Jul 26, 2007
Europe
Funster No
MH
yes
Exp
Since before Motorhomefun
Why not look at a 2KW Kipor?

Cheaper and well tried by quite a few of us.

Link Removed

Last edited:
OP
OP
Linda and Steph
Jun 18, 2008
Lancaster
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
Since June 2008
Why not look at a 2KW Kipor?

Cheaper and well tried by quite a few of us.

Link Removed

I guess it was the Honda engine and 'Made in Britain' thing that caught my eye .....

Come to think of it, the Kipor IS probably better :Doh:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
I used to have a Stephill 3.5kw framed genny with a Honda engine, only reason I sold was it was too big and heavy, otherwise first class.

This model looks like a good genny, Honda engined and about half the price of the Honda EU20i .. IMO a better buy than a Kipor

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
Q. What do you say to the camper that has a Kippor?

A. Anything you like, he'll be deaf as a post::bigsmile:

45eEver

Free Member
Apr 15, 2009
Funster No
Road Runner, I suggest you consider getting the next size up generator to the one you think you want.

As long as you can A carry it, B store it, C afford it.

The rated output on a 2Kva Kipor is only 1.6Kva.

If you knew that already, well great minds etc.

I'm pleased with my Kipper.

Blisters

Free Member
Apr 2, 2008
Stoke on Trent
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
March 2006
Jim should that be "what do you say to a man(our anyone parked within 3 vans of him) who as a kippor:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:
we were at a recent meet where there were two gennies running a honda suit case, and a kippor, and you could hear the honda for the kippor, still they are much cheaper:thumb:

Road Runner

Free Member
Jul 26, 2007
Europe
Funster No
MH
yes
Exp
Q. What do you say to the camper that has a Kippor?

A. Anything you like, he'll be deaf as a post::bigsmile:

Yerr but your loaded Jim (blooming Honda owner):winky:I am not:cry:

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
Hi John, I wish I was loaded, I'm presently looking for a pot to pee in:whatthe:

We were next to a Kipoor stand at Peterborough, they were selling loads. Most people only have them for emergency use, if that's the case then get one. However, if you are full timing or use a genny regularly then maybe you should save up for a Honda, I know you won't regret it if you do, they are superb machines. They make less noise loaded than a Kipoor on tickover:Smile:

: Shouting: ISN'T THAT RIGHT JOHN :ROFLMAO:

Road Runner

Free Member
Jul 26, 2007
Europe
Funster No
MH
yes
Exp
Hi John, I wish I was loaded, I'm presently looking for a pot to pee in:whatthe:

But you were giving Fun flyer out at Peterborough wrapped in fivers and tenners to Kipor owners:winky::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Last edited:

Planetgen

Free Member
Apr 29, 2009
Taunton
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
As the chap that supplies the man that sells loads at the shows, I feel qualified to talk about this, hi by the way my name is Simon Jones. To those that know me (Eddie Vanbitz's son!)
Stephill are good, but very expensive when they go wrong.
Kipor are good but unreliable in the long run.
As an alternative why not look at a Planet? 2 year Warranty. Beaten only by Hondas 5 year warranty.
Simon

OP
OP
Linda and Steph
Jun 18, 2008
Lancaster
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
Since June 2008
As the chap that supplies the man that sells loads at the shows, I feel qualified to talk about this, hi by the way my name is Simon Jones. To those that know me (Eddie Vanbitz's son!)
Stephill are good, but very expensive when they go wrong.
Kipor are good but unreliable in the long run.
As an alternative why not look at a Planet? 2 year Warranty. Beaten only by Hondas 5 year warranty.
Simon

What sort of price are we looking at?

Road Runner

Free Member
Jul 26, 2007
Europe
Funster No
MH
yes
Exp
My Kipor's 3 years old and still going well, one problem dirty fuel but was easily sorted and could happen to any generator:winky:

PS:- how about supporting the site with an advert? sure it would be worth it with your products:thumb:

Last edited:

45eEver

Free Member
Apr 15, 2009
Funster No
Kipper noise levels, 54db to 59db
Tickover, and full load.

Honda only give 1 level, at 52Db.
Seems like they are a bit shy about the full load level.

So, yes, Kipor is a bit louder at tickover.
I couldn't find any data on Honda's full load noise level.

Try this page for Kipper info
Link Removed

And this for Honda guff.
Link Removed

The above is for the 2kv gennies,
Both of which only produce 1.6kva

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
Timberland
The above is for the 2kv gennies,
Both of which only produce 1.6kva

Slight unit error !

I think you meant to say 2kva only produce 1.6kw

The Honda is rated at max 2kw or 2.5kva
.......................continuous 1.6kw or 2kva

Last edited:

45eEver

Free Member
Apr 15, 2009
Funster No
ScotJimLand

What do you see as the difference between Kva and watts at this level please Jim?

"A volt-ampere in electrical terms, is the amount of power in an alternating current (AC) circuit equal to a current flow of one ampere at an electromotive force of one volt. It is equivalent to watts for non-reactive circuits and in the strictest sense is identical, but by convention the two are used as units for subtly different physical quantities. The instantaneous real power delivered to any load is the voltage across the load at a given instant times the current through the load at that same instant. Making such a measurement requires an instrument that can make simultaneous instantaneous measurements of current and voltage. If separate current and voltage instruments that are incapable of coordinating their measurements are used, and which give root mean square measurements, and the two measurements are multiplied, the result will be apparent power; for reactive loads (loads containing capacitance or inductance), apparent power is greater than real power. By convention, the unit of measure for apparent power is the volt-ampere. For resistive loads, real power equals apparent power; incandescent lights, electric heating elements, and toasters are examples of nearly resistive loads. (Ciletti et al. 1993, 82, for incandescent lights)
While the volt-ampere (abbreviated VA) and the watt are dimensionally equivalent one may find products rated in both VAs and watts with different numbers. This is common practice on UPSs (Uninterruptible Power Supplies). The VA rating is the apparent power that a UPS is capable of producing, while the watt rating is the real power (or true power) it is capable of producing, as opposed to reactive power. In the type of loads often used with UPSs, such as computers, the apparent power used (volt-amperes) will be larger than the true power used (watts). The ratio of these two quantities is called the power factor."

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
Timberland
ScotJimLand

What do you see as the difference between Kva and watts at this level please Jim?

I pointed out an error in your post.. .. maybe a typo, maybe not.

it's important to understand the difference between kva and kw .. especially when buying .. the difference may not be much but it is significant ..

People understand kw, that's what domestic appliances are rated in.. kva is for designers and engineers, not motorhomers..

A 2kva genny is only 1.6kw .. this is where the confusion arises.. and people are misled.

edit

useful electrical unit converter .. http://www.dieselserviceandsupply.com
/Power_Calculator.aspx

Last edited:

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
Timberland

"A volt-ampere in electrical terms, is the amount of power in an alternating current (AC) circuit equal to a current flow of one ampere at an electromotive force of one volt. It is equivalent to watts for non-reactive circuits and in the strictest sense is identical, but by convention the two are used as units for subtly different physical quantities. The instantaneous real power delivered to any load is the voltage across the load at a given instant times the current through the load at that same instant. Making such a measurement requires an instrument that can make simultaneous instantaneous measurements of current and voltage. If separate current and voltage instruments that are incapable of coordinating their measurements are used, and which give root mean square measurements, and the two measurements are multiplied, the result will be apparent power; for reactive loads (loads containing capacitance or inductance), apparent power is greater than real power. By convention, the unit of measure for apparent power is the volt-ampere. For resistive loads, real power equals apparent power; incandescent lights, electric heating elements, and toasters are examples of nearly resistive loads. (Ciletti et al. 1993, 82, for incandescent lights)
While the volt-ampere (abbreviated VA) and the watt are dimensionally equivalent one may find products rated in both VAs and watts with different numbers. This is common practice on UPSs (Uninterruptible Power Supplies). The VA rating is the apparent power that a UPS is capable of producing, while the watt rating is the real power (or true power) it is capable of producing, as opposed to reactive power. In the type of loads often used with UPSs, such as computers, the apparent power used (volt-amperes) will be larger than the true power used (watts). The ratio of these two quantities is called the power factor."

I deliberately kept it simple sweetheart.

I'm so glad you did sweetheart ... :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Blisters

Free Member
Apr 2, 2008
Stoke on Trent
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
March 2006
We like jim own a Honda, and like jim we're not loaded either.

We used to be until we brought a Honda though:ROFLMAO: still anything for a quiet life

45eEver

Free Member
Apr 15, 2009
Funster No
It seems as though you are unfamiliar with the normal KISS Principle.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Kiss ScotJimLand Kiss.

I deliberately kept it simple sweetheart.

problem is you didnt "keep it simple, stupid"......

most of us understand "kick it into submission" but are lost on the "Tefal scientist" stuff.

extremely technical stuff will make folks ignore posts rather than take an interest.

so, please "keep it simple, stupid" is the way foreward....

an alternator makes electric...we dont need to know how...a battery is a box you keep electric in..we dont need to know how....a TV or fridge is something you pour the electric in the box into.....now thats simple.

45eEver isnt an anagram for George Telford by any chance ?

Last edited:

45eEver

Free Member
Apr 15, 2009
Funster No
PappaJohn
45eEver is not an anagram for anything.
As far as I know.

I am not George Telford.

Reading my guff is entirely optional.
I am very happy for you to continue your Luddite approach.

Last edited:

Munchie

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 28, 2007
Camping Les Vigeres
Funster No
MH
Font Vendôme
Exp
Since 2004
Just got my 1kv Kippor out after more than 12 months. Cleaned the plug and bled the fuel, started first pull and running sweet as a nut. :thumb:t

Planetgen

Free Member
Apr 29, 2009
Taunton
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
I would be up for supporting the site, not a problem. Price wise, Planet 1 - £325, Planet 2 - £440 Planet 3 £525 - so cheap as chips with a 2 year warranty!

Please feel free to come and see them at Stratford, we will be supporting MTC up there. We could even give Jim commission for every one sold of this site! :Cool:

Si

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back