Free Member
Jun 4, 2015
spain/uk
Funster No
MH
a class
Exp
2 years
i know its a rv but why can i not get on the same sites as a tugger, they are well over 11 metres

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
the longest caravan is 7.5 metres in the uk. the unit is only longer if the tow vehicle remains coupled up. whereas an 11metre motorhome is too long for a standard pitch, an uncoupled caravan is fine

Zepp

Free Member
Jun 22, 2008
Roaming
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
7 Years
If you ring a site they may have a extra long pitches where you can overhang. Its not just the pitches it may be the access road .

Paul

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

trekkin

Free Member
Sep 12, 2014
Staffordshire
Funster No
MH
Rv
Exp
5 years but still learning
Hi

An 11m will probably have a 3+metre overhang at the rear, so provided the pitches are not enclosed with a boundary or back to back you can hover your overhang over the grass at the back so fitting on an 8m pitch, then you just need the access

Talking to wardens is useful. If they are not helpful then they will only find problems when you turn up, if however you find the warden helpful then nothing will be a problem

CC&C and CC are able to take 10m on some site/pitches so I suppose it's down to how accurately you measure your RV

Gellyneck

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
More than toes wet now!
the longest caravan is 7.5 metres in the uk. the unit is only longer if the tow vehicle remains coupled up. whereas an 11metre motorhome is too long for a standard pitch, an uncoupled caravan is fine
Some have a shipping length of over 8m, eg Adria Astella and Bailey Retreat (just shy of 9m).

Candapack

Free Member
Oct 16, 2014
Fife, Scotland
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2013
Just out of interest ianandkath, how do you get on driving through built up areas?
Size wise, how does your RV compare with, eg, a furniture van, which has to get into town centres?
I'm asking because I have a 6m. van just now, looking at upsizing to (max) 7.4m., and a bit nervous about it.
Cheers,

madgeD

Free Member
Aug 17, 2014
Cleveland
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
since 2005
Maybe if you say you will uncouple once sited and move the front to the car park ??
but hey when we had our Kontiki I was waiting to check in and an assistant warden came in and said "there is a flippin big motorhome waiting to come in!! we were only just over 21ft !! that was CCC I piped up and told her she said "they damage the pitch!! We never move our van off site once sited ! unlike the big land rovers pulling large vans.

madgeD

Free Member
Aug 17, 2014
Cleveland
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
since 2005
Just out of interest ianandkath, how do you get on driving through built up areas?
Size wise, how does your RV compare with, eg, a furniture van, which has to get into town centres?
I'm asking because I have a 6m. van just now, looking at upsizing to (max) 7.4m., and a bit nervous about it.
Cheers,
Well just imaging driving your van with a caravan behind you !

Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
Some have a shipping length of over 8m, eg Adria Astella and Bailey Retreat (just shy of 9m).

but in reality you will only ever see these towed behind transits and pick ups, so will be banned for other reasons :D

they have never been tourers, hopefully Mondeo man doesn't think so anyway :)

MicknPat

Free Member
Dec 16, 2007
Touring UK
Funster No
MH
39ft American A class RV
Exp
Since Oct 2007
i know its a rv but why can i not get on the same sites as a tugger, they are well over 11 metres

If you are talking about the Caravan Clubs sites, for years ALL caravanners & motorhome owners would regard their 'Outfit' as being BOTH the car and caravan, then the god in the ivory towers at CC HQ re-wrote the dictionary to now make the 'Outfit' as being just the caravan or motor home.

They also started with the Maximum permitted length lark which kept being reduced along with some wardens who wearing their Jobs Worth hats even refused some large motor homes on their site that had previously visited and stayed because their length was over the Maximum Permitted length that had been reduced and reduced.

On a good note I'm led to believe the maximum length lets say it says 9m doesn't mean that you cannot visit that site with anything over, NO it means that ALL pitches on that site can accommodate a 9m unit, even though the site may have several than could take even a 12m unit, it means you have to contact the site direct and just hope Mr or Mrs Jobs Worth doesn't answer.Broken Link Removed

CWH

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 29, 2014
UK
Funster No
MH
WildAx PVC
Exp
From November 2013
If you are talking about the Caravan Clubs sites, for years ALL caravanners & motorhome owners would regard their 'Outfit' as being BOTH the car and caravan, then the god in the ivory towers at CC HQ re-wrote the dictionary to now make the 'Outfit' as being just the caravan or motor home.

They also started with the Maximum permitted length lark which kept being reduced along with some wardens who wearing their Jobs Worth hats even refused some large motor homes on their site that had previously visited and stayed because their length was over the Maximum Permitted length that had been reduced and reduced.

On a good note I'm led to believe the maximum length lets say it says 9m doesn't mean that you cannot visit that site with anything over, NO it means that ALL pitches on that site can accommodate a 9m unit, even though the site may have several than could take even a 12m unit, it means you have to contact the site direct and just hope Mr or Mrs Jobs Worth doesn't answer.Broken Link Removed

WARNING: Sight topic deviation coming up.

So in what other jobs would you also expect the worker to break health and safety rules, set by their employers and possibly also bound by their insurance conditions, in order to satisfy the customer?

Why is breaking their conditions of service NOT worth more than holding their job?

denisejoe

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 6, 2014
Warden isle of sheppy
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2004
most
Cheers,
can be quite easy as even in london most towns and cities have buses I use to drive them all over London its not that hard you soon get used to the length.

joe

Brian and Jo

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 24, 2007
oswestry,shropshire
Funster No
MH
A-Class N+B Arto 88F
Exp
Been motorhoming for 15yrs.had an American RV for 7yrs,Now got a Niesmann Bischoff Arto 88F
I can honestly say that in the 20yrs of camping,caravanning ,RV,ing and motorhoming we have never had a problem with a site.be it CC , C&CC or private site.the biggest Motorhome we have had was 38ft and the one we have now is 29ft.If the site cannot physically take your unit then there is not a lot the wardens can do.just find another site.there is a lot of great sites out there that take RV,s and large motorhomes and as said we have never had a problem.We always use CC sites where possible,they are always very clean and well serviced and you know what you are getting,ok not the cheapest but for us it works.
Brian & Jo

Gellyneck

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
More than toes wet now!
but in reality you will only ever see these towed behind transits and pick ups, so will be banned for other reasons :D

they have never been tourers, hopefully Mondeo man doesn't think so anyway :)

Do agree with you David but have been on a site when a Bailey Retreat arrived being pulled by a Mitsubishi Shogun!:eek:(n)

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
Cheers,

Ours is 7.4 and I've never had a problem taking it anywhere

Gorse Hill

Free Member
Feb 2, 2013
Stretford
Funster No
MH
Burnster Ixeo IT 734
Exp
Cheers,
Don't worry to much, I had the same concern when I got my first M/H at just over 7 Mtrs, had a caravan for many years, been everywhere down single track country roads, all round France and a lot of small villages in the UK never had a problem or even felt under pressure at any time so go for it and enjoy the extra space
The only thing you might need to be more careful with is the width, if it was a PVC Van there usually 2.10 wide and most of the Coachbuilt are 2.30/5 (Baileys a little wider)

wasp

Free Member
Dec 21, 2008
Warsop
Funster No
MH
None gone caravannin
Exp
I used to tow a 28 foot Hobby with a LWB Toyota van I think that were about 15 metres total it was fun to drive me camper now is 28 ft we have been told by some sites that we would not get on but if they can accommodate a 25ft caravan they should take up to 30ft camper

CWH

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 29, 2014
UK
Funster No
MH
WildAx PVC
Exp
From November 2013
if they can accommodate a 25ft caravan they should take up to 30ft camper
If the pitch is 25ft long.....? with hedges at the rear boundary.....?

OP
OP
ianandkath

ianandkath

Free Member
Jun 4, 2015
spain/uk
Funster No
MH
a class
Exp
2 years
its not the length, most of the time its the width, mine is 99" wide, or 8 foot 3", slightly wider than a large lorry or bus, i have been "stuck" sometimes with parked cars on both sides of the road.
thats where the other half comes in handy to guide me passed them.
mostly its the tight entrance that is the trouble, okay for a tugger as they bend, but very tight for me.

Aug 27, 2014
Shropshire
Funster No
MH
McLouis Tandy 640+
Exp
Since 2014

I'd agree with others that it's more the width than the length that will restrict you, especially at this kind of size.

My 7.5m van won't fit in a single car parking space, but then neither will a 6m van.

I've never failed to get down a road yet, but with a fairly wide coachbuilt van it can be a bit tight at times with oncoming traffic on some country B roads! Long term, when the kids have flown the nest, I can see me looking for a narrow-bodied A class or coachbuilt van as we do like to go exploring down (very!) minor roads.

A few inches on the width I think will make a real difference, but a 3-4 feet on the length I don't believe matters so much.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back