Deceased RIP
Jan 5, 2008
East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
Exp
Just wondered,

Have an Air Arms .22 TX 200 and a Weihrauch .177 HW45 pistol.

Enjoy both target and rabbit shooting, member of the Air Arms Owners Club.

Jim

Hi Jim,

I have a .22, think its a Bisley, no name but three rifles in a trangle trade mark on the butt with a Bisley telescopic sight.

Use it for knocking off the blasted squirels that keep nicking the birds food. Hard to kill the little tikes.

Peter

geoff587

Free Member
Feb 13, 2009
Doncaster
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
Exp
3 Rifles is the old BSA trade mark, Birmingham Small Arms :thumb:
In my armoury at the moment a Stirling .22 and a Wiehrauch Carbine .22 Both quite good at making rabbits and rats do somersaults .

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Last edited:

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
I Have a Weirauch HW100 which is solely for putting rabbits in the pot. It does this very well. Its a 14 shot, bolt action gun that is whisper quiet. So quiet that you can sometimes get a second rabbit whilst it's wondering why his mate just fell over!:Smile:

hw%20100%20s.jpg

Last edited:
Apr 18, 2009
Englishman in Mid Wales
Funster No
MH
Hymer B584, A Class
Exp
Not long enough!
Hi Jim
Yes been shooting for most of my life and was quite involved with Field Target a few years back and enjoyed it immensely but now have a Air Arms S310 and a BSA XL Tactical both in .177 just for fun and occasional rat.
In fact Jim my first field target rifle was a TX200 and a more accurate of the shelf rifle you could ever wish for.:Smile:

Got any thoughts on which caliber is the best:whistle::whistle:

OP
OP
scotjimland

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
I Have a [FONT=arial,sans-serif][SIZE=-1]Weirauch [/SIZE][/FONT]HW100 which is solely for putting rabbits in the pot.

So quiet that you can sometimes get a second rabbit whilst it's wondering why his mate just fell over!:Smile:

Nice bit of kit Jim .. had a try of one recently.. completely different from a springer .. very tempted but swmbo wasn't .. :cry:

but isn't that cheating .. :roflmto::roflmto:

OP
OP
scotjimland

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
Timberland
Hi Jim
Yes been shooting for most of my life and was quite involved with Field Target a few years back and enjoyed it immensely but now have a Air Arms S310 and a BSA XL Tactical both in .177 just for fun and occasional rat.
In fact Jim my first field target rifle was a TX200 and a more accurate of the shelf rifle you could ever wish for.:Smile:

Got any thoughts on which caliber is the best:whistle::whistle:

Nope.. that's the start of a 'gassing' thread .. :roflmto::roflmto:

posts are legion on the subject.. but I prefer .22 for hunting.. now I've said it :ROFLMAO:

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
Nice bit of kit Jim .. had a try of one recently.. completely different from a springer .. very tempted but swmbo wasn't .. :cry:

but isn't that cheating .. :roflmto::roflmto:

Its only cheating when you get the second off quick::bigsmile: Young James has my old beloved springer, the HW57 Underlever and they don't come much better, its a tad big for him but he rarely misses, he uses spinning targets as well as the magnetic fairground type, plinking is a great way to waste an hour. :Smile:

Link Removed

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
When head shots are important I always reckoned 177 was best. It has a flatter trajectory over the short distances used for rabbits and vermin..... But the stopping power of the 22 should not be dismissed::bigsmile: So the debate rolls on:roflmto:

I haven't shot 177 for 35 years :Eeek:

Apr 18, 2009
Englishman in Mid Wales
Funster No
MH
Hymer B584, A Class
Exp
Not long enough!
When head shots are important I always reckoned 177 was best. It has a flatter trajectory over the short distances used for rabbits and vermin..... But the stopping power of the 22 should not be dismissed::bigsmile: So the debate rolls on:roflmto:

I haven't shot 177 for 35 years :Eeek:

Hi Jim
That fence is pretty high:ROFLMAO:
The S310 is for sale if you would like to try the the more accurate caliber:winky::winky:

Apr 18, 2009
Englishman in Mid Wales
Funster No
MH
Hymer B584, A Class
Exp
Not long enough!
Oops sorry guys just read through my posts, Ill back off don,t want to ruin a good thread:Blush::Blush:
Carry on:thumb:

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
Anyone know the diesel trick :)

Years ago I used to dribble a few drops of light oil, 3in1, into the compressor ( on a break action ) and then on the 2nd or third quick shot there is a real kick and boy does that shot hit hard.

OP
OP
scotjimland

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
Timberland
Anyone know the diesel trick :)

Years ago I used to dribble a few drops of light oil, 3in1, into the compressor ( on a break action ) and then on the 2nd or third quick shot there is a real kick and boy does that shot hit hard.

called Dieselling .. the fastest way to ruin a rifle.. should be avoided at all cost. !

Apr 18, 2009
Englishman in Mid Wales
Funster No
MH
Hymer B584, A Class
Exp
Not long enough!
If you search gassing or gas attacks..

A thread about alleged gassing attacks on motorhomes by thieves, rendering the occupants unconscious while the van is ransacked .. a never ending discussion with no end or final conclusion ..

Ah right yes I see what you mean:Smile:::bigsmile::roflmto:
Have you got much land to shoot over Jim?

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
Give me a 12 bore any day, Instant rabbit stew:Eeek:

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
Yes its an underestimated, good quality meat. We all eat Rabbit except Ginnie; she does when we trick her into thinking its Duck:RollEyes: James was up early the other morning to shoot rabbit but had no luck. There does seem to be plenty about, I fancy we might have a couple for the weekend.

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
I had thoughts of getting one of those 'gas' repeaters, what are they like

Peter

Hi Peter they are worlds apart from the old spring jobbys :thumb: you would need to use one to appreciate the difference -- think 1980 m/h to a new one ::bigsmile:
My brother owned a field sports shop so over the last 5 yrs I got to shoot with most air rifles made (until shop closed 2 yrs back)The ones like Jims are very easy to increase the power of (excellent guns)but that creates a problem by needing different ammo :ROFLMAO: plus if you get caught with it over the 12lbft limit you will be in big doh das :ROFLMAO:MY FAVS Chinese monkey guns you could turn these up to well over 100 lbsft :Eeek::Eeek:
One ex army customer brought a 9 mm one in for us to try,that was awesome--totally illegal -- but made you wonder why they have bullet guns :ROFLMAO:
terry

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
ya know, i didnt think air rifles were still this popular.

havent had one for 30 years (BSA .22 breakbarrel with tele's) so i guess things have improved a bit.

been thinking about it for a while so might go for it......any suggestions for a starter rifle for not a lot of money?

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
Here you go Jim
How to power up your gun
[ame="http://http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OEb7Oeif-C4"]here[/ame]

Jul 29, 2007
Ipswich
Funster No
MH
RV and PVC
Exp
30 years
Hi when I was at school we machined a break barrel rifle to take a starting pistol blank, put pin on the end of the piston and had ourselves a real gun. ::bigsmile: also did the same to a webley pistol, but got bubbled to the police; so we had to lose them quick.

Not really sure if they where anymore powerfull, but they sounded good. ::bigsmile:

Olley

Apr 29, 2009
West Yorkshire...Halifax
Funster No
MH
Vanless....BUT....!!!!
Exp
Since 2007
Air Rifles

Yes I too am an Air Arms Owners Club member,I actually have an S400 in ,22 calibre that for the .177 girlies is the BIG BOYS calibre.No seriously I have always shot .22 but that is my preference as for not hitting the target it don't happen I always hit what I aim at (Army Training 1 shot 1 hit ya see)
I have a small permission I can shoot on and do on a regular basis keeps the wabbits and flyin rats down:thumb::thumb:

OP
OP
scotjimland

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
Timberland
been thinking about it for a while so might go for it......any suggestions for a starter rifle for not a lot of money?

Hi John

Bit like buying a motorhome.. depends on how much is not a little.. :roflmto:

Cheap imported Chinese start at around £30 .. but IMO a waste of money ..

Have a look at this site for idea of prices .. Link Removed they used to do mail order but that's illegal now, you can order but it must be delivered to a gun shop for collection..

starting price for a half decent rifle is around £180 .. plus £100 for a reasonable scope and mounts..

German rifles by Weirhauch are excellent but the exchange rate has made them less attractive now.. I've had three in the past .. cannot fault them but my preference is now Air Arms..

Visit your local gun shop and see what's in stock.. a decent shop won't sell crap..:Smile:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back