Welsh girl

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 7, 2009
Funster No
MH
Globecar
Exp
Since 2004
We are on an Aire inAgon-Coutainville,worth just 2 amp electric. What's the point of that. Can only run the fridge, the battery charger, the tablet, the phone and the humax free sat box.
The water heater can be run on 500 but that trips with nothing else on.
Can't even use the 650w kettle.
The area is nice though, haven't seen a site with electric so low.
Just as well my hair is short, no hairdryer to work on that.

Apr 13, 2012
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta Euroyacht
Exp
1996, then break 'til 2011

.............mmmmm............. must be a wind-up......(y)

:)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
Can only run the fridge, the battery charger, the tablet, the phone and the humax free sat box.

Have you not answered your own question?

For a stop over do you really need anything else?

We have not found many aires with electric, but I am sure if 16A was made available it would be abused, was there a charge for it?

I do however agree that I have never seen one as low as that before, but if I was giving it free it is all I would allow :D

you could always run an inverter off the charging batteries (y)

OP
OP
Welsh girl

Welsh girl

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 7, 2009
Funster No
MH
Globecar
Exp
Since 2004
Never thought of that David. Good idea. Maybe next time we're leaving today. Just had 2 nights. Enough to boost our batteries I suppose?
Not free. We're paying €5.80 a night.
Mind we're next door to a camp site run by the same people. They are paying €20 a night.
I notice aires charge near the coast.

OP
OP
Welsh girl

Welsh girl

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 7, 2009
Funster No
MH
Globecar
Exp
Since 2004
Yes using gas for cooking,kettle and hot water for showering and washing dishes.

OP
OP
Welsh girl

Welsh girl

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 7, 2009
Funster No
MH
Globecar
Exp
Since 2004
This is only the third Aire in 7 weeks we've found with electric. I just mentioned that its very low.

keith

Free Member
Aug 25, 2007
Ecclefechan
Funster No
MH
Autocruise Starseeker
Exp
Caravaning since 1974 - Motorhoming since 2003
Never thought of that David. Good idea. Maybe next time we're leaving today. Just had 2 nights. Enough to boost our batteries I suppose?
Not free. We're paying €5.80 a night.
Mind we're next door to a camp site run by the same people. They are paying €20 a night.
I notice aires charge near the coast.
So that's why it's only 2 amp, they want you to go on site.

Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
This is only the third Aire in 7 weeks we've found with electric. I just mentioned that its very low.

and a good mention it was too, trouble is you asked us what s the point of that?

so we all felt obliged to answer :LOL::LOL:

we have so far not paid for an aire (about 20 nights) we have seen electrics but never enough for all pitches and either chargeable so we don't bother with token etc or taken up by those arriving long before us

enjoy your trip, and thanks for the 'mention' :)(y)

Last edited:

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
It is possible that they only have a minimal cable to the hook up box so they split it down to 2 amps to restrict the total load but everybody gets a bit.

There is an aire at Nersac with electric and certainly more than 2 amps and it all free, and not much in the town to spend any spare cash on.

Martin

JJ

Mágica
May 1, 2008
Quinta Majay, Pinheiro Bordalo, Portugal
Funster No
MH
Burstner Privilege T
Exp
over 50 years
Woosies!

I am having a very pleasant overnight with 0 amps on the hookup.

Gas running one fridge and water heater and solar running the Engel compressor fridge and, of course, the 12 volt Travelcool evaporator blown air cooler.

No hair dryer as mine is shorter than yours!

Note 4, mi-fi, bluetooth keyboard, Seagate wireless hard drive, sat nav and bluetooth speakers all solar charged via USB.

Now... time to get up.

JJ :cool:

OP
OP
Welsh girl

Welsh girl

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 7, 2009
Funster No
MH
Globecar
Exp
Since 2004
I think there is a problem with our charging capabilities. We can't last more than 3 days without ehu unless we drive somewhere. 85w panel and 2 x110amp batteries should last longer than that. You @JJ amongst others seem to last for ever without hookup.

Apr 13, 2012
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta Euroyacht
Exp
Woosies!

I am having a very pleasant overnight with 0 amps on the hookup.
Gas running one fridge and water heater and solar running the Engel compressor fridge and, of course, the 12 volt Travelcool evaporator blown air cooler.
No hair dryer as mine is shorter than yours!
Note 4, mi-fi, bluetooth keyboard, Seagate wireless hard drive, sat nav and bluetooth speakers all solar charged via USB.
Now... time to get up.

Luxury!

Don't use the fridge, ice from the supermarket with shopping every other day...................hot water?.........

(y)

Apr 13, 2012
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta Euroyacht
Exp
Of course... I can afford luxury... I don't fritter money away on campsite fees and I bank with Barclays for FREE.

Barclays..........wonderful bank..........did I ever tell you................:sleep::sleep::sleep::sleep:

(y)

Reactions: JJ
Jan 3, 2008
Pakefield, Lowestoft, Suffolk, UK
Funster No
MH
Looking
Exp
We are on an Aire inAgon-Coutainville,worth just 2 amp electric. What's the point of that. Can only run the fridge, the battery charger, the tablet, the phone and the humax free sat box.
The water heater can be run on 500 but that trips with nothing else on.
Can't even use the 650w kettle.
The area is nice though, haven't seen a site with electric so low.
Just as well my hair is short, no hairdryer to work on that.

You are running your fridge,battery charger,tablet,and free sat box. you just put water heating on gas. Whats the problem with that.

JJ

Mágica
May 1, 2008
Quinta Majay, Pinheiro Bordalo, Portugal
Funster No
MH
Burstner Privilege T
Exp
over 50 years
I know Mr Basher... I know.

Just going to punch a few buttons on my very clever smart phone and those wonderful people at Barclays will send some of this month's "reward for staying alive" money to CurrencyFair who will find someone to swap it for euros and then send the euros to Portugal.

All free.

Apr 22, 2013
Cotswolds
Funster No
MH
Bailey Approach 625
Exp
Since 2011
We have stay at a couple of aires that specify that electricity is to used only for charging batteries.
As the supply on those aires was a full 16A supply I guess its abused. The two Amp aires looks like they are trying to enforce the rule.

In German I noticed that several stellplatz offer electric at 2 euros for 24hours or 2 unit which ever is the sooner.
Now a euro a unit is expensive power but being able to fully recharge batteries for two euros would sound very reasonable to some.

Solar panels, big batteries and an inverter works well for us.

autoswan

Free Member
Apr 3, 2012
Swansea
Funster No
MH
coach built
Exp
i`m a newbie
We stayed there in agon coatainville a couple of weeks ago after the ferry to Cherbourg, it kept tripping off for us what ever we tried plugging in ! French guy said it was only 3amp so I just put the lead away and roughed it :D only there 1 night and apart from 4 nights on a site we've had no hook up spare on aires to plug in except for at port Louis where a French woman unplugged me and put a treble adapter plug in to share the point. I need to get one of those it would be handy for the odd hook up points we have seen but always occupied by the French campers for a week there like in Les sables
D O'Lonne earlier !

snowdrops

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 15, 2013
Wales
Funster No
MH
van conversion
Exp
2 years
We can go without leccy if necessary, for up to 4 days. Bung hair up into clip, use £4 kettle on the gas as we always do anyway. Got an amazing wind up radio and also can charge the ipod and ipod speaker thro 12v. Our compressor fridge runs off battery for the 4 days. and as aires are usually just a stopover no probs. Probably best go for campsites if want the whole array of camping luxury :)

TerryL

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 5, 2010
North East
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
I think there is a problem with our charging capabilities. We can't last more than 3 days without ehu unless we drive somewhere. 85w panel and 2 x110amp batteries should last longer than that. You @JJ amongst others seem to last for ever without hookup.

With our 100w panel and 2x110 amp batteries we can last almost forever - but it all depends on what you are running?

We met a couple in Spain earlier this year who wondered why their battery (yeh 1x100amp) on their new van wouldn't last one day. Turned out the satellite TV was on constantly, they were charging 2 laptops plus a phone as well as all the other usual gubbins. They'd just got the van and nobody had explained the electrics - so a quick lesson and they were sorted. Even got them signed up to Fun.

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
Wouldn't run Martin's medical equipment :( That's why we use sites if we need to be somewhere for more than a single night.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back