Free Member
Jun 2, 2010
Melrose Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Hymer B774
Exp
Since 2010
We were driving towards Aberfeldy from the A9 a couple of days ago, just thinking that it was a treat to have a two lane road with a white line down the middle (we'd been up in the sticks wild camping and driving on single track roads) ... Shirley was driving and I was map reading when she suddenly shrieked and stood on the brakes. Coming towards us was a small car overtaking a large bus with no hope of getting round him. He just kept on coming and took no avoiding action at all.
She managed somehow to swerve off the road and into a farm driveway.
We were seconds from a head on collision. Truly terrifying. Makes you think doesn't it?

Gellyneck

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
More than toes wet now!
And not an infrequent occurrence on the A9. The quicker it's motorwayed the better.
Glad your safe and sound.

irnbru

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 27, 2013
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Benimar 264
Exp
11 yrs
Glad you are both ok.
For this very reason thats why its always been known as the killer A9.
Just as well someones wits were about them.

CWH

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 29, 2014
UK
Funster No
MH
WildAx PVC
Exp
From November 2013
Well done our Shirley! :clap2:
So glad you're unscathed, if a bit shaken

And they complain about "women drivers" .....

mike mcglynn

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jan 6, 2008
St. Helens MERSEYSIDE
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Warwick XL
Exp
A long time now
Hi,glad you both made it ok, but dont you find the standard of driving skills are sadly lacking in todays world ,when we were on our way to the Makems rally recently I was watching so many people as they passed me on the motorway on their phones texting it was truly frightening ,my daughter bumped into a guy on the M6 who stopped suddenly for no apparent reason he never even got out of his car and just drove away, luckily no great damage to her or the car but what on earth was he doing.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

WAG2CRU

Free Member
May 31, 2012
Argyll
Funster No
MH
Hymer B654SL Star Edition
Exp
since2012
Well done for the evasive action.

This situation is all to common, its a big problem in Argyll, there was another head on crash between two motorbikes on the A83 at the weekend.

It could be drivers get confused, they thing the ESP switch ensures they can overtake without being able to see!:eek:

OP
OP
Mags52

Mags52

Free Member
Jun 2, 2010
Melrose Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Hymer B774
Exp
Since 2010
Thanks everyone for the kind thoughts. It was the first time that I thought a dashcam was maybe a good idea. Actually we'd left the A9 and were on the side road to Aberfeldy but it's true that incidents like that happen on the A9 all the time.
Really grateful to have escaped a nasty accident.

ianandkath

Free Member
Jun 4, 2015
spain/uk
Funster No
MH
a class
Exp
2 years
very glad that you are ok and no one was hurt,
check the thread ,,,too fast,,, it was prob one of them ha ha ha

M

Madwife

Deleted User
Well done Shirley! Glad you are both ok and able to tell the story. We drove down from Dunnet Bay to Bunree today on the A9 and A82. The number of near misses that we saw was staggering. Overtaking on blind corners, overtaking at excessive speed in 30mph zones, pedal cyclists weaving about the road to name but a few. I am just surprised that there aren't more accidents.

Kath x

Nov 6, 2013
East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B574DL
Exp
Since 2011 (tugger for 20 before that)
Congratulations on some good intuitive driving (y)
There are some real idiots on our roads which is why we have to drive with extra care and attention.
Glad all was ok.

cruiser

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 12, 2012
northampton
Funster No
MH
coach built elddis 400
Exp
since 1978
glad you are both ok. as a truck driver I used the a9 quite a lot. and apart from the bad driving on it. I have seen some very bad accidents with some very large deer. so be very careful if driving in bad light. they blend in very well.

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
glad you are both ok. as a truck driver I used the a9 quite a lot. and apart from the bad driving on it. I have seen some very bad accidents with some very large deer. so be very careful if driving in bad light. they blend in very well.

Yes, those deer around there are bloody TERRIBLE drivers !!

Carol

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 2, 2007
North Wales.
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
18 years s Motorhome (33years caravans)
Good to hear you are both ok, those moments are scary though.

Jan 28, 2008
Dovercourt, Harwich, UK
Funster No
MH
Renalt burstner
Exp
7 years campers before that
i overtook a guy on the motorway recently who had a clip board wedged on the steering wheel and a phone in one hand texting

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Ah, heading to the distillery then!:whistle:

Particularly, the auld dears!:giggle:

THE distillery ! ?
There must be about 20 around the A9 !! We went to 4 or 5 on the bikes a couple of weeks ago, and they were all within a five mile radius !!

Gellyneck

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
More than toes wet now!
THE distillery ! ?
There must be about 20 around the A9 !! We went to 4 or 5 on the bikes a couple of weeks ago, and they were all within a five mile radius !!
You'd better believe it John.
Scotlands highest distillery (Dalwhinnie) is also located just off the A9. You can see it from there.
This is the one in particular I was referring to.
http://www.visitscotland.com/info/see-do/dewars-aberfeldy-distillery-p421491
The visitors centre is not too bad.
If you want "close" Speyside is the place to go. Some of them are nearly opposite each other on the road!

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Whilst up there I met an old customer of mine who works for one the larger establishments who took me round..
Of course I ended up with a wee sample ( litre ;) ) !!

cruiser

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 12, 2012
northampton
Funster No
MH
coach built elddis 400
Exp
since 1978
i think I forgot to mention the drunk motorcyclists . with there free scotch.

Ginge3685

Free Member
Jun 5, 2014
Plymouth
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
K
Well done Shirley! Glad you are both ok and able to tell the story. We drove down from Dunnet Bay to Bunree today on the A9 and A82. The number of near misses that we saw was staggering. Overtaking on blind corners, overtaking at excessive speed in 30mph zones, pedal cyclists weaving about the road to name but a few. I am just surprised that there aren't more accidents.

Kath x
Having had a near miss my self, I have now got a dash cam it seems some sort of madness has taken hold , pulling out of junctions without even looking right

Bobby22

Free Member
Dec 15, 2013
Scotland
Funster No
MH
Rapido 680ff
Exp
since 2013
Dash cam gives me a sense of control..........and patience knowing that i also have to drive within the rules.

Young drivers and country roads are a recipe for trouble.

Feb 5, 2014
mid-Norfolk
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
since 2006
,my daughter bumped into a guy on the M6 who stopped suddenly for no apparent reason he never even got out of his car and just drove away, luckily no great damage to her or the car but what on earth was he doing.

Or, looking at it from a "driving standard " perspective, why was she driving so close that she couldn't stop?

mike mcglynn

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jan 6, 2008
St. Helens MERSEYSIDE
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Warwick XL
Exp
A long time now
Or, looking at it from a "driving standard " perspective, why was she driving so close that she couldn't stop?
Somehow I knew I would be asked that question because I asked her the same one and her reply was well you just dont expect someone to stop for no apparent reason do you ? the resulting bump was minor as she was pretty quick on the brakes but nevertheless I said she was too close for safety .

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back