New Year in Spain - Wintering (1 Viewer)

Dave and Ginny

Free Member
Jan 31, 2013
Nottingham
Funster No
MH
Hymer Starline 680
Exp
Since 2011, previously a tugger
Being totally fed up with this British Summer...what summer? :( our thoughts are turning again to the lovely warm Spain we left behind a month ago. The Caravan Club winter brochure dropping through the post has us thinking about heading down to Spain straight after the new year and having two months or so (Jan/Feb/Mar/) on a winter site before then meandering again as we normally do.

Whats the best way to go about this; through the CC or C&CC, ACSI or deal with sites we know about directly? We know it's already getting booked up so need to get our fingers out :). Looking at places between Valencia and Almeria.

Tips from experienced 'overwinterers' greatly appreciated (y)

Dave and Ginny

mariner

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 21, 2013
Isle of Dogs, but mostly Artola Spain.
Funster No
MH
Caravan
Exp
Since 2007. But no more.
Do it yourself. Use ACSI where possible and if you plan a long stay, you will get good discounts which usually you can pay monthly in arrears.

Don't pre-book unless, it's a site you know and you like.

There are plenty of Campsites right down the Costas, so plenty of choice.

:cooler:

Sep 26, 2013
Market Rasen
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2003
There are plenty of campsites on the coast but many will also be full during January and February so your choice will be limited. If you have a site in mind then I would see what the rates are through one of the club's although you will have to pay up front.
We have booked a site through the Camping Club but because we are staying for 156 days the rate is £7.35 a night.

Mike

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jul 29, 2013
Salisbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL A class
Exp
since 2011
We have been down the last two years leaving mid December and returning April/May.Havent needed to book a site yet we use ACSI and aires,I think if you are looking at Benidorm or similar you may need to book but we prefer the less populated areas.

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2007
Lincs/Cambs border
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp
Since May 05 (Ex Tuggers).
Being totally fed up with this British Summer...what summer? :( our thoughts are turning again to the lovely warm Spain we left behind a month ago. The Caravan Club winter brochure dropping through the post has us thinking about heading down to Spain straight after the new year and having two months or so (Jan/Feb/Mar/) on a winter site before then meandering again as we normally do.

Whats the best way to go about this; through the CC or C&CC, ACSI or deal with sites we know about directly? We know it's already getting booked up so need to get our fingers out :). Looking at places between Valencia and Almeria.

Tips from experienced 'overwinterers' greatly appreciated (y)

Dave and Ginny
Thanks for asking the question Dave. It is something we have wondered about too, and as we've only been the once to Spain (Denia & Calpe) we don't know any sites, so will be keeping an interest in the replies.

Cheers for now,

Jock. :)

Sep 26, 2013
Market Rasen
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2003
Thanks for asking the question Dave. It is something we have wondered about too, and as we've only been the once to Spain (Denia & Calpe) we don't know any sites, so will be keeping an interest in the replies.

Cheers for now,

Jock. :)
Have a look at the Winter Sun book from the Camping Club which will give you an idea of some of the sites, you can view it online.

Mike

OP
OP
Dave and Ginny

Dave and Ginny

Free Member
Jan 31, 2013
Nottingham
Funster No
MH
Hymer Starline 680
Exp
I'm guessing that if your travelling out before next years ACSI had dropped on the mat at home you will need to have it sent on. Although I pre ordered this year's I don't seem to remember it arriving until January...but I could be wrong!

Sep 26, 2013
Market Rasen
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2003
I'm guessing that if your travelling out before next years ACSI had dropped on the mat at home you will need to have it sent on. Although I pre ordered this year's I don't seem to remember it arriving until January...but I could be wrong!
For the last three years we have bought the ACSI book in Spain at a caravan dealers type place mainly for use on the way home. Long stay rates will work out cheaper than using the ACSI card.

OP
OP
Dave and Ginny

Dave and Ginny

Free Member
Jan 31, 2013
Nottingham
Funster No
MH
Hymer Starline 680
Exp
For the last three years we have bought the ACSI book in Spain at a caravan dealers type place mainly for use on the way home. Long stay rates will work out cheaper than using the ACSI card.

That's handy to know, we would probably go for an initial long stay for the first couple of months and then get mobile using ACSI. We still want to head south west and up through Portugal...had planned to this year but ran out of time!

OP
OP
Dave and Ginny

Dave and Ginny

Free Member
Jan 31, 2013
Nottingham
Funster No
MH
Hymer Starline 680
Exp
There are plenty of campsites on the coast but many will also be full during January and February so your choice will be limited. If you have a site in mind then I would see what the rates are through one of the club's although you will have to pay up front.
We have booked a site through the Camping Club but because we are staying for 156 days the rate is £7.35 a night.

Mike

Mike, £7.35 a night is a fantastic rate but looking at the Caravan Club's choices on the coast they're coming in at at least double that and more than the high end ACSI rate. When you say 'Camping Club' do you mean the Caravan and Camping Club? If it is I'm not currently a member of that one but may be worth joining again as you can book as a non member but they hit you hard!

Cheers Dave

OP
OP
Dave and Ginny

Dave and Ginny

Free Member
Jan 31, 2013
Nottingham
Funster No
MH
Hymer Starline 680
Exp
depending on what you want but the only place total open at that time and also has the weather is benidorm a couple of acsi sites but discounted on all sites depending on the length of stay

Stayed at Arena Blanca in Benidorm in the Spring, enjoyed it, we saw a lot of other sites that I now can't remember the names, any recommendations ukbill?

mariner

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 21, 2013
Funster No
MH
Caravan
Exp
Since 2007. But no more.
I would avoid those sights that don't include electricity!

They are OK for short stays but if you're planning a long stay, a few cold days and nights can mean a big electric bill.
The average charge for metered electricity is between .30 and .35 cents per kwh.

OP
OP
Dave and Ginny

Dave and Ginny

Free Member
Jan 31, 2013
Nottingham
Funster No
MH
Hymer Starline 680
Exp
I would avoid those sights that don't include electricity!

They are OK for short stays but if you're planning a long stay, a few cold days and nights can mean a big electric bill.
The average charge for metered electricity is between .30 and .35 cents per kwh.

I thought most of the longer stay sites had metered electricity? ...but you're saying that some include it in the overall daily rate mariner. Any recommendations please? (y)

Brisey

Deceased RIP
Sep 4, 2007
Sutton on Sea
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2003
I thought most of the longer stay sites had metered electricity? ...but you're saying that some include it in the overall daily rate mariner. Any recommendations please? (y)

At Villasol last year 2kw hour of electricity per day was included in the daily rate.

I believe this is also the case at Torreta and El Raco.
Brisey.

OP
OP
Dave and Ginny

Dave and Ginny

Free Member
Jan 31, 2013
Nottingham
Funster No
MH
Hymer Starline 680
Exp
From a quick look...it appears the only site with availability is Villasol coming in at 1320 euro + 276 for electric for 60 days...that comes in at 26.6 euro a day. That's booking directly on their site and considerably dearer than an ACSI rate. How are folk getting these low rates I keep hearing of? :unsure:

ukbill

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 3, 2011
Pinoso
Funster No
MH
4 berth low profile
Exp
starting on saturday 10/3/2012
el raco is my choice tbh it includes 2kw leci and i find thats enough normally i have my fridge on gas anyway i will be back there in about a week so let me know what u want me to check and i will

mariner

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 21, 2013
Funster No
MH
Caravan
Exp
Since 2007. But no more.
I know for certain that Camping Cabopino includes electricity and the average daily rate for 30+ days is around €14 per day.

I believe most of the sites between Malaga to Marbella also include electricity.

If you have sufficient gas to last your stay, or a means of getting more, when you need it, you need not worry too much about metered electricity.

Some sites may be full on Spanish festivals or holidays, but they are in my experience rarely so full that you can't get on, just maybe not on a parcela you like.

2kwh isn't going to last long on a cold Benidorm winters day or night, unless you have plenty of gas.

OP
OP
Dave and Ginny

Dave and Ginny

Free Member
Jan 31, 2013
Nottingham
Funster No
MH
Hymer Starline 680
Exp
Lots to think about, I've just been looking at the C&CC winter sites, there not really where we would ideally want to be, although Camping Alegria Del Mar where our Rally was held in March is on there and only £8.95 a night all inclusive of electric, not bad even with a £20 non member booking fee. I think one or two funsters were considering it for this year.

Deleted User
We stayed at Bolnuevo/Mazarron, Murcia after the March rally it's called Playa de Mazarron. Open all year ACSI rate us 16 euro. We liked it, right on beach, good selection of bars and restaurants in Bolnuevo, can walk/bus or easy bike ride to Mazarron. We are planning on returning. We met @MikeD and his wife there and if I remember correctly they go each year so might be able to advise on longer stay rates.

Lin :)

mariner

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 21, 2013
Funster No
MH
Caravan
Exp
Since 2007. But no more.
Lots to think about, I've just been looking at the C&CC winter sites, there not really where we would ideally want to be, although Camping Alegria Del Mar where our Rally was held in March is on there and only £8.95 a night all inclusive of electric, not bad even with a £20 non member booking fee. I think one or two funsters were considering it for this year.

I wonder if that's maybe a little too far north for the winter sun!

I would be interested to know if any one has sampled it's delights in January or February, and what the weather was like.

Might give it a try on my way south in October.

OP
OP
Dave and Ginny

Dave and Ginny

Free Member
Jan 31, 2013
Nottingham
Funster No
MH
Hymer Starline 680
Exp
@Milliemobile Hi Lin and Nige, we also went to Playa de Mazarron in May and thought it was a good site and as you say easy access to Mazarron. Ideally though looking to try to find somewhere with a heated indoor pool and reasonable easy access to a decent size supermarket if were going to haul up for a couple of months. Benidorm would have been ideal but looks like not a lot left there!

Hope your both well and good....and the dogs of course (y) Dave and Ginny

OP
OP
Dave and Ginny

Dave and Ginny

Free Member
Jan 31, 2013
Nottingham
Funster No
MH
Hymer Starline 680
Exp
I wonder if that's maybe a little too far north for the winter sun!

I would be interested to know if any one has sampled it's delights in January or February, and what the weather was like.

Might give it a try on my way south in October.

It was a bit chilly to be honest in early March, but the Benidorm 'crowd' had all said that it hadn't been that great in Jan and Feb with them...wind problem I think and nowt to do with the beer or too many kebabs. Would prefer further south, anyone tried Kiko Park? £10.75 per night, close to beach and 1.5 miles from Oliva.

Zepp

Free Member
Jun 22, 2008
Roaming
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
7 Years
We spent a week at Kiki Park its right on the beach nice site , 10 mins bike ride to a good supermarket . Not sure I would want to spend more than a week there .

Paul

Deleted User
@Milliemobile Hi Lin and Nige, we also went to Playa de Mazarron in May and thought it was a good site and as you say easy access to Mazarron. Ideally though looking to try to find somewhere with a heated indoor pool and reasonable easy access to a decent size supermarket if were going to haul up for a couple of months. Benidorm would have been ideal but looks like not a lot left there!

Hope your both well and good....and the dogs of course (y) Dave and Ginny
Hi yeah great thanks, you guys must be well, busy planning :)
We have been testing a drive away awning, seems to work well so hopefully can pitch at places like Mazarron and once a week or so drive off to stock up on heavy stuff, wine, beer, dog food :D

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back