Free Member
Jan 19, 2014
south shields
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
since 1990
Yes they were linked in a thread a month or so back and I thought it would be worth a look..
Had a look at the instructions when it arrived and the initial calibration seemed a bit involved... especially the ammeter function, it mentioned a current of around 280amps been used.. not really feasible. Just not sure how important that calibration will be,and I put it to one side to play with at a later date...
I have the Stirling pmp fitted but might replace it with this unit just as a comparison as it's only a fraction of the price...
Sorry can't be more help just yet..
Pic of the bits that arrived..
Ta Andy. .
20150726_194611.jpg

Techno

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jul 28, 2010
Leeds the one up North
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7090F 3 litre 160
Exp
May 2010
Usually the set up involves inputting the total battery capacity (AH) and setting the current reading to ZERO when you are sure nothing is going in or out.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

O

Old Soldier

Deleted User
Yes they were linked in a thread a month or so back and I thought it would be worth a look..
Had a look at the instructions when it arrived and the initial calibration seemed a bit involved... especially the ammeter function, it mentioned a current of around 280amps been used.. not really feasible. Just not sure how important that calibration will be,and I put it to one side to play with at a later date...
I have the Stirling pmp fitted but might replace it with this unit just as a comparison as it's only a fraction of the price...
Sorry can't be more help just yet..
Pic of the bits that arrived..
Ta Andy. .
View attachment 70433

Hi Andy. Do you know if it can be inserted to part of the 12v circuit or does it need to be mounted across the leasure battery terminals?
Thanks.

Techno

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jul 28, 2010
Leeds the one up North
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7090F 3 litre 160
Exp
May 2010
Usually at the battery and ALL the -Ve's have to go on the Shunt so only one negative connected to the battery

Techno

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jul 28, 2010
Leeds the one up North
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7090F 3 litre 160
Exp
May 2010
Typical BM-1 arrangement. See here I've used a busbar to accommodate all the negatives from one side of the shunt. The other side of the shunt goes on its own to the battery negatives
IMG_0782-X2.jpg

Techno

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jul 28, 2010
Leeds the one up North
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7090F 3 litre 160
Exp
May 2010
My BM-1 came with the van but personally I would not have bothered. The voltage reading on my overdoor panel tells me all I need to know.
Anyone who understands on load off load daylight night time voltage readings needs nothing more

O

Old Soldier

Deleted User
Typical BM-1 arrangement. See here I've used a busbar to accommodate all the negatives from one side of the shunt. The other side of the shunt goes on its own to the battery negatives
IMG_0782-X2.jpg

Thanks Andy. My battery is mounted under the drivers seat so don't think it would be suitable for me.

andy63

Free Member
Jan 19, 2014
south shields
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
since 1990
Anyone who understands on load off load daylight night time voltage readings needs nothing more
Hi andy, that may be so , but the number of posts ive read about people asking about the state of their batteries and their electrical usage has always prompted me to say that the best way fwd is fitting a pmp...
that way all the guess work is taken out of it with the net amp hours displayed at any one time... some of the voltage indicators in vans are just an led ladder and to me never seem adequate..
I find the stirling panel in the van great ...reminding me that things are switched on I meant to have off just by looking at the current reading, and always displays the net amp hour reading on the leisure battery bank.
just my thoughts but see what you are saying..

on the cheap pmp mentioned above they say it needs calibrating for zero and high current and with the 300amp shunt version suggest a current of 280amps for the high current which would be difficult to achieve..
they also say you need a 33v source to calibrate the low and high voltage settings...ive put it away for now but would like to try it as its a lot cheaper than the normal pmp available
ta andy.

IanS

Free Member
May 1, 2015
Glasgow, Glasgow (City of)
Funster No
MH
Overcab
Exp
A long time
I've got a Nasa BM2 and love it, yes it's stupidly expensive, but I never use hook ups so knowing at a glance how the solar panel is charging, the state of charge and my current drain in the evening is well worth it. The BM2 will also tell you the starter battery voltage, nice to know when parked up for a few days

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
HAs anyone used one of these to monitor charge into and out of the leisure battery?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/DC-0-120V-0-30A-Voltage-Current-Capacity-Power-Charge-Discharge-Battery-Monitor/181289920812?_trksid=p2047675.c100005.m1851&_trkparms=aid=222007&algo=SIC.MBE&ao=1&asc=20140122125356&meid=90bdf4e97b5747ad92444ac58ab6015b&pid=100005&rk=2&rkt=6&mehot=pp&sd=351148914510

Seems to be a bit cheaper than a Nasa BM1.
There seems to be a few of varying current range (e.g. 0-30A, 0-100A) what range would be needed for a typical MH leisure battery?
I have fitted the 50 amp version in my van, works well only critisism is the sample rate is high and not adjustable.
They come calibrated and if you do need to do it ,it is quite easy.

IanS

Free Member
May 1, 2015
Glasgow, Glasgow (City of)
Funster No
MH
Overcab
Exp
A long time
I have fitted the 50 amp version in my van, works well only critisism is the sample rate is high and not adjustable.
They come calibrated and if you do need to do it ,it is quite easy.

Certainly a good price, with the shunt actually in the unit, it would be best mounted close to the battery with heavy cables, the advantage of the BM2 is it can be mounted remotely. It's also a nicer LCD display and just fun to use (maybe that's just me)
I like the marine stuff because of the quality and reliability, a flat battery could be a bit inconvenient on a boat, but it is costly

OP
OP
stevec
Sep 24, 2013
Norwich
Funster No
MH
Carthago A class
Exp
Since 2014
Good point about the built in shunt. Not what I want. Similar units with external shunt on ebay from same seller.
Broken Link Removed

OP
OP
stevec
Sep 24, 2013
Norwich
Funster No
MH
Carthago A class
Exp
Since 2014
Andy,
You have the LED unit. Any idea if the LEDs are lit all the time (and therefore taking more current) or do they go off until a button is pressed? Concerned about the amount of current drawn over a long period of time. Maybe need a switch fitting.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Certainly a good price, with the shunt actually in the unit, it would be best mounted close to the battery with heavy cables, the advantage of the BM2 is it can be mounted remotely. It's also a nicer LCD display and just fun to use (maybe that's just me)
I like the marine stuff because of the quality and reliability, a flat battery could be a bit inconvenient on a boat, but it is costly
Shunt is separate mounted mine next to the batteries and meter on the panel with all the other controls.

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
You are concerned over the LED panel drawing current ?:eek::(
I have a very different approach ;) if I turn on a switch and it works it's OK (y)if not then I HAVE A PROBLEM:D Not concerned about what reads what,only got a very basic swing thing that shows red,amber,green -so long as it's in green it's OK by me :LOL::LOL::LOL:
terry

OP
OP
stevec
Sep 24, 2013
Norwich
Funster No
MH
Carthago A class
Exp
Since 2014
Terry, I'm an engineer and I like numbers! I've had a Tracer MPPT regulator and display in my current van for 15 months and still look at it regularly. I'm disappointed that my replacement van only has a simple analog meter as a monitor as opposed to my current Sargent display. Gotta have some numbers to look at!!

Abacist

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 15, 2013
Devon
Funster No
MH
N & B Tag Axle
Exp
since 2013
I have just installed a BM2 and am getting the Voltage readings for the Hab batteries and the Cab battery and am getting what is being input in amps when on charge and what is being drawn out in amps when powering something.

However I am not getting the right hand bar graph to show the stored amp hours in the hab batteries in spite of inputting the battery bank capacity of amp hours.

The manual talks of doing a 20 hour test on the hab batteries. Is this what I need to do for the BM2 to "learn" the capacity of the batteries by seeing a full discharge and re-charge?

Apart from fitting the last temperature sensor on the Sterling to my alternator my new set up of new battery bank, Sterling B to B and Inverter is now up and running and I tested the inverter by running the hoover off it when tidying up - success!

Techno

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jul 28, 2010
Leeds the one up North
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7090F 3 litre 160
Exp
May 2010
I didn't know the BM2 could monitor the cab battery too? are you sure
As for your question no I'm sorry I took the one out that was previously fitted and binned it.

Abacist

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 15, 2013
Devon
Funster No
MH
N & B Tag Axle
Exp
since 2013
Here is a link to the NASA BM2 manual:-

http://www.nasamarine.com/manuals/

See para 12 on page 3 and the diagram on page 3 - you need to supply your own cable for that connection but everything else is supplied.

Techno

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jul 28, 2010
Leeds the one up North
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7090F 3 litre 160
Exp
May 2010
Mmm yes I see but that wasn't utilised on the one I inherited. It does say tho
Yes it can monitor the engine start battery voltage. "The open current voltage of the starter battery can be used to estimate its state of charge"
That is how I monitor all my batteries without a BM

Peter A Forbes

Free Member
Nov 23, 2014
Rushden, Northants, UK
Funster No
MH
Mercedes 614D
Exp
10+

Andy:

Does the length of that busbar introduce any significant error into the readings taken along its length?

We use 60mV shunts for all our chargers up to 100kW output, but we find that even heavy cabling still brings enough mV error to skew readings if we include that cabling as well as the shunt.

We use the shunt both for the charger current limiting and for metering, but we also have a low-current disconnect board which we need more sensitivity on, so we add the bit of cable from the shunt to the output fuse which gives us 10mV - 20mV extra signal for that board only.

In your case I just wondered how much that bus bar drops?

Peter

Techno

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jul 28, 2010
Leeds the one up North
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7090F 3 litre 160
Exp
May 2010
No Idea Peter I removed it completely more recently.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back