, we use Advocate but it's a spot on.
As far as we found there isn't an oral treatment for lung worm in UK.

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
Don't know if it helps but I use Advocate on ours which covers lungworm. According to our vet there is nothing else available that covers for lungworm. I've no reason to doubt this as the combined Advocate treatment I buy is significantly cheaper than any alternative I've found.

Milnenax is just a tapeworm treatment so is no good for this.

cruiser

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 12, 2012
northampton
Funster No
MH
coach built elddis 400
Exp
since 1978
boy oh boy this is one of the reasons I am in this club. thanks funsters.(y)

OP
OP
Mags52

Mags52

Free Member
Jun 2, 2010
Melrose Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Hymer B774
Exp
Since 2010
Thanks folks. We can't use Advocate because the one time we did use it her skin broke out in a big weeping mass about 5cm diameter and she's only a little thing. She was in a terrible state. Vet says she can never have spot on treatments. We'll get to a vet as soon as we get down into France where lungworm is more prevalent. It's good to know that there are tablets in Spain thanks @Billy23
The tablets that are for ticks cost us £25 per tablet! They last 3 months but still a horrific price.
This forum is great - thanks so much for the advice and information.

Billy23

Free Member
Feb 10, 2012
On a planet...far, ....far away.
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
On and off 1995
The tablets that are for ticks cost us £25 per tablet! They last 3 months but still a horrific price.

Ah! Now ticks, once again our Spanish dog, has a Scalibor collar, that is for ticks (she never gets them) and mosquito`s (they can be very bad for dogs in Spain, but I understand most in Andalucia area) Our dog lives in Spain and with the Cardotek and Scalibor collar never had a problem.

I would point out that, it seems the Scaibor collar that you buy in Spain is different to the ones in the UK, so best buy in Spain (about 18 Euros).

sdc77

Free Member
Jan 28, 2013
Weardale, Co Durham
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
since 2011
Thanks folks. We can't use Advocate because the one time we did use it her skin broke out in a big weeping mass about 5cm diameter and she's only a little thing. She was in a terrible state. Vet says she can never have spot on treatments. We'll get to a vet as soon as we get down into France where lungworm is more prevalent. It's good to know that there are tablets in Spain thanks @Billy23
Ours has advocate ... but it's not a spot on. It's a prescription tablet

OP
OP
Mags52

Mags52

Free Member
Jun 2, 2010
Melrose Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Hymer B774
Exp
Since 2010
Ours has advocate ... but it's not a spot on. It's a prescription tablet
My vet didn't know of it as a tablet and I can't find it online. Can you point me in the right direction please? All the Advocate adverts refer to the spot on.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
My vet didn't know of it as a tablet and I can't find it online. Can you point me in the right direction please? All the Advocate adverts refer to the spot on.

sdc77

Free Member
Jan 28, 2013
Weardale, Co Durham
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
since 2011
Hmm I've just been batted round the head.. he has advocate spot on and drontal tablets ... sorry :Eeek:

Hollyberry

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2011
New Forest.
Funster No
MH
None.
Exp
4yrs
Take sensible precautions as well, don't leave dog bowls outside at night. Wash food and water bowls thoroughly. Don't leave any dog balls or toys outside on the ground.
It might also be worth translating and printing out a few veterinary requests, including the info of your dogs allergy, to prevent confusion if you visit a vet.

Sep 23, 2007
Leicestershire
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
4 and many as a tugger
Where is the best place to buy worming tablets. I see most folks take there own to the vets in France to get the passport stamped.
Is this due to cost ir keeping to the same brand tablet.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back