bristling with electronics and maybe CS gas (1 Viewer)

filopastry

Free Member
Nov 11, 2013
london
Funster No
MH
littleun
Exp
newbie and learning every day
Ah we made it !! first outing completed safely with no horrid shocks, except my bum is too big for the lavvy.
Lily (motorhome) is now buzzing with electronics; hope the batteries can cope. Safety first and we now sport, dual reversing cameras, reversing radar, smoke detector, CO2 detector and toxic gasses detector. HELL the village lights dim when I start her up but hopefully it means me and 'er indoors will sleep sound at night.

Having talked with fellow motorhomers here in France, they seem to have a variety of "defence aids" ranging from gert big sticks to knives that would make "crocodile Dundee" whince, only worry is some of these chappies are not in the first flush of youth and should they be unfortunate enough to meet a "naughty chappie" these "defence aids" could be taken off them and then used against them. Seriously considering the CS gas sprays as an option as they can be used at a distance (not a lot I know) and are freely available here in France.

Thoughts views and ideas welcome, as long as they are the same as mine...... but leave 'em anyway

Mousy

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 13, 2013
Sa15 2DG
Funster No
MH
Hymer S840 Merc auto
Exp
Since 2013
Unless you are planning on sorting out the Chunnel crisis singlehanded I'd leave all that "defence" alone.

Christ man you are supposed to be on holiday not staring in mission impossible.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
filopastry

filopastry

Free Member
Nov 11, 2013
london
Funster No
MH
littleun
Exp
French registered motorhome, living and registered in France, don't know it'll make a bucket of difference if caught in UK with the French CS gas canister but reckon I'd take the chance, they are smallish too so no real reason they should be spotted on a standard "'ello ello wots all this then" type stop n check.... and tiny little bonus, French plates "ye old plod" probably wouldn't want to stop a "froggy" cos of the lingo probs... can you use the pepper spray on the fish n chips too?? next we'll have salt spray (hee hee)

OP
OP
filopastry

filopastry

Free Member
Nov 11, 2013
london
Funster No
MH
littleun
Exp
Unless you are planning on sorting out the Chunnel crisis singlehanded I'd leave all that "defence" alone.

Christ man you are supposed to be on holiday not staring in mission impossible.

Mission improbable is more our mark ..... happy to say our lives are a holiday these days ... don't like the sticks n stabby things myself but the spray does have appeal must.

OP
OP
filopastry

filopastry

Free Member
Nov 11, 2013
london
Funster No
MH
littleun
Exp
Pepper on fish n chips :eek:
you've been in France far too long. :D

I am ashamed ....... Yorshire man that I am, you're right "pepper on fish n chips" salt n vinegar, scraps and wrapped up in newspaper .... ahhh!! the things we miss .... but no..... not been in France too long ... not yet anyway..... avey vous un cuppa !! as an advert with monkeys (chimps) used to say

CandC

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 22, 2014
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Old School :D
Exp
Used to go with the olds! Now I have one of my own :)
Whether rightly or wrongly, the law states that possession of cs gas, anywhere in the UK is an offence under section 5(1) of the FIREARMS act. Just making you aware. :)

Mousy

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 13, 2013
Sa15 2DG
Funster No
MH
Hymer S840 Merc auto
Exp
Since 2013
Who are you planning on spraying?

autoswan

Free Member
Apr 3, 2012
Swansea
Funster No
MH
coach built
Exp
i`m a newbie
I've got a steering wheel clamp on lock which could double as thors hammer if called upon ! :D

Mousy

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 13, 2013
Sa15 2DG
Funster No
MH
Hymer S840 Merc auto
Exp
Since 2013
might start with the French farmers

Think you'll find they've got bigger sprayers..,

image.jpg

Abacist

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 15, 2013
Devon
Funster No
MH
N & B Tag Axle
Exp
since 2013
How to win friends and influence people!

Spray them with manure and expect them to become sympathetic!

I don't think so!

Allanm

Free Member
Jun 30, 2013
Cotes d'armor, France
Funster No
MH
Burstner Harmony TI 736 G
Exp
Since 1987
We carry two dogs in our van, the Beagle will bite anyone that approaches him, as numerous French market stall holders will testify...............

Anthony496

Free Member
Jul 18, 2015
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
Coach built
Exp
I'm a newbie
Just read the posts above, surely spraying CS gas inside the van will blind most of the occupants and probably cause more hassle to you. Your better off with a good alarm with panic facilty, no intruder/thief will be willing to remain there with an alarm going off and everyone awake.

You don't have to worry about the firearms risk when coming back to the uk either.

Good luck either way :)

Movinon

Free Member
Feb 1, 2012
UK
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Lots
I wonder why anyone would wish to visit a place where they felt self-defence weapons were recommended. I have spoken to many people over the years who were quick to tell me that they would never camp outside a caravan park as it was too dangerous. I rarely ever use CPs and I've never had a problem. Except once. In 1982 my van was stoned by a couple of French boys. We were in a CP at the time.

May 29, 2013
Tyneside
Funster No
MH
Chausson best of Flash 10
Exp
Several years now
We have both a large torch and a large crook lock type thing. Both of which as in easy reach.............

Been meaning to get on of those oven cleaning sprays for cleaning the grill, you know, the ones that really , really hurt if sprayed in your eyes by accident. Pretty sure they are not illegal in most countries........

mariner

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 21, 2013
Isle of Dogs, but mostly Artola Spain.
Funster No
MH
Caravan
Exp
Since 2007. But no more.
No point in bringing your Pepper Spray/CS spray to the UK.

Get caught with it in your possession and you could be in the s**t.

Use it and your in seriously deep s**t.

Best leave it at home.

:cooler:

JJ

Mágica
May 1, 2008
Quinta Majay, Pinheiro Bordalo, Portugal
Funster No
MH
Burstner Privilege T
Exp
over 50 years
What the hell is wrong with me?

I must be mad.

I don't have...

...a reversing camera (single or twin) or a reversing radar or a smoke detector or a CO2 detector or a (yeah right) "toxic" gas detector or any big knives or machetes or CS gas spray or Pepper Spray and yet...

I am still here despite all the decades of motorhoming I have done.

JJ :cool:

Ethle the wondervan

Free Member
Mar 13, 2015
Peak District
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
One year
Is a lump of metal, plastic and rotting plywood worth fighting for?

Any nasty determined criminal would easily disarm most of us old codgers and use our feeble 'weapons' against us. We are not experience street fighters.

If caught with weapons we can be prevented from travelling and prosecuted. We have been searched thoroughly at Dover, so it does happen.

Having said that:-

CS gas is illegal in the UK but aerosol di-icer is just as effective on the eye's......

A one meter long piece of scaffold pole (extra leverage for the wheel brace and/or jack, officer!) is easy to carry. Mine takes up no space clipped behind the drivers seat next to the axe handle.....

In practice, I would be more likely to make any thieves a cup of tea while they search for stuff they want, or take them through a full handover routine and ask politely if I can take photo's because Iv'e never been robbed before.

Movinon

Free Member
Feb 1, 2012
UK
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Lots
Attitude, experience and a knowledge of body language are your best defences. Also the ability to run fast should not be overlooked.

Wickolad

Free Member
Sep 10, 2013
Wickersley
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Newbie to MH, 20yrs+ Caravanning.
A small pot of extra hot chilli powder is all you need, 99p, legal as its there just to spice up your food....nothing else. It's pepper spray minus the propellant. Not very effective if you leave the cap on though. :)

OP
OP
filopastry

filopastry

Free Member
Nov 11, 2013
london
Funster No
MH
littleun
Exp
What the hell is wrong with me?

I must be mad.

I don't have...

...a reversing camera (single or twin) or a reversing radar or a smoke detector or a CO2 detector or a (yeah right) "toxic" gas detector or any big knives or machetes or CS gas spray or Pepper Spray and yet...

I am still here despite all the decades of motorhoming I have done.

JJ :cool:

I know, I must be sad reversing camera and radar but the costs of repairs are rather high and the camera also works as a rear view camera which mine doesn't have cos of the garage at the back. No change of mind though on the smoke detector or CO2, we have gas equipment that runs during the night and I have sadly seen first hand the results of a house fire and the risks of CO2 cannot be overstated.. I have to wonder how many very unhappy people would turn back time and install such items if they could. Toxic gas detectors are not expensive and having been a long distance lorry driver since god was a boy I know these instances do happen, its an insurance, you pay for it and pray to god you never need it. Reflecting on the CS gas and maybe not one of my best ideas ........ maybe I'll just hide the beer for 'er indoors, that'll make her LIVID ... no-one will dare come close

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back